Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to wild and ridiculous stories on the Internet, the GT-R is the gift that keeps on giving. I already posted a thread about the $2,000 transmission fluid service (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/165665-routine-gt-r-service-thatll-about.html), but this latest development is even better.

Everyone has heard the stories of Nissan denying warranty claims on transmissions for turning off the VDC system, but now they've updated their "blacklist" of activities that void your ENTIRE warranty (not just the drivetrain) for things such as driving in any competitive event, track or airstrip, unplugging any electronics, having the car serviced anywhere except a GT-R certified Dealer, and even dynoing the car.

Here's just a snippet from the completely fun-destroying, "Don't you dare drive this car in an entertaining manner" memo from Nissan:

Nissan said:
Exclusions and Limitations to Manufacturers Warranty

Please read your GT-R Warranty Information Booklet carefully. The Nissan GT-R warranty provides you with extensive coverage when the vehicle is operated in accordance with the Owner's Manual. The warranty includes a number of other specific conditions, exclusions and limitations, which include (but are not limited to) exclusions due to failures resulting from:

Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner's Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow;

Not adhering to the service and maintenance requirements set out in the Nissan GT-R Owner's Manual and the Service and Maintenance Guide, including failures resulting from the use of non-Genuine Nissan Parts or required or recommended fluids;

Improper repairs or services rendered at facilities other than Nissan Certified GT-R dealerships;

Failing to have the Performance Optimization Services completed in a timely manner;

Genuine Nissan Parts not intended for use on the GT-R, including NISMO parts not specifically designed and manufactured for application to the GT-R, or any non-Genuine Nissan Parts;

Replacing a GT-R special specification part with a non-GT-R special specification part (see GT-R Owner's Manual for the list of GT-R special specification parts);

Operating the GT-R on a dynamometer, except a dynamometer test performed to comply with applicable local law for emissions testing.

Additionally, some modifications will VOID your GT-R New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage. Read your warranty information booklet carefully for specific details of all terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions.

Important: Additional Exclusion and Warranty Voiding

Damage to the powertrain, or any drivetrain component(s) that occurs when there is a record in the Vehicle System Data Recorder (VSDR) that the vehicle was driven with the VDC off during the period when the damage was incurred is excluded from coverage under this warranty.

Adding, replacing, reprogramming, attempting to reprogram, altering or disconnecting any computer, control unit, or electronic module or deleting any or all stored information in any computer, control unit, or electronic module, or denying access to any data or information stored in any computer, control unit, or electronic module VOIDS ALL COVERAGE under the 2010 Nissan GT-R New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Such actions are also "misuse" and "tampering" as those terms are used under "What Is Not Covered" in the warranty. See your Owners Manual for additional important information and related warnings

Full document available to read HERE

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
The GT-R is officially the worst car to own. Period.

Not saying it wouldn't be fun to drive, due to the ocean of bull that comes with it, I'd never own one.

It's like buying an EA game.

·
Registered
1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours
1,227 Posts
How do these sell?

Transmission failures, expensive upkeep, ugly as sin, and a novel's worth of fine print to sign off on before purchase...

The other day I saw my first GT-R in the flesh; it's just as ugly as in the pictures.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Well now that takes all the fun out of the car. Good news is the resale should go down the crapper so we should be able to pick up a used one for one hell of a price :D

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Just more FAIL.

It's amazing how much I disdain the GT-R but love the new 370Z. Probably because the Z is a pure sports car without all the bull...

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Its for shit like this that I wish you could sign away a warranty for a discount. What is it really worth on a car like this? Seriously -you may as well not bother. Breakdown nowhere near a "Nissan-Certified GT-R Dealership"? There goes your warranty. Have the oil changed at your local mechanic? There goes the warranty. Miss a service 'cause you're on holiday? There goes the warranty.

That said, if they say you dyno'd it, how are they to tell it wasn't done for emissions? They're not too delicate doing those tests, ya know; last time my 'Vette had it something went pear-shaped and smoke started pouring out from under the hood. Mechanic ignored it and carried on with the test. It was just a mild oil leak from an old gasket, but, seriously? At least they changed that law and the 'Vette is now too old for emissions, but a GT-R is not.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
but love the new 370Z. Probably because the Z is a pure sports car without all the bull...
pure sports cars dont have automatic syncro rev matching (or whatever they call it)

oh, and OP; I am pretty every car on sale in the US lists competitive driving to null and void your warranty

·
Registered
09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!
2,460 Posts
How do these sell?
I would say not so good. The dealer directly at the end of my street received two of them. One was sold, but he drove it himself for a month before delivery (basically drove it himself before blackbox activation), and the second has been on and off the lawn for 6 mos on nice days.

Just more FAIL.
It's amazing how much I disdain the GT-R but love the new 370Z. Probably because the Z is a pure sports car without all the bull...
The ONLY thing I like about the GT-R is the killer cockpit style roofline and windows seen from a side angle. I must say that the 370 premium wheels are really growing on me. Hate the catfish face though.

Its for shit like this that I wish you could sign away a warranty for a discount.
Really good point!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,004 Posts
The vision and concept behind the car is quite amazing, IMHO, but when the manufacturer places these kinds of restrictions on its use, it's called a sham ... a joke ... a scam ...

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
When I was watching the Top Gear episode when they went to Japan and testing the GT-R it was able to tell, by GPS, whether it was at a track or not. If it detected you were on regular roads it had a speed limiter activated. When you got to a track the speed limiter was taken off. So basically Nissan encourages you to take it to a safe location to put the car through its paces but if you do that your warranty is void. WTF?

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Read the fine print of any owner's manual, you will find something that states the warranty does not cover competition or commercial use. I don't think Nissan is being unreasonable here. If you want a really fast car to use on the street, you are covered. If you want to race it and something breaks, you are on your own. These high performance vehicles are NOT sold as race cars. That's the way it has always been, that's the way it will always be.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Well this makes my insides tingle

VIDEO: Hennessey GTR700 rips 2.8s 0-60 with launch control off

by Drew Phillips on Apr 8th 2009 at 10:30AM

Click above to watch a video of the Hennessey GTR700 run the 1/4 mile after the jump

You name it and John Hennessey will make it faster. From Vipers to Vettes to Challengers, Hennessey Performance will take competent sports cars and make them into tire-shredding speed demons with more horsepower than any street-going vehicle should ever logically have. The latest creation to come from the Texas tuner is the GTR700 based on the Nissan GT-R. The upgraded Godzilla now sports 715 horsepower and 662 lb-ft torque thanks to numerous modifications including a stainless steel exhaust system, new ECU programming, modified turbos with larger compressor wheels, 100mm cold air intake, high-flow fuel injectors, transmission cooler, clutch pack upgrades, and more. The result is stupefying. Sixty mph comes up in just 2.8 seconds, 100 mph in 6.7 seconds and 150 mph in 14.5 seconds. Compared to a stock GT-R, the GTR700 reaches 186 mph in less than half the time. Someone needs to take this thing to the Nurburgring. Hit the jump to watch the Hennessey GTR700 hit a full 1.0g during acceleration on its way to a 10.87 sec @ 132 mph quarter mile run.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Read the fine print of any owner's manual, you will find something that states the warranty does not cover competition or commercial use. I don't think Nissan is being unreasonable here. If you want a really fast car to use on the street, you are covered. If you want to race it and something breaks, you are on your own. These high performance vehicles are NOT sold as race cars. That's the way it has always been, that's the way it will always be.
Tis true but since it's a GT-R now it's a big deal. I'm sure if you show up to your Chevy dealership with a blown transmission because you went to the track I'm sure Chevy will still honor their warranty.:nono:

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
And that package cost how much?

about $20,000 dollars. nearly $25,000 installed.

And installing it probably voids your warrenty. :histeric:

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
And that package cost how much?

about $20,000 dollars. nearly $25,000 installed.

And installing it probably voids your warrenty. :histeric:
I'm sure it does..............just like every other car under the sun. If you have the money to buy a GT-R you have the money to modify it. I don't think too many people aren't going to buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini because it doesn't get good gas mileage or because it costs $20k+ for maintenance intervals

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tis true but since it's a GT-R now it's a big deal. I'm sure if you show up to your Chevy dealership with a blown transmission because you went to the track I'm sure Chevy will still honor their warranty.:nono:
The difference is that Chevy doesn't plug in to your PCM and look to see if the Traction Control was turned off, then void your warranty. If given reason to go digging, Dealers are instructed to look for aftermarket PCM calibrations, many of which are poorly written and are a justifiable reason to void a drivetrain warranty, but they won't blanket dissolve a warranty for something as simple as disabling stabilitrak.

I know plenty of guys who have blown up transmissions, diffs, motor mounts, and many other parts at the track. They clean off the numbers, tow it in to their local Chevy Dealer and have the parts replaced under warranty- all without Chevy digging into their PCM and voiding their warranty because they turned off TC (or dynod it, or changed the oil somewhere else, or put Amsoil in the trans, etc, etc......)

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
pure sports cars dont have automatic syncro rev matching (or whatever they call it)

oh, and OP; I am pretty every car on sale in the US lists competitive driving to null and void your warranty
Since the V's pedals are poorly placed for heel and toe, I'd gladly take the Synchro rev-match transmission anyday...

Go drive a pure MR2 and its 110hp...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts