Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac DeVille 1968.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

When I bought my 1968 Caddy DeVille this spring I noticed that the downshift switch was gone. After quite some searching I found a switch but still I miss the metal lever that connects the downshift switch with the throttle linkage at the carb. The lever has a square hole at bottom where the switch fits and also a return-spring at the top end (I talked to a guy who said it was the same on 1968-1969 models). If there´s anyone out there who has this little but so important part for sale - please drop me line at : [email protected]

Kind regards from Stockholm, Sweden.

Stefan

·
Registered
1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille
159 Posts
Sorry, but you can't have mine. But I thought I'd mention that when I bought my '69, and started messing around with it a bit, I actually found the downshift switch lever on top of the intake manifold, underneath something or other. That was before I even knew that I had a downshift switch. Well, I saved that little bugger and much later when I figured out what it was, I put it back together. So... (1) Maybe you can find yours like I did! or (2) I don't think it would be very hard to make one. I can provide you with dimensions if you want, but if you just make any old lever with the square hole in it, and it contacts the throttle linkage correctly, you could probably follow the directions in the FSM to adjust it correctly. It is supposed to downshift at 60% wide open throttle. If I can be of any more help, let me know. Oh, or (3) You could get an aftermarket one if you're not a restoration purist. (4) I would try cadillactim.com

·
Registered
Cadillac DeVille 1968.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, Brother B !
I have now sent an e-mail to cadillactim.com so we´ll see if he can help me.
If not - do you know of any others who may have an aftermarket one for sale ? Feels like I´ve searched the internet for quite some time now without any success, I´m afraid.

Many regards from Scandinavia !

Stefan

·
Registered
Cadillac DeVille 1968.
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CadillacTim had one for sale so now it´s just to wait for it
to make it all the way across the Atlantic ocean !

Once again - many thanks for the advice Brother B !

Stefan

·
Registered
1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille
159 Posts
Wow! Soon you will be enjoying that awesome TH400 downshift that is so important to the full Cadillac Experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts