Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
09 CTS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM screws up another money maker just like they did back in 2002 when they destroyed the EV-1. I am sooo disappointed in GM I think I will sell my 2009 CTS. GM continues to F**& up and to think I gave GM a chance by purchasing the CTS and going American. GM sold out to the oil companies in 2002 when they destroyed the EV-1 which could have saved GM. This country is in bad shape and this administration is not helping. America is screwing Americans. :mad:

http://priuschat.com/news/toyota-co-produce-volt-with-gm-renamed-jolt

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
So what does this have to do with the CTS gen II? This is the CTS 2008 and beyond forum. Take your off topic rant elsewhere.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
More stupid crap like $40,000 electric cars will have to be jettisoned in order for GM to focus on cars like the CTS, SRX, Malibu and Cruze.
GM of course appreciates you giving them a chance.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
GM CEO Fritz Henderson, Press Conference, June 1, 2009...

"Today marks the beginning of what will be a new company, a New GM, dedicated to building the very best cars and trucks, highly fuel efficient, world class quality, green technology development, and with truly outstanding design. And above all, the New GM will be rededicated in our entirety as a leadership team to our customers. A number of our cars and trucks from the Chevy Volt, the Buick LaCrosse, the Chevrolet Camaro and Equinox, the GMC Terrain and the Cadillac SRX, amongst others, are already world-class or in the case of advanced technology, are breaking new ground. We need to make sure that all of our products are world-class and that will be our focus going forward. The days when General Motors would have 15 launches of which we would count on five or six of them being hits and the rest of them being okay are history. We need to make sure every single one of our vehicle launches is an outstanding car or truck."

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
GM sold out to the oil companies in 2002 when they destroyed the EV-1 which could have saved GM.
:rofl:

First off, that's an April Fool's joke from a Prius web site. So if you want to go sell your Cadillac because some clever jokester on a forum fooled you with a made up story that can be debunked by a simple Google search, go right ahead.

Second, GM leased the EV1s to people at a catastrophic financial loss. The batteries alone cost over $30,000 to make, and the only reason the car existed in the first place were dumb federal regulations of the time that required all manufacturers to build a certain number of Zero Emissions cars. GM lost hundreds of millions on the EV1 program.

You need to read a book or two and stop learning your history from phony documentaries. Oh, and since this has nothing to do with CTS, moved to the lounge.

·
Registered
09 CTS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:rofl:

First off, that's an April Fool's joke from a Prius web site. So if you want to go sell your Cadillac because some clever jokester on a forum fooled you with a made up story that can be debunked by a simple Google search, go right ahead.

Second, GM leased the EV1s to people at a catastrophic financial loss. The batteries alone cost over $30,000 to make, and the only reason the car existed in the first place were dumb federal regulations of the time that required all manufacturers to build a certain number of Zero Emissions cars. GM lost hundreds of millions on the EV1 program.

You need to read a book or two and stop learning your history from phony documentaries. Oh, and since this has nothing to do with CTS, moved to the lounge.
1st of all I am not selling my CTS - just wanted to make a point.
2nd I read many books and if you can THINK out of the box maybe you can state something with some facts. I have more degrees that you have hair on your head.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
If you can't recognize such a bad photoshop and obvious April fool's joke, you need to turn off your computer and never go on the internet again.

I'll gladly buy your CTS though. Is it DI?

·
26,239 Posts
1st of all I am not selling my CTS - just wanted to make a point.
2nd I read many books and if you can THINK out of the box maybe you can state something with some facts. I have more degrees that you have hair on your head.
Really? I'm not the one who fell for a stupid April fool's joke and bad Photoshop, then posted a rant saying I was going to sell my car without even bothering to Google the story to find out it's bogus. If you'd like some facts, here's 5 for you:

1- Fake story
2- Fake picture
3- EV1 never would have been profitable for GM
4- I'm bald, so comparing your degrees to my hair is a bad idea
5- They don't teach common sense in College

·
Registered
09 CTS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really? I'm not the one who fell for a stupid April fool's joke and bad Photoshop, then posted a rant saying I was going to sell my car without even bothering to Google the story to find out it's bogus. If you'd like some facts, here's 5 for you:

1- Fake story
2- Fake picture
3- EV1 never would have been profitable for GM
4- I'm bald, so comparing your degrees to my hair is a bad idea
5- They don't teach common sense in College
All BS aside:

GM was on the right track in 1997 when they introduced the EV-1. If they continued on that track GM would of been way ahead in electric car technology but because of their greed they are way behind Toyota. I have a problem with the US falling behind to the Asian auto industry when we had a running start. GM decided to make big SUV's instead. :eek:

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
All BS aside:

GM was on the right track in 1997 when they introduced the EV-1. If they continued on that track GM would of been way ahead in electric car technology but because of their greed they are way behind Toyota. I have a problem with the US falling behind to the Asian auto industry when we had a running start. GM decided to make big SUV's instead. :eek:
The EV program was not financially feasible for GM, they'd be in worse shape now if they had continued down that path at such an early stage. Keep in mind Toyota is ***NOT*** a leader in electric vehicle technology, they WERE at the forefront in HYBRID vehicle technology and guess what? They killed off their EV lease programs too. FACT: GM currently has more Hybrid vehicles and more vehicles that get over 30MPG than anyone else, so who's really winning there? The Hybrid versions of the Tahoe and Yukon have not proven to be good sellers.

GM has admitted its focus on SUVs was a serious mis-step.

·
26,239 Posts
Consumer demand and profit were both in the corner of big SUVs. Toyota introduced the Prius to America at the same time they came out with the Tundra to offset the hit to their Corporate Average Fuel Economy, not a prophetic vision of the future of high gas prices. GM decided to put their research money into Plug-in hybrid and Hydrogen fuel cell technology instead, since two mode Hybrids are a band-aid for the problem. Those technologies have taken longer to pan out, at the expense of public perception.

It's also interesting to note that the production of a battery pack for a Prius does more damage to the environment and uses more fuel oil than the average Hummer will do in its lifetime. How is that?

The Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.
And exactly how much pollution do those ships that carry the batteries all over the world do? According to a new study, 15 of them do more harm to the environment than all of the cars in the world combined.

AutoBlog said:
Says James Corbett, professor of marine policy at the University of Delaware: "Ship pollution affects the health of communities in coastal and inland regions around the world, yet pollution from ships remains one of the least regulated parts of our global transportation system." It sounds serious, but how bad could it be? Staggeringly, if a report by the UK's Guardian newspaper is to be believed. According to their story, just one of the world's largest container ships can emit about as much pollution as 50 million cars. Further, the 15 largest ships in the world emit as much nitrogen oxide and sulphur oxide as the world's 760 million cars.
And then there's the fact that simple changes in driving can produce a nearly 40% improvement in fuel economy. In the completely unscientific test done by Top Gear, they found that a Prius Hybrid driven aggressively around their track averaged lower fuel economy than the 8 cylinder, 420hp BMW M3 that was following it. Thanks to the more powerful engine, the M3 didn't need to work nearly as hard to maintain the aggressive pace, which resulted in lower fuel consumption. There's also more scientific studies, like THIS ONE.

Bottom line? Hybrids are dumb, and the only real way to eliminate our reliance on oil is to build clean nuclear power plants to charge a nation of plug-in cars, or build a Hydrogen fueling infrastructure for fuel cell cars. The part no one wants to talk about is the revenue the Federal Government makes on gasoline- if people stop buying gas, the Government goes broke (well......more broke than it already is). So then what? Naturally, the Government will have to start taxing the hell out of hydrogen or electricity to replace the lost revenue from gasoline, rendering the switch to less expensive forms of fuel meaningless to you, the end user. At that point, the only benefit to driving a hydrogen or electric car is being more environmentally conscious, which as I show above, is NOT a benefit of driving a Hybrid.

The problem isn't the carmakers- it's that no solid infrastructure exists to support alternative fuels, and when (if) it finally does, we the consumers will not be paying any less to fuel our vehicles.

·
26,239 Posts
As a post script to my essay, let me add that I support the idea of building more nuclear power plants and having a nation of plug in cars. I know they'll jack my electric bill through the roof, but at least (in theory), the cost would be stable. The single biggest problem with oil is that it's all in the hands of lunatic thugs in countries ravaged by wars, which makes the prices subject to outlandish swings.

With a good nuclear infrastructure and plug in cars like the Volt, the cost of fueling a car would be more predictable, we'd do less harm to the environment and, most importantly, stop financing gold plated mansions for brutal dictators with our money. Win/win/win.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,314 Posts
I'm with Tony on this one 'all the way'. Detroit built what the public wanted.

"If they built it, they will come" doesn't work (except for baseball in the movies).

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts

:histeric:

I almost spit Monster on the keyboard when I read this.
(knows Tony is Follicle impeded)

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Wow! That's a lot... Seeing as how the average human has about 100,000 hairs on their head - you must be like, umm... wicked smart!

As such, I refuse to believe that this post was meant to be anything other than a really big joke, because it is highly unlikely, dare I say... even impossible for one with such a massive intellect to be as foolish and foolhardy as this.

I mean... The date of the "article" clearly stated April 1st and such a literate person would catch that.... As would they also take the requisite 60 seconds to verify such unbelievable information before logging on to a public forum to post a seemingly real rant - as if they were obviously, truly upset.

So Kudos to you sir for the well-staged farce... :thumbsup: Two of your degrees must have been in theater and creative writing - You really had us thinking you were a complete and utter dimwit! Bravo!

:hopeless: ...err... I mean... :helpless:

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,923 Posts
My only comment (courtesy of the great Gary Larson):

1 - 20 of 33 Posts