Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was my moms.:(

here are digital pictures that I took of the wreckage. It happened 2 weeks ago, friday night in Vermont. She was the only one in the car and she broke her leg pretty bad and all her ribs on her right side but luckily she received excellent medical care and is on the road to recovery.:) Just wanted to share the pictures with you. The whole hood is totally mashed from the tree but the drivers cockpit is surprisingl intact. The car collided with the tree right in front of the driver and luckily, the motor was pushed diagonally towards the passengers side. Please if you're tired...pull over and rest...don't keep driving because this might happenb!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288271323

·
Registered
ATS AWD Luxury Turbo
150 Posts
AirJigga25 said:
it was my moms.:(

here are digital pictures that I took of the wreckage. It happened 2 weeks ago, friday night in Vermont. She was the only one in the car and she broke her leg pretty bad and all her ribs on her right side but luckily she received excellent medical care and is on the road to recovery.:) Just wanted to share the pictures with you. The whole hood is totally mashed from the tree but the drivers cockpit is surprisingl intact. The car collided with the tree right in front of the driver and luckily, the motor was pushed diagonally towards the passengers side. Please if you're tired...pull over and rest...don't keep driving because this might happenb!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288271323
I hate to admit it, but this accident is why the Insurance Institute started the offset head-on test. The Volvo reacted to the impact just the way it was designed. The motor is supposed to move diagonally to the front bumper impact. Yeah, it worked. Glad your mom will be OK! :worship:

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I'm glad (your Mom?) is ok! Which model? S40, S60? I like the new Mazda 3, it is interesting because Volvo did the safety on it, Ford the suspension, and a Mazda body of course. It is basically a Volvo S40 for 10 grand less. Also, my cousin swears by Volvo because she was pulled over on the highway and rear-ended by a semi at full speed! She got thrown pretty good, but the car remained intact and saved her life!

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ralph - 2002 s60

catbert - yeah without that, the motor would've gone straight back towards the driver. Instead it went diagonally towards the passengers seat. What's that technology again that made it do that? details?

things like this make you think twice about buying a safe car. Now I know why a lot of guys buy volvo's for their wives or daughters. My mom said she doesn't want to drive for a while but when she gets back, she'll be driving a new volvo.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Regarding the engines "rotating downward" that technology goes back a bit. My 1991 brochure describes that safety implement. I think for myself, I am fearful of the side-impact. All there is, is a door protecting you from the front bumper of that 6 foot Dodge Ram!! I was driving My 1970 Plymouth Fury in HS and in 1984 some lady in a Toyota wagon ran a red and broadsided me on the driver's side back door. My head went through the drivers side window, and spun my car 360 three times! I was ok, but I cannot say the same for her 1972 Toyota front-end. It was smashed half-way to the dash! Just goes to show you that weight can be a safety factor as well. The S80, now there is a safe car. From visiting the NHTSA site, I like looking for "double 5 star" rated cars. (fromt and side impact) Other than Volvo, there are a few worth mentioning that achieve this rating. They are Impala, Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix, Jeep Liberty, and of course YOUR Accord Coupe! I bet you did not know your coupe achieved the best rating? The Accord Sedan gets 4 stars for side impact.

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ralph said:
. From visiting the NHTSA site, I like looking for "double 5 star" rated cars. (fromt and side impact) Other than Volvo, there are a few worth mentioning that achieve this rating. They are Impala, Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix, Jeep Liberty, and of course YOUR Accord Coupe! I bet you did not know your coupe achieved the best rating? The Accord Sedan gets 4 stars for side impact.
sweet.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Wow. Definitely lucky to be alive, and definitely a total loss. That's amazing.

Glad my wife is usually behind the wheel of a '98 S70. I'm putting new tires on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Ralph said:
Regarding the engines "rotating downward" that technology goes back a bit. My 1991 brochure describes that safety implement. I think for myself, I am fearful of the side-impact. All there is, is a door protecting you from the front bumper of that 6 foot Dodge Ram!! I was driving My 1970 Plymouth Fury in HS and in 1984 some lady in a Toyota wagon ran a red and broadsided me on the driver's side back door. My head went through the drivers side window, and spun my car 360 three times! I was ok, but I cannot say the same for her 1972 Toyota front-end. It was smashed half-way to the dash! Just goes to show you that weight can be a safety factor as well. The S80, now there is a safe car. From visiting the NHTSA site, I like looking for "double 5 star" rated cars. (fromt and side impact) Other than Volvo, there are a few worth mentioning that achieve this rating. They are Impala, Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix, Jeep Liberty, and of course YOUR Accord Coupe! I bet you did not know your coupe achieved the best rating? The Accord Sedan gets 4 stars for side impact.
I always wondered what would happen if a ~'54 DeVille, with the 2 huge bullets in the bumper, was to T-bone a Civic or something that size..... I mean, the DeVille's bumper may get scratched up, but the bullets would probally go right thorugh the door....

Glad your mom is safe, I heard Volvo's are safe cars, they have a space-frame design...

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Night Wolf said:
I always wondered what would happen if a ~'54 DeVille, with the 2 huge bullets in the bumper, was to T-bone a Civic or something that size..... I mean, the DeVille's bumper may get scratched up, but the bullets would probally go right thorugh the door....

Glad your mom is safe, I heard Volvo's are safe cars, they have a space-frame design...
LOL. I don't think the Civic would stand a chance eventhough it is a 4 star side-impact sedan. The problem is the guard beams are in the door panal. So when one of these big trucks (I like Rams) broadsides you, the safety features in the doors are useless, because the roof to window area (A pillar) just caves in. Many manufacturers have a new process now to make the A,B, and C pillars, and roof stronger now and I think it's called "hydraforming"? Something like that. I think in the moment of truth during an accident, I would like to be as high up as I can, like in a Ram 4 by 4 or an Escalade. Volvo makes a nice SUV now, but they are expensive.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Glad your mom is safe!
Volvo has a new concept technology that tracks the drivers eyes to see if they are blinking excessively as a sign of being tired, it will then tell them to pull over and rest.....Could of been helpful here! Technology will take a year or 2 to develop fully.

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wait, she had a 2002 s70 not an s60...wups.

I was surprised how "undamaged" the cabin was in the car, considering how damaged the hood of the car was. The only thing wrong with the cabin was the airbags had all been deployed, the windshield was cracked, and I think the break pedal was sticking too far out and thats what broke her leg. here's to safe cars. *raises glass*

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
yet another reason im trying to talk mom into selling the 02 tracker and getting a volvo , after seeing one hit a moose when i was in alaska i was sold , theyve always been wicked safe , but when you see what a moose can do to a subaru , suburban and a miata looking at the volvo afterwards is a diffrent ball game

as for the engine laying over i belive the mounts are mounted on tracks , they break loose and follow the tracks to the desired location , im not sure if they are indeed useing hydroformed steel , i bet they do on the new ones but the old ones were done with a odd form of steel in layers if i remeber right

im probably one of the few people out there that always liked the way a volvo looked

glad your mom is ok , looks like its time for you to write to volvo , thank them , i think they get tons of thank-you notes a year , but im sure the engineers always like to see them come in

1 - 17 of 17 Posts