Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please be honest, don't favor the Cadillac Stock NAV just because its Cadillac. I have a Garmin 360, and my sister has the 560 or something. And I will admit garmin is insane! Amazing. My very last truck (06 Acura MDX) had the stock NAV/Voice all that mumbo jumbo. But Garmin destroys the performance. Since I never played with a Cadillac Navigation id like to hear some input.

I just loveee Garmin because you can hit where to, and just go anywhere you like with the click of a button and its not touch sensitive. Id love to get the stock Cadillac NAV but to upgrade/install it doesnt seem all that difficult but the voice command mod seems like a nightmare. Anyways common guys what do you like Garmin or the Stock CTS NAV.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Please be honest, don't favor the Cadillac Stock NAV just because its Cadillac. I have a Garmin 360, and my sister has the 560 or something. And I will admit garmin is insane! Amazing. My very last truck (06 Acura MDX) had the stock NAV/Voice all that mumbo jumbo. But Garmin destroys the performance. Since I never played with a Cadillac Navigation id like to hear some input.

I just loveee Garmin because you can hit where to, and just go anywhere you like with the click of a button and its not touch sensitive. Id love to get the stock Cadillac NAV but to upgrade/install it doesnt seem all that difficult but the voice command mod seems like a nightmare. Anyways common guys what do you like Garmin or the Stock CTS NAV.
The non-nav dash looks cheap in my opinion. The oem-nav make the dash look complete and makes it look like a luxury car. So in my opinion oem-nav is the only way to go. I could not wait to get rid of that ugly amber dash.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
228 Posts
I agree too, I will not add anything to my dash that looks like it doesn't belong there if there is an alternative. I love the oem one, it has all the features I could ever use and I didn't install the voice commands and could care less about them.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS - 2005
93 Posts
I had the Garmin StreetPilot 340 for my last car (up to May of this year). It's programming, accuracy and ease-of-use make the GM system look like something from the dark ages. After using the Garmin, I find using the GM nav painful. Nothing on the GM nav is intuitive (as the Garmin is), and, while the GM printed manual is essential for operation (at least in the beginning), it's a poor operations manual - it leaves out lots of important info. The Garmin can be used by anyone "straight-out-of-the-box". And accuracy-the Garmin was always right on, and the GM won't give directions on roads in my area that are not on a major highway. Updates to the Garmin maps come about every two years, are very complete, and cost $75. The GM updates come about once a year, are poor and incomplete, and cost $199. This last point is unusual, since both use the NAVTEQ map information service. Sure, the little screen propped up on the dash looks cheaper, but it is so much more functional. I had hoped that Cadillac was at least as good as a small company called Garmin. It isn't.

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
For appearance - definitely the in-dash OEM NAV. For functionality, the Garmin. I don't have the NAV because I didn't think I'd use it enough to justify the $$, plus the car I wanted has TPMs and I was told that I couldn't have a NAV with that particular package. Anyhow, on the rare occasions that I need a GPS, I whip the Garmin out of the closet and toss it on the dash; it never lets me down. (I bought a "starfish" type holder for it from Amazon that makes it fully portable; nothing stuck to the dashboard or windshield.) One other point for the Garmin is that it can be used in any of our vehicles.

But the OEM NAV certainly adds a lot to the looks of the dash. Sigh.

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Paper maps don't tell you when the next McDonalds is coming up. :coffee:

:lol:

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the Garmin StreetPilot 340 for my last car (up to May of this year). It's programming, accuracy and ease-of-use make the GM system look like something from the dark ages. After using the Garmin, I find using the GM nav painful. Nothing on the GM nav is intuitive (as the Garmin is), and, while the GM printed manual is essential for operation (at least in the beginning), it's a poor operations manual - it leaves out lots of important info. The Garmin can be used by anyone "straight-out-of-the-box". And accuracy-the Garmin was always right on, and the GM won't give directions on roads in my area that are not on a major highway. Updates to the Garmin maps come about every two years, are very complete, and cost $75. The GM updates come about once a year, are poor and incomplete, and cost $199. This last point is unusual, since both use the NAVTEQ map information service. Sure, the little screen propped up on the dash looks cheaper, but it is so much more functional. I had hoped that Cadillac was at least as good as a small company called Garmin. It isn't.
I figured it was exactly like this thank you very much for that. I appreciate everything guys. I am gonna keep my Garmin 360. And yes I think it looks stupid also sticking out of the dash thats why I usually just sit it down in the coin tray its loud enough to hear voice commands :) i could mount it somewhere maybe near the AC or have a little seat/floor mount so it flairs around my leg so nobody can see it. The garmin I have is the size of a small mens wallet and its really thin. Really cool unit, also its not sensitive, and easy to read/hear/use. I would do the OEM Cadillac GPS but my car is a lease guys for now. I only took this over hoping that the V was coming out in 08. But looks like since I got such a great deal on the lease ill probably buy it out right to sell it to make a few bucks. I could always find another car to lease for 6 months ;). Im hoping the V comes out around October 08

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
I figured it was exactly like this thank you very much for that. I appreciate everything guys. I am gonna keep my Garmin 360. And yes I think it looks stupid also sticking out of the dash thats why I usually just sit it down in the coin tray its loud enough to hear voice commands :) i could mount it somewhere maybe near the AC or have a little seat/floor mount so it flairs around my leg so nobody can see it. The garmin I have is the size of a small mens wallet and its really thin. Really cool unit, also its not sensitive, and easy to read/hear/use. I would do the OEM Cadillac GPS but my car is a lease guys for now. I only took this over hoping that the V was coming out in 08. But looks like since I got such a great deal on the lease ill probably buy it out right to sell it to make a few bucks. I could always find another car to lease for 6 months ;). Im hoping the V comes out around October 08
One good thing about the OEM nav's is that they hold Value. If you bought a used one today and then turned around and sold it later you should get all your money back.
I just hated the way the Amber radio and climate control looked... So I upgraded to the factory Nav within the first month of owning it.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Garmin, Garmin, Garmin!

I've owned several vehicles with factory GPS units, including the one in the Audi we currently own. The factory jobs are nice to look at, but none can touch the little Garmin for ease of use, accuracy, and convenience. I currently have the Nuvi 660 which is a wide-screen version of the 360. Plenty screen to see where you're going, the voice command is superb &, as someone mentioned, you can put it most anywhere - I sometimes leave it resting in the console. Just can't be beat. Even has Bluetooth.

Used an earlier Nuvi 350 when walking through parts of San Francisco & Chicago. Wonderful way to find things, avoid getting lost, etc. POI database is a tap away (& if you find something you'd like to add to the database, you can enter your own custom POIs) & will take you to most any restaurant, museum, hotel, whatever. The 660 is maybe an inch longer, but still fits in a shirt pocket. Wouldn't be without one.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2003 CTS
74 Posts
I own a TomTom Go 300, and like the guy in the commercial I say "I love you, TomTom!" all the time. Still no response, but it doesn't matter. I like the looks of OEM nav and the ability to play DVDs if great. But for the cost of retrofitting a factory unit in my 03 I could outfit a small fleet with TomToms.

Still I really like the look of the OEM and if I found at a great price, I would prob. look at getting it and installing it. But my vote would be Portable (not just Garmin) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One good thing about the OEM nav's is that they hold Value. If you bought a used one today and then turned around and sold it later you should get all your money back.
I just hated the way the Amber radio and climate control looked... So I upgraded to the factory Nav within the first month of owning it.

of course it looks good, its a factory unit. And an expensive upgrade when your buying a CTS new. I understand what you mean totally but I use navigation a lot, and I personally don't wanna deal with a factory navigation that of course looks good but is gonna get me lost in the middle of nowhere. I would go with the OEM nav but I seen a tutorial for the voice command and i think its not worth the hassle. Installing the OEM Nav looks super easy but the voice comman pretty much made me sick. If there is anyone in PA/NJ that knows how to install factory nav/voice command I will consider on getting it and of course pay you to do the job :)

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
I've used a OEM in my friends V and my girl has a Garmin. Besides the intended placement of the Nav the Garmin navigation program is by far better than the OEM. The user interface, features and accuracy on directions. I feel the Garmin is by far a better Navigation. Do you see the price on some of those small Garmin systems?

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well cammie yea probably one of the nicest Garmins to go with is the 350-360 nuvi's. There small/bluetooth/compact. I have the 360. But there are also 500-600 series. I paid about $275 for the 360 from my friend brand new. Which is a steal! They retail over $550 :). I just love the fact it finds anything you look for. I hope you guys know that a rumor has been passed around that Garmin signed contracts for 2009-2010 with several car companies. So expect to see Garmin taking over.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
of course it looks good, its a factory unit. And an expensive upgrade when your buying a CTS new. I understand what you mean totally but I use navigation a lot, and I personally don't wanna deal with a factory navigation that of course looks good but is gonna get me lost in the middle of nowhere. I would go with the OEM nav but I seen a tutorial for the voice command and i think its not worth the hassle. Installing the OEM Nav looks super easy but the voice comman pretty much made me sick. If there is anyone in PA/NJ that knows how to install factory nav/voice command I will consider on getting it and of course pay you to do the job :)
If you want the voice commands easily buy a small amplified speaker for $20 or so and just tap into the line level voice outputs on the back of the nav.

Now if you want the radio to mute and the voice to come through the car speakers yes thats a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
I've used a OEM in my friends V and my girl has a Garmin. Besides the intended placement of the Nav the Garmin navigation program is by far better than the OEM. The user interface, features and accuracy on directions. I feel the Garmin is by far a better Navigation. Do you see the price on some of those small Garmin systems?
I paid about $575 for a new 660 - you can pick up a 360 for about $200 less. Check out the price of a factory unit next time you shop for new wheels. :eek:

I'd not have ordered it with the Audi, but it was part of a never-ending package option.

I'm not sure about TomTom, Magellan & others, but if they are anything like Garmin, they are so far ahead of the factory game that it's hard to consider anything else.

I even use the Garmin in the Audi - it's much easier to use & far more accurate...but the Audi unit looks really cool...:2thumbs:

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
i don't like the stock navigation units, but i DEFINATLY don't like a cheap looking portable navigation unit stuck to my dash.

i've got the KENWOOD DNX7100 TOUCH SCREEN NAVIGATION 7" SCREEN DOUBLE DIN DVD PLAYER, which has garmin navigation. and i love it. REAL EASY TO USE! i'll post pics later to show how it looks...

plus, it matches my 7" kenwood flip down screen (my sons screen)...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts