Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who is selling his deville DTS getting a RWD STS anyway he has a volant in there hes parting out the good extra parts before he sells since no matter what as u all know most cars are only worth there worth no matter what u put in it anyway also i could care less about all the claims better MPG more HP its all nonsence making the purchase not worth it at retail price and so on but it does have a nice sound and he will give me the volant for $50 bucks good deal huh :bouncy: soooo my main concern
is can it damage anything and open another headache regarding the engine like the PCM being the factory CAI cools it or any other part? dont go for these sort of add ons but hey for $50 from $250 aint bad please no replies on price versus performence gain i know that already what u guys think take it or leave it $50 for a sound box lol?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
It's your money to throw away for bling. Have at it.

There's always the chance an aftermarket (air intake) part will cause mixture codes or some other interaction with engine controls. You won't know until you play with it. Considering the price of a PCM (and they already run hot) I would be antsy about simply wire-tieing it somewhere in the engine compartment, bling be damned.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
You already know you won't gain anything so the only concern is as Sub said, cooling the PCM with the intake air flow. How much cooling does that provide? :noidea: Is bypassing it enough to cause the PCM to overheat? :noidea: But you have to wonder why the engineers put it where they did in the first place. Personally, I'd pass, but like Sub said, your car, your money.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess so just was curious yeh the codes i know about his car threw em to has it on there about 2 years i think just figured hey $50 bucks aint bad guess i will have to see what i want to do thanks guys

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,215 Posts
I wouldn't pay a dime for the part -
in fact - if you gave me the CAI - and PAID ME $100 - I still wouldn't do it -

why take the chance of shortening the life of the PCM
for a little bling under the hood - THAT NO ONE ELSE WILL EVER SEE -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
If you think there is some performance gain to be had from increased intake airflow capability, there are several threads in CF from past and present members about how to modify the existing CAI for more capability - but understand that the work comes with more intake noise at all speeds and it really does nothing for performance - and it looks very stock.

Consider where your airbox is, the openings in the fender body metal, and the possibility of opening the side of the airbox (before the air filter, not after) to access more cool air from the fenderwell. You'll need to make a foam gasket to seal the airbox/fender cutout. I've not done this to a Deville (four 2000 and later Sevilles) but the chances are there, and the increase in intake air noise is, ummmmm - significant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts