Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a voice command to switch the radio to the auxiliary input on a 2005 sts? I'm trying to listen to music from my phone.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
The NAV Manual has the voice commands. Should be a link in the sticky thread to download them.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
The only command I ever have problems with is 'Windows Down', seldom does any other not work for me. Maybe it's just that funny American accent :p

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
They can be made to work, but... NOT ready for prime time.

I use Phone Dial Name and the Nametags that I've recorded. They actually work very well. I also use Radio XM, Radio FM, etc. They work OK. I don't find one for Auxiliary or Aux In. Maybe Radio Help, DVD Help, etc. would display something useful.

My Pointers:

1. For pre-2007, the Nav firmware upgrade helps the VR.
2. IMHO, the main design flaw is locating the microphone in the mirror; close any open windows/sunroof & turn down the HVAC fan.
3. Speak softer, not louder & don't run words together.
4. Some members claim male drivers (or contralto women) should choose Nigel rather than Hermine & vice-versa.
5. Practice won't make perfect, but helps.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
2. IMHO, the main design flaw is locating the microphone in the mirror; close any open windows/sunroof & turn down the HVAC fan.
Personally, I don't believe the problem is with the microphone being located in the mirror. I also subscribe to OnStar and purchase minutes for OnStar calling. OnStar voice recognition is virtually dead-on accurate every time. I have learned to adapt a little with the STS VR using volume, direction and clarity but all seems pretty good now. I've never had problems with OnStar.

The microphone is shared between OnStar and the Infotainment system. Consider that you're dealing with a very low voltage audio signal traveling from the mirror, to the OnStar module in the rear of the vehicle and then relayed back to the navigation radio in the front of the car. My guess is that the problem is distortion and signal loss by the time the signal actually gets to the VR processor in the radio. Even though there is some level of shielding in the audio wiring, it passes through unshielded connectors along side many other wiring harness signals opening it up to at least some degree of electrical noise.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
It's a persuasive argument and is consistent with elevated sensitivity to noise. Members that ran microphones to different locations would have unbroken shielded cable. Those are some old threads.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I found my problem was interior noise. Up to about 45PH it works fine unless a window or the sunroof is open. Above 45MPH, the faster you go the worse it gets. Stopped it's almost flawless.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
In the Google custom search, on this page, on the top,right hand side,
type in. "STS voice commands", and when it changes page,
look for voice commands list, 2nd paragraph down.
it WILL get you going.
Happy Motoring :thumbsup::alchi::stirpot:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Maybe over the summer I'll try an experiment by connecting a microphone directly to the input on the navigation radio. There are a few possible outcomes:

1. It will work better.
2. It will work the same.
3. It won't work at all.
4. The OnStar module will sense it is no longer connected to the navigation radio and set a DTC. It does sense when the usual microphone is not connected so may monitor this also.

There is a microphone in the roof console connected to the amplifier to monitor ambient noise but the slotted cutout on the other side is empty making for a possible mounting location.

I also agree that it is less reliable with higher speed travel but I've never found that turning down my fan speed makes a huge difference. One would think it should though.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I may have some bias in that I do make a lot of short trips, driving home for lunch, etc. Here in WI, HVAC on 'Auto' means the fan is often 3/5 or 4/5. I get much better recognition rates if I bump it down a couple & close any open glass. The speed of the car doesn't really seem to matter, so far as I can tell.

I hadn't considered that the offending fan noise might be electrical. That might add one data point differentiating this topic from OnStar VR.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
It doesn't make any difference what you say, it still doesn't work.
EXACTLY!!!

you hit the nail on the head there bud

completely worthless system

Warren

----------

They can be made to work, but... NOT ready for prime time.

I use Phone Dial Name and the Nametags that I've recorded. They actually work very well. I also use Radio XM, Radio FM, etc. They work OK. I don't find one for Auxiliary or Aux In. Maybe Radio Help, DVD Help, etc. would display something useful.

My Pointers:

1. For pre-2007, the Nav firmware upgrade helps the VR.
3. Speak softer, not louder & don't run words together.
4. Some members claim male drivers (or contralto women) should choose Nigel rather than Hermine & vice-versa.
5. Practice won't make perfect, but helps.
all in $68K car.....
I use that since you typically do
As I said before...that amount wasnt worth the paper it was written on

A few other cars with far lower "paper" actually had a system that worked

though they were more expensive cars 3-4 years later( market wise)

Warren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts