Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Ok, I always have to pipe in, forget the high pitched Flowmasters, give me the raw brutality of the Ravin mufflers through Midas. I did a pair of mufflers tossed in for $330. Of course I also have true duals from the factory. So far, I havent met anyone who didnt like the sound. The stock LT1 in my car sounds a lot bigger and racy than its 350 cubes, but when just cruising, all if provides is a nice gumble.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dopestar..Dont even worry about the cops. Yeah, they bust down on loud cars...but you drive a Cadillac! if you duck down a little and wear a worlds best dad hat when you drive they will just think your too old to hear you have an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's Just Eric said:
Dopestar..Dont even worry about the cops. Yeah, they bust down on loud cars...but you drive a Cadillac! if you duck down a little and wear a worlds best dad hat when you drive they will just think your too old to hear you have an exhaust leak.
That was a good one. I can't quit laughing. I hope I am not still laughing when I buy a hat on my way to work in the morning.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
If I were you I'd remove the muffler yourself and see how it sounds. Put a glasspack on there if you like the sound of no muffler but want to have a muffler. If it's significantly too loud without a muffler, run a full size muffler like a Flowmaster 40. A Magnaflow would be in between a glasspack and a Flowmaster.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Actually not loud at all. Microphone was at rear bumper between the pipes. My wife said she could hear me a blow away, but it was not loud in the car at all. Very enjoyable exhaust sound.

133 vs 266 pulse/sec, interesting, didn't think of that. What rpm are you using for the calc? (it is late, and I don't feel like thinking that hard...)

the3rdalien said:
Sounded pretty nice, and loud. Nice stereo cop caller you have there. Reminds me of when I was a kid and had a '69 camaro. Was getting pulled over 2-3 times a day sometimes. Kept the headers, but put '62 409 mufflers (2 1/2" in and out) on it with a balance pipe after the header collectors. QUIET !! it was. Cops didn't even look at me and I had a ton more fun with the car. Dual exhaust pulses at 133 pulses / sec. each side, single exhaust pulses at 266 pulses/sec. which sounds smoother to your ears. The balance pipe lets each tailpipe pulse at 266. For some reason, the larger the balance pipe, the quieter the system. Makes you smile when you leave the loud exhaust car in your dust and they can't believe it. Eventually gonna put a similar system on my caddy, after I figure out how to put this corvette rear end in it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
N0DIH said:
Actually not loud at all. Microphone was at rear bumper between the pipes. My wife said she could hear me a blow away, but it was not loud in the car at all. Very enjoyable exhaust sound.

133 vs 266 pulse/sec, interesting, didn't think of that. What rpm are you using for the calc? (it is late, and I don't feel like thinking that hard...)
You get deep into this stuff. I don't know what the rpm calc was and I don't want to think that hard either. I got it out of an HP How to Hot Rod Your Small Block Chevy book, think it was in the Big Block book too. I tried it and it works very well. Very good books, built a couple engines with mostly stock Gm parts and they were deadly fast, and of course scary quiet. But I have found that if you have some serious compression in your engine, you can quiet them a little, but after 3000 rpm, you might as well have glass packs because it sounds like you do even if you don't.(the 3000 rpm thing I guess is dependent on your cam)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Really the key to any engine, doesn't matter what, is airflow. I concentrate on low lift flow. You find large port heads, like rectangular port BBChevy heads suck for low rpm power, but are awesome at high. Ford 351C heads are like that too. They have ports you can stick a D cell flashlight in! But the Pontiacs and Olds have smaller ports, but they are much higher velocity. The stock 6x Pontiac heads are actually some of the best heads out there. Even with small exhaust valves, they out flowed the older "performance" heads on other Pontiacs with larger exhaust valves (1.66 vs 1.77") Consider the 1979 400 made only 220 hp with a .364 lift cam and super small duration. 220 hp sounds like nothing, put in like the LT1 cam in the 92-97 F cars and I would bet you would see more like 330 hp easily.

Even Edelbrock and all thier dyno testing and cam wisdom came up with this revolutionary cam for the Pontiac Performer RPM Power Package that made 422 hp on a 400. Hmm, odd, it was the identical cam specs that Pontiac designed back in 1967 for the 1968 Ram Air II 400. Amazing what Pontiac knew then. This was the first computer cam profile out of GM, if not the world. Even today it is a formidable 'performer' (pun intended...)

So, my point is velocity is most important, but overall flow is also a key factor. A briggs and statton head on a 350 would have awesome velocity, as long as you didn't do more than 500 rpm idle. The LT1 and Vortec heads took a look back at the Pontiac 6X and applied that theory to the modern small block and it started a revolution in power that has swept the world over.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts