Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Escalade, but even besides the wind noise, it is too noisy for me. The engine exhuast noise to make it sound tough is what I am talking about. I drove a Tahoe the other day that was very quite. Is there any way to de-tune the Escalade to quiet the engine and exhaust noise? Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
109 Posts
From what I've been told, Cadillacs come from the factory to be a little more noisy because the owners perfer to hear the engine noise for a more exillerating driving experience.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
From what I've been told, Cadillacs come from the factory to be a little more noisy because the owners perfer to hear the engine noise for a more exillerating driving experience.
No it's because they have a more powerful engine. You can get an exhaust that would be more quite, talk to a few good muffler shops, you will give up performance and fuel mileage. High hp engines are going to make noise, I drive an SL65 Benz and it sounds like a race car.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Yeah, talk to an exhaust shop. Most people like the extra burble common to a larger, higher performance engine, and it's not objectionable to the majority either. But, if it does bother you, there's certainly an exhaust shop (find a higher end one, nothing cheap) where they know what they're talking about and can suggest some "quieting" alternatives.

I've heard them in person in various situations and never once thought it objectionable, just a nice burly note and still very quiet, but I guess some people just prefer more whisper like rides...perhaps being overly used to their silent Lexus robot appliances and such.

Jab aside, there should be a few ways to plug it up, and hopefully not hamper performance too much.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
The more power the more engine noise you will hear, I have exhaust and air intake and still think my Escalade is pretty quite, my Jag has more road noise than my Escalade.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
One car I notice a LOT of road noise in is the Chrysler 300c... At cruising speed, you actually have to raise your voice to talk and be heard...

I completely agree. I don't think they bump up the insulation whether you buy the base rental 300 or the top 300C or the SRT8.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
540 Posts
maybe there are some sound dampening sprays that you could use on your under carriage. I don't know that corsa touring is louder or quiter than the stock exhaust but it might give more of the sound you are looking for. Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
2011 CTS-V Coupe White, 2014 XTSV-Sport Black
187 Posts
To each their own. I totally enjoy how the exhaust is tuned. The sounds in the cabin are what i purchased and expected to hear from my 403 horsepower 6.2 litre V8. Now what is quite noisey is my 06 Mustang GT Convertible. Shake, rattle and roll.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Might check that any exhaust modifications do not void your warranty. The exhaust pipe, muffler, etc. are usually designed as a balanced unit to give calculated performance. Have to admit I enjoy the growl of the 403 horses.

Varoom ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pete

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Ha Ha Ha! LOL! Detune the new L92 because it sounds too tough!? That is absolutely the weakest thing I have heard in my whole life! The new 6.2L all-aluminum small block V8 is one of the BADDEST motors ever. My favorite thing about the entire truck is how pissed it sounds. I remote start the truck all the time just to hear the motor fire up. Honestly, I can't even believe you started this thread. It should be removed.

The words "de-tune" and "quiet" should be banned from this forum in the context that you are using them.

·
Registered
NONE
1 Posts
Hey y'all--

My new employer has an 08 ESV with 140K mi that we use for VIP transportation. My boss commented that it sounds like it needs a new muffler. It's definitely loud. Probably not far from the big flowmaster I had on my 93 Chevy Indy Truck. Reading this thread, I see that the stock muffler definitely has a powerful sound, which doesn't please everybody. I'm going to stop by the dealer and listen to a new one. Do they get louder as they get older? I'll check for holes and leaks, but I think it's solid. I'm in Florida, after all... Does a Yukon Denali use the same system? I know of a low-mile one I can listen to as well.

Any helpful thoughts?

Thanks!!
kevin

·
Registered
Cadillac
22 Posts
I had an '07 Denali XL and the sound was almost identical to what my EXT was before I put the Flowmaster 50 on it.

-John
'07 EXT

·
Registered
'11 Escalade, '06 Escalade
221 Posts
I enjoy the engine/exhaust noise on the Escalade, but would be nice if it were quieter inside. I sold my '10 Range Rover Sport Autobiography and that was a nice vehicle for keeping outside noise out. I could sit inside and barely hear other vehicles drive beside me. It was like wearing ear plugs it was so quiet. Double laminated side glass sure helped. But that's why you pay so much more for the RR's. It was just too small for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts