Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume everyone has these. They appear as seams on both sides of the car, near the front side of the rear tires and down on the 'rocker panels'. I noticed them when I bought the car and the dealer said something like ' they are protective strips'. I guess to reduce dings on the bottom sides of the car.
When waxing and when the car is dirty, they now are quite visible. I dont have any pics. But they seem to be something that at some point are intended to be 'peeled' off.
Anyone notice this? Anyone have any thoughts or info on what they are all about?

·
Registered
Cadillac 08CTS Hot Lava 3.6DI RWD special edition
74 Posts
I just went outside and looked at mine, I have the "shields" also, they look like they are there to protect the rocker flare in front of the rear wheel from rocks being slung towards the rear by the front wheels.

I never noticed them until your post. I think they would really show up on a darker car color.

Not sure if they can be removed without damaging the paint.

Nick

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
That is a protective film that is applied to keep stones from chipping the paint in front of the rear wheels- it is most definitely NOT supposed to be removed. Many other cars with wide flared fenders (such as Porsches) have the same film applied in that area.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Use a plastic polish/cleaner and the discoloration will come off. Keep the waxed like the rest of the car and they should remain clean. My car is Black Raven and you can feel them but not see them.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I only notice the protective shield when I wax as a little builds up around the edges. That being said, I am sure glad Caddy decided to install it for free. Nice touch!

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Got to work on them this weekend to try and get rid of white around seems. I assume its wax. Wont come off with regular washing. I have RED TINTCOAT.

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Hi guys,

I just bought an 08 Black Raven, and this is one of the first things that caught my eye.

The whole car was black, and these 'films' were practically white with stone chips. They looked absolutely horrible.

I planned to bring the car to my body shop to repaint this area (I already have an appt booked on Monday for my Trans Am, and was going to bring the CTS instead.)

In any case, you'll be pleased to know that after some dawn, claying, plastic cleaner, and two coats of waxing, they look great. I can feel them but barely see them.

They came out great. It wasn't that hard and it was a great feeling of accomplishment. I called my girlfriend to the garage to check them out. She was extremely impressed, because she really hated how they looked when we first saw the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts