Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a rack like this on their roof rails? Is it practical and feasible?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The picture I used was from Harbor Freight for about $75. I'm sure it's steel and will rust, so off and on it would go, but I can buy 4 of them for the price of the Thule one.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,376 Posts
OK, who the hell are you and what have you done with the original tinman???

·
Registered
15,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to know 'cause that's where I'm making my old lady ride.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,941 Posts
LOL.. I installed Thule Aero Bars on my wagon since the OEM bars are no longer available. I can install any basket that is compatible with the bars.

The ONLY issue you may have with it is that the rear of the wagon is lower than the front. The OEM bars have the rear bar longer than the front. If you install this basket using a Thule or other aftermarket rack it will look weird unless you can raise the rear bar. I raised the rear bar on mine by about an inch and it appears to be pretty balanced. But because of how the feet were on my towers I ended up making new pieces to mount the towers to. Mounting the towers in the front I was having issues getting the Thule stuff to fit because there are notches in the rail to allow the bars to be installed and the towers I am using wouldn't hold all the way forward because of those notches.. Now with a different base it holds fine and actually is stronger than the Thule mount. Did similar with the rear with a spacer that I had to modify to get to work. (The tower kit I got was for a specific SUV and came with spacers to mount to that SUV's root. The CTS rail slots are narrower so I trimmed off the rail guides that it had and it works great.)

If you don't mind the basket higher in the front then the back then you should be able to use Thule or Yakima bars and go with the basket of your choice.

Rodney

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,376 Posts
Just tell your wife to sit towards the rear of the rack. When somebody points out that the front is higher than the back, just say "look at what I'm carrying!!" and they'll understand.

Good luck ever sleeping in the bedroom ever again. :duck:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts