Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had an enthusiast try this tire and he proclaimed its grip better than that of the F1. Wet weather handling should be close to the GSD3's. European car magazines rated this tire over UHP tires from Michelin, Goodyear and Pirelli - pretty compelling.

Here's the website:

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?BandgroepID=1&BandtoepassingID=0&BandtypeID=3&PageID=2&Rimsize=18&UserSessionID=47263300

Here's an ebay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/275-40-315-35-20-BMW-X5-Tires-Vredestein-PORSCHE-TYRES_W0QQitemZ130141268071QQihZ003QQcategoryZ66478QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He quoted me $745 shipped for 275/40/20's so you guys with 18's should be much less. Also posted a picture. Crazy tread pattern, but once you read the logic behind it, it makes sense.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
743 Posts
We had an enthusiast try this tire and he proclaimed its grip better than that of the F1. Wet weather handling should be close to the GSD3's. European car magazines rated this tire over UHP tires from Michelin, Goodyear and Pirelli - pretty compelling.

Here's the website:

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?BandgroepID=1&BandtoepassingID=0&BandtypeID=3&PageID=2&Rimsize=18&UserSessionID=47263300

Here's an ebay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/275-40-315-35-20-BMW-X5-Tires-Vredestein-PORSCHE-TYRES_W0QQitemZ130141268071QQihZ003QQcategoryZ66478QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He quoted me $745 shipped for 275/40/20's so you guys with 18's should be much less. Also posted a picture. Crazy tread pattern, but once you read the logic behind it, it makes sense.
Not in the tire market right now, but is that $745 each?

If it is, why are you driving a Chrysler?

:histeric::histeric:

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$745 for a set of tires. I just got the Falken 452's for $600 a set. Great tire and very hard to kill. I'm looking at getting these in about 4 months/14,000 miles.

edit - I just looked up the 18" Falkens. You guys are $784 a set vs. $600 for my 20's. Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Cost effective because they don't have molds for right and left tires?

Not being directional, they look dumb.
Unless Vredestein is making tires for circle track cars, that is a major faux-pas. They have made good snow tires for a long time, but I don't know about using these yet.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
I wonder what the effect of the grooves would be - almost like continuous toe-in (or toe-out if you mounted the other way).

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Ooooohhh, they were designed by Giugiaro based on mathematical equations.

So what are all the other tiremakers doing? To make a truly great tire, you need Italian designers and supernerds...

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
I've heard about those, but couldn't find anyone who carried them at the time. They're supposed to be amazing.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that the roadkill view is a little funky due to the non-directional nature of the tread pattern. I was only looking at performance and the fact that is won all the wet and dry test vs. all challengers. They must be on to something.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
And a K&N intake adds 19 hp to a V...

Did the test course only have right turns?

They're on to something alright - European metrosexual rubber bands for ricers or SRT8s. Whichever; doesn't matter. Surprised there isn't a red stripe Hot Wheels version.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,137 Posts
I'm inclined to think someone in advertising/web design boo-boo'd. I can't see how any engineers would create such a clearly directional tread and then not make L and R versions of the tire. Something don't make sense!!

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm inclined to think someone in advertising/web design boo-boo'd. I can't see how any engineers would create such a clearly directional tread and then not make L and R versions of the tire. Something don't make sense!!
No they even say right on their website that the tread pattern is non-directional.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
First off, tire tests don't tell you how they wear, how noisy they become or overall comfort.

The GS-D3 can make people all warm and happy because they run funkin' wide treadblocks with a tread for water evacuation. But they wear unevenly, they have limits that are on/off and do they have silica compounds that improve traction in the wet and the dry as the tire wears down?

The PS2 has a more sophisticated sidewall for better turn-in and modulation, effective siping for water evacuation, and changing compounds as the tire wears to remain consistent. Well worth the $$$.

So maybe Vredestein won all the new tests. I'm still searching for these tests. But how will the tire wear? Will they stay consistent when they get hot? The Falken RT615 was great, but got greasy quickly. $$$ gets you more expensive compounds too.

Also, I'd rather not look retarded to 95% of the enthusiasts who'll think you are for having your tires on incorrectly...

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
They're asymmetrical but non-directional. Make sure they're on straight for noise reduction. That's why they're funked up. Let's make them wacked in the rain for the sake of dB...

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
If they're non-directional, couldn't you just mount them up so they look like they are pointed in the right direction? I can't imagine why one side has to be backwards if the other side is running the correct way with no problems...

They may be non-directional but serve different purposes when mounted different ways (no idea what backwards would give you).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts