Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good products out there that keep the vinyl top looking kind of shiny and don't dry it out?
 

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
Armor all? Is Armor all any good for vinyl tops? Cause I just bought a bottle of it and I havent put it on yat.
 

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I used Armor All for the top before and when it rained, all of it kind of ran down on the paint. I probably used too much of it though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
It's for vinyl floors right? Vinyl tops, vinyl floors......what the hell. It even has a UV protectant. I've used it for a while and I like it. I put it on with a sponge on a clean dry top. I've done it in the sun and in the shade, it doesn't seem to matter how you apply it.
 

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
Joined
·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yay, I can't wait to try that. I didn't know that Mop n' Glow was for vinyl since I rarely mop anything.
 

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
Joined
·
433 Posts
Do you guys ever get stains on the back window???

Every freakin' morning I gets stains from the dew running off the roof and down the back window on the highway.

EVERY MORNING!!!! :mad: :mad: :devil:

I have NEVER treated the roof with anything either. I have washed it with different cleaners, but never treated it. Now I just wash it with the car, and I never go through an auto wash...

How in the hell can I stop that staining??? It's just a greasy mess... Every day I have to wash that damn rear window...

Can you see it bugs me??? ;)

/rant off
 

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
Hmm, well I just put some armor all on the top like 15 minutes before reading through this.. It doesn't really matter if it makes the paint look bad, it already looks bad..
 

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
709 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
Do you guys ever get stains on the back window???

Every freakin' morning I gets stains from the dew running off the roof and down the back window on the highway.

EVERY MORNING!!!! :mad: :mad: :devil:

I have NEVER treated the roof with anything either. I have washed it with different cleaners, but never treated it. Now I just wash it with the car, and I never go through an auto wash...

How in the hell can I stop that staining??? It's just a greasy mess... Every day I have to wash that damn rear window...

Can you see it bugs me??? ;)

/rant off
For some reason you just reminded me of a movie Coming To America with Eddie murphy, when the parents of the guy with the geri curl activator company, got off the couch ans all you see is drip marks running down the back of the couch... :histeric:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
Clean and SEAL the vinyl and the staining should stop. There's obviously something leaching out of the vinyl or maybe out from under the moldings.
 

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
Joined
·
433 Posts
Katshot said:
Clean and SEAL the vinyl and the staining should stop. There's obviously something leaching out of the vinyl or maybe out from under the moldings.
How? That's what I've been trying to find out since I bought this car!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
Clean with an over-the-counter vinyl top cleaner or anything that is recommended for cleaning vinyl. Then follow with a poly sealer like the Mop 'n Glo I mentioned. The best thing is a vinyl top dressing but there's not many on the market anymore. Professional detailing suppliers will have it though. After the dressing dries, you should have no more streaks.
 

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
Joined
·
433 Posts
Katshot said:
Clean with an over-the-counter vinyl top cleaner or anything that is recommended for cleaning vinyl. Then follow with a poly sealer like the Mop 'n Glo I mentioned. The best thing is a vinyl top dressing but there's not many on the market anymore. Professional detailing suppliers will have it though. After the dressing dries, you should have no more streaks.
Do you have brand name recommendations? It would really help. I've been chasing this problem for almost 2 years now!

Thanks, Kat... I appreciate it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
I use Zep Formula 50 degreaser which is an industrial-strength butyl general-purpose degreaser, and a scrub brush, to clean the top. Similar retail items would probably be the "Industrial-strength" Fantastic that is available at several stores.
Then I use Mop 'n Glo to seal it. I used to use a GM product called "Preservatone" but am not even sure if it's still available. This product was also marketed as a final step for engine compartment detailing years ago, so I would suggest that Mop 'n Glo would also be useful for this application. You want something that is non-conductive (high dielectric strength), non-corrosive, water-repellant, and dries completely so it does not attract dirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
i use 303

check their website 303products.com, i have been using their products for a while, and all work super. I use them on my cars, boat, and watercraft.
 

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
Joined
·
433 Posts
So I went to Walmart last night on your recommendation Kevin, looking for some mop n' glo (visions of me with a mop bucket and mop out in the driveway in my head ;) ) to clean and seal the roof with... and much to my delight I found Mop N' Glo WIPES!!! Woo Hooo!!! :D Talk about making it easier for me! I just used it on the car. Looks great. Has a nice sheen when dry, but not wicked shiny or greasy looking. Feels nice and clean too! And it has a nice lemony clean scent! ;) It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so we'll see how it holds up! Hopefully no residue on the window like you said! Thanks!

:D
 

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
Has anyone here gotten a new vinyl top? Or if not, anyone have a clue how much it would cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
There are many different types and styles available on the market. I used to pay $700 for a limo top which is way bigger than a sedan but that is also way cheaper than you'll probably pay. I'm gonna guess approx. $700 is probably an average but I'd just call around and get prices, sorry.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top