Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 DeVille
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 DeVille that we just inherited has sat out in the sun for a few years.

Question is, what would it run to replace it? Just curious for now as it isn't torn or ripped. Just needs a good cleaning.

Can it be removed and the roof painted? Debating on new paint as there is some clearcoat peel.

Any suggestions on cleaning it?

It's Black whatever the roof is covered with.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
:welcome:

A full vinyl roof replacement will run ~$800-$1,000 at a good shop ( and a not so good shop will make it look, well, not so good).

Besides paint, removing a roof involves removing adhesive, filling holes, possible crease repair, and possible rust repair.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I'm betting it's a cloth top (since I've never seen a 90s deville with a vinyl top) over a fiberglass shell. I have never seen a 90s deville with the material put directly onto the metal.

·
Registered
2001 DeVille
411 Posts
I recently found out that some will remove the old decaying roof and coat the metal with a bed liner product that has been tinted to the desired color. You end up with a almost indestructible simulated soft top that looks indistinguishable from the original from a few feet away for a lot less money. Though those kinds of roofs are not my thing I thought the idea was cool and started thinking of other ways to use the coating.

Vernon

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
IMHO, that would look really, REALLY tacky. There's still all the holes to deal with. But I guess if you're going that route, Bondo or duct tape would fit right in.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
The bedliner idea has been used by off roaders for a while. It would have to be the correct texture and excellent install or it will look bad iMO. I would consider using it to repair a roof then cover it. I avoid cars with vinyl/cloth tops like the plague, too much $$ and work to repair.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
rodnok01 said:
The bedliner idea has been used by off roaders for a while. It would have to be the correct texture and excellent install or it will look bad iMO.
Yeah, and a professionally sprayed on liner is expensive. Not much more money gets you a new top.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm betting it's a cloth top (since I've never seen a 90s deville with a vinyl top) over a fiberglass shell. I have never seen a 90s deville with the material put directly onto the metal.
I think you are right. Does have a more cloth texture than plastic vinyl feel

Thanks All for the info.

·
Registered
2001 DeVille
411 Posts
IMHO, that would look really, REALLY tacky. There's still all the holes to deal with. But I guess if you're going that route, Bondo or duct tape would fit right in.
You guys are probably right. While it could be done in most cases this would be a repair option best suited for maintaining America's aging sqaudrons of Ghetto Bombers. The pics I saw were of a 30-something RWD DeVille Coupe. It probably adds some armour plating to the car also, good for shoot-outs and firey roll-overs at the end of a pursuit. But I do think the idea is cool.

Hey Larry I just noticed you asked if anyone knew of a good cleaning product. I was thinking your top was peeling but you said paint. There's a local to me company called Blue Magic. The O'Reillys around here carry their stuff but if you can't find it go to www.bluemagicusa.com or have O'Reilly order you some. They make a "Covertable Top Cleaner" that I've used to clean the Viynl roof of a concourse '68 Mustang GT/CS after we parked it under a leaky Jeep overnight. What a nightmare. But the product did remove a lot of grime without damaging the top. In my case the stains were so bad I resorted to blotting with brake cleaner. Then after using Blue Magic's top dressing on it the top looked great. Thank God it was black. Anyways try that stuff, works good.

Vernon

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I agree. If you are going to goto the bother of taking the roof off get a body shop to finish the job properly. If you really want the fake vinyl look save some money and put the bedliner on yourself. Either way you'd still have holes to fill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts