Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham (Sold)
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to find a 5.7 Vortec very inexpensively and have the L05 die at the same time (nothing like a good excuse for an upgrade).

I have the Vortec in the engine bay mounted in place. I'm hooking it up and getting it ready to roll. I'm installing a new ECM to be more tunable, as I'm going to have to burn a custom chip to handle the new heads and the heavy upgrades I'm performing on the TBI unit.

Should be running in about two weeks. Hopefully I'll get a glimpse of what the TBI system is capable of with better heads and fuel induction upgrades. I'd like to be able to keep up with the LT1 cars, which I'd love because this upgrade will cost well under $1000 and look absolutely stock.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Very interesting--I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

509Rider said:
I have been interested in the same swap, I have also been thinking about the new 5.3.
Same here. Ever since my mom bought her '02 Avalanche 2wd with the 5.3L, I've LOVED that engine--sounds great, runs smooth as silk, is relatively easy on gas, and, most of all, is quite the mover with 295 horses. I'd LOVE to have that engine in a Fleetwood, if it were possible without an insane level of customization.

·
Registered
93 fleet, 95 fleet, 59 impala
728 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Very interesting--I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Same here. Ever since my mom bought her '02 Avalanche 2wd with the 5.3L, I've LOVED that engine--sounds great, runs smooth as silk, is relatively easy on gas, and, most of all, is quite the mover with 295 horses. I'd LOVE to have that engine in a Fleetwood, if it were possible without an insane level of customization.
I have a buddy that works at a local wreaking yard, he said the 5.3 swap is fairly easy, he has done about 5 vortec swaps into older impalas and they worked out awsome.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Hmmm....:yup:

That's good to know, you know, for my future Fleetwood endeavors....I plan on making it a lifetime collection sort of thing:thumbsup:

Come to think of it, even better but of the same design and similar dimensions would be the 6.0L from a Denali or Escalade, even though one of those would be more expensive in the first place.

·
Registered
93 fleet, 95 fleet, 59 impala
728 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Hmmm....:yup:

That's good to know, you know, for my future Fleetwood endeavors....I plan on making it a lifetime collection sort of thing:thumbsup:

Come to think of it, even better but of the same design and similar dimensions would be the 6.0L from a Denali or Escalade, even though one of those would be more expensive in the first place.
That would be a baddass motor, but would be alot more money.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham (Sold)
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I've also done the small block to LS1 swap and that's not that hard either - if you have time and some patience with wiring, exhaust, driveshaft, crossmembers, A/C lines, power steering, air intake; as a metter of fact the 2nd gen F-body is IDENTICAL to the B/D-body frame up front. I can tell you exactly how it all fits, and I can tell you it's somewhat of a pain but is very do-able. The 5.7 Vortec was my choice this time because it's pretty much a true bolt-in with few exceptions.

1.) It's easiest to use the Vortec exhaust manifold on the driver's side to maintain the EGR (which is no longer venting directly from the exhaust ports) however the passenger side will not fit without lots of modifications (I'm reusing both L05 manifolds until I get headers). Actually, until I can modify the Y-pipe to accept the Vortec manifold on the driver's side I'm running both L05 manifolds without EGR - I need to install the EGR for emissions requirements in VA.

2.) The distributor hole on the GMPP Vortec TBI manifold will need to be bored out to allow me to install and remove the distributor with the engine in place under the windshield cowl. No biggie, I have access to milling machines so I'm lucky here.

3.) The ECM won't run the engine well anymore. The cam and the combustion chamber behavior will make it run awfully until a new chip is made. I'm switching to a different ECM, deciding which now, to make tuning easier. I'm not the first to change from one TBI ECM to another, so I know it'll work great :)

That's just about it that I've seen so far. The engine swap was extremely simple and I'm expecting great things once I start to modify the TBI unit itself and tune to suit.

If you want to install a 5.3, I think you should opt for the 6.0. They are both excellent engines but the 6.0 will definitely make you smile with the ease of finding performance parts (it's virtually identical to the LS1 with far less expense involed). Then again, I can tell you from experience that the LS1 will make any car feel AMAZING after you've been used to a Gen I small block for so long.

If you want to swap in one of the newer more advance engines; I'd say absolutely go for it. They're very much worth the trouble. Though not all that hard, there are a lot of things you might not think of. I'm just glad my Fleetwood is only going to be down for about two weeks and that's only limited by the rest of the parts being in the mail. This5.7 L31 Vortec is a nicely built Gen I engine!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
I have a 220K mile Vortec in my Suburban and it runs decent. Good engine, and a great swap for the $. LS1's are too $$$ for swapping in my book unless you can get a good deal on one.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
N0DIH said:
I have a 220K mile Vortec in my Suburban and it runs decent. Good engine, and a great swap for the $. LS1's are too $$$ for swapping in my book unless you can get a good deal on one.
Exactly my thoughts, which is why I always thought something like the 5.3L truck/SUV engine would be a PERFECT choice for one of these cars. More mass market, so cheaper and easier to find, but still a strong performer with a TON of aftermarket parts available.

Then again, the 12 year old L05 in our '93 still purrs like a kitten at 102k and is one of the smoothest sounding and running powertrains we've ever had in a car. On the other hand, the L05 in my dad's Roadmaster has 192k on it and, while still a decent performer and reliable as can be, is starting to seem a bit weathered and not nearly as powerful as the Caddy. It'll still last for quite some time, but may need a few updates soon.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
That is a lot of $ on a L05. I would look at finding a LT1, I have seen them for $700 complete with engine controller/wiring harness.

Or the low buck method, Vortec heads are only $450-$500 NEW ready to drop on from GM. Get a Edelbrock intake for under $200 that bolts on. And that is an instant 40 or so HP upgrade.

Team it up with a HT383 cam from GM: (https://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22922)
"This hydraulic roller design is used on the 383 truck. The duration at lash point in degrees (intake/exhaust) is 288/308; duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 196/206; and maximum lift with 1.5:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 431/451. Valve lash is zero/zero and lobe centerline is 109 degrees. "

This cam is just a little better than a RWD LT1 Cam (260hp) and even more than a Vortec 350 cam (255hp). Avoid the LT1 Z28/Vette cams and the LT4 cams. They are too wide LC, which hurts low end torque production. If I designed my own cam, I would go for a .470/.470 lift, with a LC of 107, duration of 201 intake, 206 exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts