Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower my caddy, but I don't know if its worth it. Any suggestions???
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
ToneLOc....nice name. 80's baby, I'm guessin'?


You gotta be more specific. What are your road conditions? What are you looking to gain from lowering it? Handling? Looks? What do you care about in the road feel and ride after the springs are added?
 

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
Joined
·
453 Posts
My opinion is no. CTSs are very well balanced cars and handle quite well stock. I wouldn't want to make it harsher riding and possibly upset its balance or gentle breakaway characteristics just to lower it. It's not like it has huge wheel gaps like most GM cars used to, so I don't even think there's any aesthetic benefits to be gained.
 

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Personally I think the wheel gaps are a little much, especially in the back. Therefore I've picked up a set of Eibach lowering springs from another forum member (thanks Krank!!!) as well as a set of V shocks off of e-bay. Next up on my list is a set of Eibach sway bars and then I'll get it all installed. My understanding from talking with other forum members is it will tighten up the handling of the car and improve asthetics without making the ride excessively harsh. All a matter of personal opinion I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
ToneLOc....nice name. 80's baby, I'm guessin'?


You gotta be more specific. What are your road conditions? What are you looking to gain from lowering it? Handling? Looks? What do you care about in the road feel and ride after the springs are added?
Just internet name. Like 80's music. Well the road is pretty much flat. Live in Fl for now. Im looking for both handling and looks. But leaning more into handling. I would want the car not to feel to floaty, And be more stable when increasing speeds on highway. While taking long road trips. The intake makes it feel that way, since its been added. But if its not worth it, I won't do it. I also want to know how much it will be for labor costs. I dont care about purchasing the springs. But if the labor is outrageous. Id rather do other things. I don't want to feel alot of bumps either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Personally I think the wheel gaps are a little much, especially in the back. Therefore I've picked up a set of Eibach lowering springs from another forum member (thanks Krank!!!) as well as a set of V shocks off of e-bay. Next up on my list is a set of Eibach sway bars and then I'll get it all installed. My understanding from talking with other forum members is it will tighten up the handling of the car and improve asthetics without making the ride excessively harsh. All a matter of personal opinion I guess.
I guess it is a matter of opinion.
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
Tires, rims, and springs all degrade your ride quality. It comes down to how much you're willing to give up.

I have 245x45x18" set up on OEM springs. The ride has been compromised some but I won't give up anymore. I do plan to reduce body lean with stronger sway bars and tower brace. That will complete my "handling package".

Good luck in your choices:thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
Dubbed Stealth said:
Ditto...Ain't nothing to it...but to DO IT!!! Lower that baby....Sure you sacrifice ride a little, but I like to feel my car while I'm driving, also like a stiffer handling..No regrets!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
tonelocdog said:
I would want the car not to feel to floaty,
Lower it...by BTW, I purchased and installed mine at the dealer - total cost, labor, installation, alignment -$500...best thing is, I'm still under warranty and on one occasion they even gave me a set of new springs because there was some rubbing and a weird knock that I would get....
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
I think lowered 20s are very attractive. But they are not without problems.
Camber adjustments, Fender edges cutting into tires, rolling wheel lips, front end alignments and the overall expense. Every problem can be fixed but you need to know going in that there are challenges. I won't even get into the safety issues as its to arguementitive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Hey DDS- for the lowering springs, is it necessary to replace the rear shocks?
I have an 03 too, and was looking to get it lowered.
 

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
Joined
·
3,035 Posts
If you have the self leveling Nivomats, Eibach recommends you install the non-leveling sport shock. I think they run around $75/each. The V version of the Nivomat is very easily lowered with by replacing some spacers. I chose to install the stiffer V shocks since they match the spring rate of the Eibachs. The ride is definitly stiffer. Much more performance feeling. If you have a luxury or base model and you want a sportier ride, Eibachs are the way to go. I originially did it because the wheel gaps were simply too large for my taste, with my 18's. Now they sit nice an even (in the front, rear, and top of the tire). I shimmed my fronts up about a quarter inch, and the rear V Nivomat mod dropped about 1" (of the 1.2" Eibach advertises) so my car sits lower, but level. Now I need bigger sways (next).
 

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
INDO said:
Hey DDS- for the lowering springs, is it necessary to replace the rear shocks?
I have an 03 too, and was looking to get it lowered.
Do you know what shocks you have? If you have the base or luxury package, then you have normal non-leveling shocks so you dont have to worry, but they are a little soft. If you have the sport package, then you have self-leveling shocks, which are difficult if not impossible to work with when it comes to lowering. I bought the v-shocks off of e-bay for $150 because they are a better match for the springs than my luxury shocks and can be modded easily. Once I find some Eibach sway bars, I'll get everything installed. I cant wait until the end of december when I get my next student loan disbursement!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,187 Posts
1500cc said:
My opinion is no. CTSs are very well balanced cars and handle quite well stock. I wouldn't want to make it harsher riding and possibly upset its balance or gentle breakaway characteristics just to lower it. It's not like it has huge wheel gaps like most GM cars used to, so I don't even think there's any aesthetic benefits to be gained.
Lowering it will NOT make it harsher handling I think it will actually improve the handling since your closer to the ground and would get less body roll and the Eibach spring are not expensive at all so I would suggest you do it. When I lowered mine I noticed I can go at faster speeds during sharp turns in the freeway feeling comfortable. After lowering it if you want the best performance I would install the eibach anti roll kit its amazing every turn I make
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everybody got great cadillacs by the way.
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
onephatguy said:
The wheel gap is over a fist high. Lower it, then throw some 20's on it.:highfive: I put Eibach's on mine. Click the link below to see it.:thumbsup:
Have you seen Ody's lowered CTS with 18" wheels? A better alternative IMO.

My opinion on lowering springs versus ride quality. You can't wind a shorter coil and expect it to have the same spring rate as the OEM spring. Each change affect the ride quality..tire size, sidewall height, tire compound, springs and shocks deteriorate the ride quality. How much loss is determined by each individual's tolerance.
 

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
Joined
·
453 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
Lowering it will NOT make it harsher handling I think it will actually improve the handling since your closer to the ground and would get less body roll and the Eibach spring are not expensive at all so I would suggest you do it. When I lowered mine I noticed I can go at faster speeds during sharp turns in the freeway feeling comfortable. After lowering it if you want the best performance I would install the eibach anti roll kit its amazing every turn I make
Lowering it WILL make it harsher riding. Lowering it means there's less suspension travel, and if you're going to keep the car from hitting its bump stops, then the springs HAVE to be stiffer to work within the reduced amount of travel.

And you cannot categorically state that a firmer suspension will automatically handle better. Car makers spend millions of dollars testing and fine tuning every aspect of the suspension (e.g. spring rates, damper rates, geometry, etc.) ensuring they will work perfectly together. Do you really think you can change one part of that equation and automatically make the entire system work better?
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
1500cc said:
Lowering it WILL make it harsher riding. Lowering it means there's less suspension travel, and if you're going to keep the car from hitting its bump stops, then the springs HAVE to be stiffer to work within the reduced amount of travel.
And you cannot categorically state that a firmer suspension will automatically handle better. Car makers spend millions of dollars testing and fine tuning every aspect of the suspension (e.g. spring rates, damper rates, geometry, etc.) ensuring they will work perfectly together. Do you really think you can change one part of that equation and automatically make the entire system work better?
Well said 1500cc!:yup:
Low enough??
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top