Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 sedan deville. The car is that beautiful dark maroon color (I hope you guys know what color I mean) with the bottom stainless steel color (two tone). I wanted to get my windown tinted, but now Im not so sure. I think tinting always looks good on lighter color cars; it offers a good contrast. On this color though, Im not sure. Id hate to waste $$ on the tint job if I hate it. Anyway, I dont like the dark, dark tint (its illegal here anyway), so I was thinking about getting a 50 percent job all around. Than I had the idea of getting the back ones really black, and the fornts 50 perecnt, since the back is like a limo anyway. What do you guys think; anyone have any pictures of a similar car with either kind of tint?

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but I'd recommend it. Check out Car Domain and maybe somebody has a car similar to yours.

The only tinting I don't like is that reflective stuff, and of course the "colored" kind. I don't think it matters what color your car is, just go with basic black or smoky gray and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
You could always go to walmart and get the stick on stuff just to give you an idea... better to waste $10 on a roll than to spend $200 and not like it!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you guys think it would look better with 50 all around, or havne the backs really dark and the fronts 50

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I honestly think that looks stupid.... it needs to be uniform....

·
Registered
89 Posts
$10 roll sticky on looks like $10 spent

Cheap tinting fades to purple over a bit of time.

Another way to test the look - scan a photo of your car - use one of the photo effects softwares - Corel, etc., and virtually tint the windows .

·
Registered
89 Posts
50% allround vs. partial

Where do you live - extreme heat inthe summer???

Another option, tint the rear window 90% (dark), and then the 4 side windows can be 50%

does the 92 have the small rear 1/4 windows??

Having the rear 1/4 windows and rear window dark, and the four side windows 50% would be another option.

That would give some feeling of "limo" without the chop-chop look of the rear doors dark, front doors 50% look........

Sounds like either way - you are enjoying your caddy

Merry Christmas to all

·
Registered
201 Posts
We have the factory tint job on our '95 Sedan DeVille and I love it. The tinting is hardly noticable but it cuts down on glare and direct sun immensly. Having blue eyes I always need sunglasses on sunny days driving but with the Caddy tinting I never use the glasses; that's how comfortable the tinting makes sunny day driving for me.Plus I think it protects the leather interior somewhat by keeping the rays from drying out the leather when parked in the sun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
do you guys think it would look better with 50 all around, or havne the backs really dark and the fronts 50
I have a 90 Deville, white with grey rocker panels. I had the windows tinted 4 years ago, the back window and 2 rear doors with limo tint (90%? The darkest legally allowed in AZ), the front doors must be 50%, again, the darkest allowed. I love it, it's a lot cooler looking than without the tint. And, just to glance at it, you can't really tell the difference in darkness from the outside, it's hardly noticeable. It was $170 at Pacific Window Tinting here in Phoenix. I've had 3 cars done there, they do a GREAT job, it doesn't fade or bubble. And it makes a HUGE difference in the hot Arizona summer 115+ temps! I'd say go for the darkest you can get all around.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thats always best. Ive heard so many people complain that they didnt get it dark enough the first time. Go darkest the first time!!!

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Just a clarification, Tints are sold by light transmission. %50 allows half of the outside light in. The lower the number the darker it is. A friend of mine put %2.5 on his S-10, he could have saved money just spray painting the windows black, but it looks sweet.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
50% is abosultly nothing...it would be a waste of money in my opinion if u wanted it that light. The price of tint does not depend on the shade but on the size of the car and the windows. Ive seen 50% and its almost just like havign stock windows.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Caddy Man said:
50% is abosultly nothing...it would be a waste of money in my opinion if u wanted it that light. The price of tint does not depend on the shade but on the size of the car and the windows. Ive seen 50% and its almost just like havign stock windows.
I totally disagree. I have pictures of my car before the tinting and the tint makes a VERY visible difference. I honestly don't remember what percent the front windows are, it's just whatever the legal max is in Arizona. Another nice thing about having the windows tinted is that it makes it very difficult to see inside the car at night - as in, people looking inside for stuff to steal (or passing out in your car in the bar parking lot - blush). And whatever the legal max is in AZ, the tint makes a huge difference in the summer heat (AZ summer = April to October).

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I also think 50% is a waste of money, you might as well not wash your windows for a week....i have 35% all around (the legal limit) and even that is a little too lite for me, but i think 20% is too dark....so id go withb 35%

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone have pics of their sedan devilles with tint that I can see; thatll prolly be the easiest way for me to decide

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
I agree that 50% is too light. I think it'll be barely noticible. I had 35% on my ETC and that was nice - but still very light. Go 35% at least.. I have 20% on my car now - and it's dark - but you can still see through during the day...

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of a DeVille with tint off-hand. Tint definitely makes the car look nicer though. I really think it would be worth your money to go 35% - but not 50%... But that's just me...

·
Registered
30 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
anyone have pics of their sedan devilles with tint that I can see; thatll prolly be the easiest way for me to decide
Sorry, I don't have any pics of my car since it was tinted. But all this talk about percentages made me wonder what I DID have on my car so I found my receipt. The back window and back door windows are 5%, the front door windows are Arizona max, 35%. And now, knowing that, I would have to agree with everyone else that 50% would really be nothing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, in NY state, you can barely have anything over factory tint on the front windows. I've learnd this the hard way by getting pulled over more times than you can count with my last car. 50 percent is even illegal here, but its close enough where they wont mess with you. I had my ws6 t/a tinted with 50 percent, and it looks great. My only question is wether it would look better with 50 all around, or have the back windown pitch black and the fronts 50. I really wish someone had pics (Im especially wondering what it looks like with my color) of their devilles with tint.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I kinda think it looks stupid when the front is darker... It all depends on what the difference is gonna be.... 50 in the front and 35 in the back might be a bit much, but 35 in the front and 20 in the back is good..... If its gonna be a big difference, then i would consider making it uniform....

·
Registered
206 Posts
like this...........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts