1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!
My first post here!
I have a 2005 XLR in Crimson Red. I was wondering whether any of you installed this system? How you felt about it, performance wise etc. There aren't many intake options for the XLR.

Thanks.

Ladi

·
Registered
10 EXT, 76 Coupe DeVille, 73 Coupe DeVille
86 Posts
I got tired of waiting on the Volant and went with the one from Lund Cadillac in Phoenix. They had been doing theirs for a couple of years and it does have larger K&N filters. I know one Volant owner who had a problem with his coming loose since the smaller filters doen't give it much support. If Volant had gone with a true cool air box design then that would have been the way to go. I already had an aftermarket exhaust installed, the the intake did make a difference both in hp and intake sound.

·
Registered
XLR
3 Posts
Hi JetBoy ... glad you posted your system... Ray wanted me to PM you and ask what it was you had. Also loved hearing the difference btw your exhaust system and the Corsa / be flattered yours is awesome ........ I see a lot of familiar names on this forum....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Ruth, you and Ray will need to come over and visit so he can get the intake and exhaust installed. Thanks on the sound. I was lucky, I live by Lund and they sell a lot of XR's. The day I went to check on the exhaust they had one in the service bay they had just taken in trade with their exhuast, one with a custom Borla and one the lot in front a couple of Corsa's so I got to hear them all and drive a couple of different examples.

Vinh downloaded the pictures form Bowling Green today. I will send you some photos soon.

·
Registered
XLR
3 Posts
We will take you up on your offer. Any excuse to drive the car! I cannot get the "sound" of your car off of my mind! Shhhh, don't tell Ray .... I ordered the chrome grill ... I ordered it for HIS birthday ..... for MY car .... what a gal, huh? Next are the tires ..... your's are so impressive .... you should post a picture on this site ... if you don't have one, I do! I took it at the BG meet. I am really liking those rims that Cadillac displayed at the Park & Shine, the one's with the wreath and crest ........ first I have to get Ray to WORK a few more days per month while I research what we need! Looking forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the intake and the tip portion of the exhaust.

Wow that exhaust tip is sweet lookin!!! I dont even have a clue as too what it sounds like but I want one! Reminds me of what Chip Foose did to one of these for SEMA awhile back. Big rims, two tone paint, stainless roof, body kit etc etc. Especially that one piece exhaust!!!

Just from these pics on this forum your filters look way bigger then the Volant ones. Interesting. How much did the intake setup cost you Jetboy? Any noticeable difference in fuel consumption during daily driving with just the intake and stock exhaust?

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chip Foose did that XLR for Lund in Phoenix. http://www.lundcadillac.com/Accessories33_13.cfm that is what they based this production tip on but the production one is a bit less edgy. You can buy just the tip or full cat back. I got the full system. The sound is deeper than a Corsa and less cabin drone. The only time I get drone in the cabin is at 1,500 rpm and it is not much. The intake was $450 installed I believe. They negotiate on accessory prices so be prepared. Exhaust was jsut a bit over the price of a Corsa system installed. I had the exhaust installed right after I bought it but since adding the intake a year later I'm not seeing any difference in mpg that I can attribute directly to the intake. I got 25.5 on the roundtrip to Bowling Green and back which was mostly highway driving at 10-30 miles over the limit.

This is the intake that just went on the Vette today, I would prefer this set up on the XLR http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-384-c6-hurricane-air-intake-system.aspx

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chip Foose did that XLR for Lund in Phoenix. http://www.lundcadillac.com/Accessories33_13.cfm that is what they based this production tip on but the production one is a bit less edgy. You can buy just the tip or full cat back. I got the full system. The sound is deeper than a Corsa and less cabin drone. The only time I get drone in the cabin is at 1,500 rpm and it is not much. The intake was $450 installed I believe. They negotiate on accessory prices so be prepared. Exhaust was jsut a bit over the price of a Corsa system installed. I had the exhaust installed right after I bought it but since adding the intake a year later I'm not seeing any difference in mpg that I can attribute directly to the intake. I got 25.5 on the roundtrip to Bowling Green and back which was mostly highway driving at 10-30 miles over the limit.

This is the intake that just went on the Vette today, I would prefer this set up on the XLR http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-384-c6-hurricane-air-intake-system.aspx
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Although I promised myself that i wouldn't modify this car. I don't think I can stop. I have the bug. So I'm probably going to settle for the Volant kit. I live in Jersey so im not exactly sure how I would go about ordering the Lund kit. And the volant kit seems to be a bargain at around 300.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
This Kit was built on the Dyno, No Home Depot sh*t , not that's a bad thing. But check out the angles on the duct and each filter flows 500 CFM's. The car might need from 6 to 8 best case. But more goodies might demand more! Anyone can weld 3"or 4" pipe at an angle? Then send to a chromer! If you want bigger filters, no prob! If you want louder exhaust, I always use a screw driver punched into the stock muffler!

We are here to help!

·
Registered
86 Posts
This Kit was built on the Dyno, No Home Depot sh*t , not that's a bad thing. But check out the angles on the duct and each filter flows 500 CFM's. The car might need from 6 to 8 best case. But more goodies might demand more! Anyone can weld 3"or 4" pipe at an angle? Then send to a chromer! If you want bigger filters, no prob! If you want louder exhaust, I always use a screw driver punched into the stock muffler!

We are here to help!
Bad day at the office? :thepan:

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered it today from FL. Will see how long it takes to get here. I am debating whether or not I should do a comparison track test.

·
Registered
All Sold now driving 2018 CTS Cadillac 09 CTS and 97 Seveille STS recently sold a XLR
53 Posts
Are you using this on a stock XLR or the "V" jim

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you using this on a stock XLR or the "V" jim

Stock XLR.

They shipped me one for an STS. Now, I have to go through the motions with them in getting the right one here. Its like pulling teeth! DO NOT do business with 4 Wheel Online!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts