Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are all the computer hacks on the forum?

The Operating system on the nav is Microsoft Automotive 5.0.
The HDD and Radio is made by Alpine.

This system should be hackable for an assortment of mods.
Video
External HD
Etc.....

I would also assume the bluetooth will plug in and play seamless.

The BAD NEWS is: it is Microsoft so you know it will CRASH!!! Microsoft sucks!

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
Yea, I'm waiting for a mod to dump some codecs on the drive and using a bootloader or similar initiation method, loading videos off an iPod, DVD data disc, or even better the HDD (assuming a hack allows the copying of that data).

PS: Don't hate on MS, think of it this way: if it crashes, it's hackable.

Btw, is there a kernal version? Because I'm sure it's got to be modified from 5.0 somehow, just trying to pinpoint the exact OS and see if there are things out there for now. So if it's like 5.0.1.20 or something, let me know, or if it has a kernal listed somewhere (on the Xbox's its like at the bottom of the legal rights disclaimer in the About section, don't know if there's a similar section in this system).

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Where are all the computer hacks on the forum?

The Operating system on the nav is Microsoft Automotive 5.0.
The HDD and Radio is made by Alpine.

This system should be hackable for an assortment of mods.
Video
External HD
Etc.....

I would also assume the bluetooth will plug in and play seamless.

The BAD NEWS is: it is Microsoft so you know it will CRASH!!! Microsoft sucks!
Oh sh%t!.....Billl Gates team wrote the operating system for the Navigation/Stereo head unit hardware that is manufactured by Alpine. And all of this is connected to an amplifier and 5:1 speaker system supplied by Bose!

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Yea, I'm waiting for a mod to dump some codecs on the drive and using a bootloader or similar initiation method, loading videos off an iPod, DVD data disc, or even better the HDD (assuming a hack allows the copying of that data).

PS: Don't hate on MS, think of it this way: if it crashes, it's hackable.

Btw, is there a kernal version? Because I'm sure it's got to be modified from 5.0 somehow, just trying to pinpoint the exact OS and see if there are things out there for now. So if it's like 5.0.1.20 or something, let me know, or if it has a kernal listed somewhere (on the Xbox's its like at the bottom of the legal rights disclaimer in the About section, don't know if there's a similar section in this system).
Are we talking about the stereo or a breakfast cereal? All I want to know is if the damn thing will play DVD's while the car is in motion!

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
Sorry, I had higher expectations (e.g. playing videos off ipods or the hard drive). I dunno which breakfast cereal you would prefer, but I'm sure there will be a way. Until I get my very own 08 CTS (which I'm considering soon...maybe I should start a fund you can support haha jk), I can't tell you. I think it will be easy once you get the unit in debug mode (which I need to have the car to know) as that's the way I've gotten it to work with an 07 G35x and the current gen TLs. At least that's the quick and dirty kinda way.

·
Registered
Cadillac
338 Posts
I'd be tempted to throw a ridiculously large HD in there. I'm reasonably sure that the HD in the car is a 2.5" since the automotive hard drives on the toshiba website are all 2.5" and there's a 40GB model. So theoretically it'd be possible to get >200GB with current drives on the market. There's only one thing. Will a typical hard drive survive in the dash of your car with the heat and potholes? Anyone know what model HD is in the car?

Hacks that I'd like to try.....
-Aforementioned large hard drive
-Play audio from any DVD movie without NAV (while car is moving)
-Control older iPods (it's ridiculous that only newer iPods work with the car, there's hundreds of systems that work with old and new iPods)

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
I'd be tempted to throw a ridiculously large HD in there. I'm reasonably sure that the HD in the car is a 2.5" since the automotive hard drives on the toshiba website are all 2.5" and there's a 40GB model. So theoretically it'd be possible to get >200GB with current drives on the market. There's only one thing. Will a typical hard drive survive in the dash of your car with the heat and potholes? Anyone know what model HD is in the car?

Hacks that I'd like to try.....
-Aforementioned large hard drive
-Play audio from any DVD movie without NAV (while car is moving)
-Control older iPods (it's ridiculous that only newer iPods work with the car, there's hundreds of systems that work with old and new iPods)
How about integrate a bluetooth unit to it.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
well there is a USB port.
and I can do tonnnnnnnnes of evil with a USB port.

how about this. turn the car off.

get a double female usb cable.
connect cable to to car usb port and to the port on your laptop.
turn laptop on and wait for it to full load.

then turn the car on.
since its a microsoft operating system your laptop should see the car as an external drive. go ahead and explore. have some fun :)

after that.. I would change the boot sequence in the main strap to read from the usb port first, then the hard drives when booting up. (this is in case you can't browse the dirve normally)
then
get a USB daisy chain (cable to a hub)
get a usb flash or thumb drive (same thing)
load a micro operating system into it, or a paired down version of winxp.. oohlook here you go:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/09/windows_in_your_pocket/
get a usb mouse and a usb keyboard. plug the the three into the hub then the hub into the car then start.

you should boot off the usb drive first by default anyway and viola!
you are running the operating system off the flash drive and should be able to mess with the car all you want.

well those are two easy ways to gain access.
start trying and let me know.

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
good ideas Kael, I'll personally try when i get my CTS, but as for others, let us know how it goes. Only worry I have is the nav screen wont output what's loading from the USB drive on the screen, but is that why you said to have the laptop? or is the laptop just used in your first method?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
wel the first method (usb connection then turn the car on)
what ideally will happen is that on your laptop a new usb device will be detected and installed, you should then be able to browse that device as if it were a drive, poking around at the files on there.

anybody with an 08 cts try this yet?

or anybody with on 08cts in the chicago area willing to let me try? :)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
THere is a bunch of different things that the radio/nav can do that are turned off. There is a system readout feature that is cool that we have seen.. Codes,

I was told you can hook up a printer and do a print screen on codes and settings when they have to do a reflash or save your address book.

Has anyone had training on that yet? A GM engineer was showing us some of the cool stuff at the shop last week.. It was sweet to see.

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
Well superior, don't hesitate to share...unless it's a for your eyes only kinda deal (for dealers), but don't worry, we won't tell.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
the windows auto operating system is actually windows CE with a nice skin.

and there is no end to the stuff you can do with that.

hmm holly crap..
the nav gets info from the car.. that means it has to be connected to the odbc network ( its an 08 so its a CAN system but everyone knows the word "ODBC") so that means.. heh.. guages... reading of everything the car is doing..

muahahhahahahahaa....

I am stil looking for a SDK (software developers kit) for this.

ooh the mayhem.

tell me it has an IR port... IR port.. wireless keyboards.. oh hell we have a USB drive.

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
well im expecting to order mine this saturday, assuming i dont have to wait 6 weeks (which is an assumption i shouldnt make), hopefully i'll have this baby soon and be pullin some of the tricks i've got running on my ppc 6700 (WM5 - also a CE 5 OS I believe), but I'm far from knowing how to do all the stuff you're mentioning Kael...so i hope i dont brick my system right out of the gates haha

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Possibilties sound endless.........

I run a mac so...........

Also I tried to run an Iphone on the aux and it doesnt work?

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
Possibilties sound endless.........

I run a mac so...........

Also I tried to run an Iphone on the aux and it doesnt work?
That's not promising...I hope the 6g ipods work (through the ipod cable), because that may be one of my next purchases...that and a new WM6 phone, but I'll keep my current one for a little bit if it turns out to help in figuring out that OS.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The I phone will work with some adaptor that is not out yet. I was told it should be spring before that.. I have a customer that got it to work because of this plug in control that he had.. It is way cool...

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 2008 CTS
85 Posts
THere is a bunch of different things that the radio/nav can do that are turned off. There is a system readout feature that is cool that we have seen.. Codes,

I was told you can hook up a printer and do a print screen on codes and settings when they have to do a reflash or save your address book.

Has anyone had training on that yet? A GM engineer was showing us some of the cool stuff at the shop last week.. It was sweet to see.
like codes for the DVD, do tell.....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts