Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
ESV
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting a Viper Alarm System in my 2008 ESV.

Best Buy told me with evrything installed it would be around $1,000.00.

Has anyone purchased one of these unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
Escalade
50 Posts
Dang thats pricey.

Im a dealer for both Compustar and DEI products.

For a Compustar RF-P2W9000-SS or Viper 5902 installed I do for $600-800

Some options included that BestBuy probably wont do:
Power liftgate
Tailgate window release
Heated seat control
Defrost control
Trunk and hood status
windows up/down

These options are controlled and show status from the 2 way remote.

Oh and one thing too check when you have it done. A lot of shops will only put a door trigger on the drivers door and not the others.

·
Registered
NONE
1,042 Posts
I paid $600 for the smartstart, then I added the glass sensor and tilt sensor. But I am looking to see what other add ons I still don't have... But satisfied!

·
Registered
ESV
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The $1,000.00 was for the viper 5902 with the glass protection and back up battery, and Smartstart.

JG where are you located?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
44 Posts
Thats my next add on. 9502 with smart start. Saw the color remote control and was hooked. Anything you can think of for your ride, the remote can do as JG! mentioned above.

bstiffmanofsteel, how do you like the glass sensor? The dealer told me it can be too sensitive. That shaking of keys can set it off.

Anyways, krieghoff, i'd definately not go to best buy. I'm sure you can find a reputable installer. Google your area. Good luck.

c12ack

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
44 Posts
Because you can get the same parts and probably better labor for a few hundreds less. I have no problem with Best Buy. Just was tryin to save you money.

c12ack

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
4 Posts
I had the 5901 installed in my 2009 and I'm alittle disappointed. For some reason when I disarm it sometimes it sets off the stock alarm and the horn will start honking. I was told the module just had to be reflashed or something but now it is doing it again. And 2nd on my escalade before the alarm install when I used the stock remote start it would turn on my climate control even if it was turned off after I was driving it prior. Now with the viper remote start I have to set my climate control to auto and leave it on before I turn the car off and arm it. In TX it can be in the 80s during the day and in the 40s in the morning. If I'm running the ac at the end of the day I don't want to have to set my climate control to heat when I get home so it will get warm in the morning. IMO that defeats the whole purpose of having remote start. Why can't the viper module work with the stock Cadillac remote start features? I had my install done at Earmark and these guys are supposed to be th authority on this stuff

·
Registered
2015 Escalade and 2018 CTS-V
320 Posts
Jgos929, Sorry you're having issues with the install. You can install an alarm only on your system and retain the factory remote start system. There are even modules that allow you to keep your factory key fob. I would call and speak to them, let them know that it's not working to your liking, and see if they're willing to work with you on installing an alarm only and retaining your factory key fob and auto-start.

The salesman you spoke with probably wasn't aware that this is a possibility. But that's not your fault, they should have educated you properly.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
4 Posts
Jgos929, Sorry you're having issues with the install. You can install an alarm only on your system and retain the factory remote start system. There are even modules that allow you to keep your factory key fob. I would call and speak to them, let them know that it's not working to your liking, and see if they're willing to work with you on installing an alarm only and retaining your factory key fob and auto-start.

The salesman you spoke with probably wasn't aware that this is a possibility. But that's not your fault, they should have educated you properly.
I was told you couldn't retain the factory remote start because the viper sytem cant talk to it and bypass the factory immobilizer. I would love to keep the factory fob but that defeats the purpose of the alarm I got with the lcd remote that can let me know if my alarm goes off from like a mile away.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,810 Posts
I have a Clifford with smart start. Works great! Had my alarm guy connect the mirrors to close when the alarm sets and open when it is disarmed...

·
Registered
2013 Tahoe
245 Posts
Find a speaker and audio shop, I had the baddest vioper system in my Dodge ram and it was $500 installed, retail on it was like 799. Best buy is a rip off and there installers usually dont know shit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts