Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Volant Intake and when I drive in the streets it fine. But when I hit the highway my check engine light turns on. Any other upgrades I need to do for it to go away? Need help

image-852662317.jpg

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
I installed a Volant Intake and when I drive in the streets it fine. But when I hit the highway my check engine light turns on. Any other upgrades I need to do for it to go away? Need help

View attachment 292769
Check for air leaks. Make sure everything is tight. The system is too lean because you have un-metered air getting in your system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DopeEffect said:
Check for air leaks. Make sure everything is tight. The system is too lean because you have un-metered air getting in your system.
Would I be able to feel the air leaks just revving the engine? Or should I just uninstall and install again?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Would I be able to feel the air leaks just revving the engine? Or should I just uninstall and install again?
Depends on the air leak. If it's minor, you might be better off spraying some water from a spray bottle on the intake hose and see where it's leaking due to the air disturbing the water and creating tiny bubbles. However it might be large enough to hear it. I would have someone in the car holding it at 1200 - 2000 RPM and listen for an air leak. I had a few air leaks when I first installed my volant. One was where the MAF sensor mates with the air box because the gasket they provide is a joke. The other air leaks I had was where it mounts to the throttle body and the rubber sleeve that connects the hard plastic tube to the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DopeEffect said:
Depends on the air leak. If it's minor, you might be better off spraying some water from a spray bottle on the intake hose and see where it's leaking due to the air disturbing the water and creating tiny bubbles. However it might be large enough to hear it. I would have someone in the car holding it at 1200 - 2000 RPM and listen for an air leak. I had a few air leaks when I first installed my volant. One was where the MAF sensor mates with the air box because the gasket they provide is a joke. The other air leaks I had was where it mounts to the throttle body and the rubber sleeve that connects the hard plastic tube to the MAF sensor.
Thanks a lot for the advice. Really really helpful. I will check it out this weekend. Hope it's just a leak and nothing else.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks a lot for the advice. Really really helpful. I will check it out this weekend. Hope it's just a leak and nothing else.
I forgot to ask but did you disconnect the battery when you swapped out the intake? Because you have to disconnect the MAF sensor, its recommended to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. If not, you might want to disconnect it for a couple hours to reset the ECU. Then do a throttle relearn even though that's honestly the hardest thing to do with this car because I can never tell if its worked or not. I still feel the engine light is from an air leak but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DopeEffect said:
I forgot to ask but did you disconnect the battery when you swapped out the intake? Because you have to disconnect the MAF sensor, its recommended to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. If not, you might want to disconnect it for a couple hours to reset the ECU. Then do a throttle relearn even though that's honestly the hardest thing to do with this car because I can never tell if its worked or not. I still feel the engine light is from an air leak but it's something to consider.
I didn't actually. Forgot all about removing the battery. And I had no idea how to take out the MAF sensor?. I didn't know how to unplug it and it felt like I was going to break the plastic piece. Should I disconnect the battery now and see if that'll work?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I didn't actually. Forgot all about removing the battery. And I had no idea how to take out the MAF sensor��. I didn't know how to unplug it and it felt like I was going to break the plastic piece. Should I disconnect the battery now and see if that'll work?
Wont hurt. Just leave it unplugged for a couple hours, then turn it on and take it for a spin. See if that fixes it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DopeEffect said:
Wont hurt. Just leave it unplugged for a couple hours, then turn it on and take it for a spin. See if that fixes it.
When resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery. Will it reset any other stuff like the radio or the information on the dash?

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's not that it's no good but it's so flimsy you technically should replace it anytime you disconnect the MAF sensor from the air box. Not only that but if you have a mesh grille, the sand and dirt on the road slowly eats away at it. I ended up replacing mine with a rubber one that I made myself. I simply traced the shape of the gasket onto some cardboard and then used some of this rubber http://www.rubbercal.com/sheet-rubber/recycled-rubber/ to create a new gasket. However I went back to stock because I was disappointed with the volant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts