Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DTS / 1973 fleetwood
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its too bad you cant 'tell' the car that you have received a code, have acknowleged the problem, and chose the right to get it fixed or omit to fix it.....so the engine light doesnt re-appear next time you start your car.

for example,

i'm throwing P0410, and know its likely the air pump, as i do not hear the loud 'vacuum' sound from the front anymore on start up - the thing is, that this pump essentially affects nothing, and to me, is a 'nice to have' as opposed to 'need to have'. My car runs fine, although the persistent engine light comes on after i've already acknowleged the problem.

GM has always been the worst for 'oversensitive' engine lights ! :crybaby:

boss says 'dont come to me with a problem, without a solution' so here's the solution:

have your tech, with an OBD II tool, to hit a certain code, telling the car to bypass throwing this code. there's gotta be a way.

that is all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the thing that bothers me is the fact that GM has essentially decided you SHALL get this fixed or i will keep illuminating this little yellow engine on the dash on you.

do i really have to get a little piece of black electrical tape to hide the engine light...:mad:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Wrong. It is an emission control and the government decided you SHALL have this fixed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worng. It is an emission control and the government decided you SHALL have this fixed.
yeah, lower emissions on start up. soon to be an 'expensive' start up.

right about the gov't, however GM likely jumped on board real quick. which i have no problems with when it comes to the enviro BTW.

its nice that my caddy has this air pump to help out the enviro, but am i far off to guess that 9 out of 10 cars on the road today, dont have this feature...so, "why should I" comes to mind...

C'mon Ranger, wouldnt you like to tell your onboard diagnostics that you "have realized your gas cap is seating incorrectly, and thanks for the info, and i will get it checked out at my earliest convenience, thanks again, but you can now turn off the engine light for me please".....:)

that would be a great tool.

the flipside, is that Regular Joe, has no idea about pullin his own codes, and has to take it to the dealership for guy in grey shirt, black pants to tell him his gas cap is loose....

i dunno, just a rant...forum seems slow anyway:yawn:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
C'mon Ranger, wouldnt you like to tell your onboard diagnostics that you "have realized your gas cap is seating incorrectly, and thanks for the info, and i will get it checked out at my earliest convenience, thanks again, but you can now turn off the engine light for me please".
Oh sure, but I suspect that the goverment tells them how and when the light turns off. I am sure you are correct in that it is designed for the lowest common denominator, the person who knows nothing more than where to fill the tank and how to start the car.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Turn off the check engine light from coming on for problems..... then you get someone selling a used car with a bunch of codes because things are messed up... but look, no check engine light, she runs great!

1985 is OBDI anyway.

·
Registered
96 Concours, 2002 DHS, 2004 SRX
172 Posts
:rant2: But , the government decided the light should stay on till the problem is resolved. The "DING DING" should go on till you fasten your seatbelt. They are here to help you. If you leave the gas cap off hundreds of people will get cancer!! You don't believe that? Just ask the greens! All three auto makers resisted the service light staying on but EPA would not yield. (true with all the emission codes) Remember the seatbelt interlock in 1973 where you could not start the car in less you, 1 sat in the seat, 2 fastened the seatbelt, 3 started the car. Shezzzzz! If the seat belt seat pressure switch failed you had to get out of the car, lift the hood, press a red reset button, then you could start the car once. . You had to repeat this till you had the seat switch repaired. :rant2:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess it would be just nice to be able to put these codes into folders...like ''to get fixed'' etc.....then, when the caddy is in for its scheduled repair, or when convenient, you can have the things looked at.

for non-emergent, safe for the enviro, and non-safety issues !!!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Concours, 2002 DHS, 2004 SRX
172 Posts
There you go Steck, using common sense and logic!:tisk:
Your idea makes too much sense...:bigroll:

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Agreed, manufacturers constantly have lobbyists fighting agains all of this stuff in DC. They would like to keep the cars cheaper, the tree-huggers want to keep them greener, and the trial attorneys force them to be safer. We all pay much higher prices for cars than we should have to. But, we all feel much better about ourselves so smile and shut the hell up. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts