Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Calais Sedan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao,

I was wondering if it is possible to renew the vinyl roof by painting it. Silly question?:bigroll:

Regards,
Luca

·
Registered
94 Concours
63 Posts
Not a silly question. I saw a '94 or '95 Concours cherry red with a brownish red vinyl top that was very shiney, not the typical vinyl dull. It was very attractive.

The owner was no where in sight to ask.

Anyone have an answer?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
:bouncy: Luke, if you cannot obtain a replacement vinyl roof in your province, you might consider removing the existing vinyl covering and arrange for your local body shop to paint the top area the same as the body. Buona fortuna......(Napoli/Pozzuoli 1968-1971----Firenze is beautiful !!)

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
I wouldn't recommend painting the vinyl top. It is done, but it usually ends up cracking and flaking.

Although, if you could talk to a body shop in your area, they might be able to use the additive that's used in the painting process for cars with plastic bumpers. It's something that they mix into the paint to make it more flexible. That might work. Although having that done would approach the cost of just having new vinyl put on.

·
Registered
1976 Calais Sedan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks to all of you.

Submariner:

glad you were in Naple so long and you were able to survive to all that confusion! :)
The problem here, about classic cars, is that to be listed as "classic cars" they have to be original. Almost everything has to be like when the car came out of the factory, (I am having some problems about this because my car, originally white, was painted in a opalescent orange colour! Besides roof. This happened because the car was featured in a UK tv show called "Britain's worst celebrity driver).
Anyway, the idea of taking the roof off and paint the metal wouldn't be ok for italian classic cars bureau because not original.
So, the only alternative is to fix the existing roof trying to do the best.
And.......you are right. Florence is a beautiful city, too bad streets are too narrow for driving a Cadillac!

Benzilla:
Sure I should try to clean it first, but, in the meantime, I have tried to use Natural Shine and works very well. The roof, I think, didn't get so much care in the past years so now it needs some TLC.
In Italy, cars, don't usually have vinyl roof so it is not so easy to find someone which can repair or put a new one on. Probably somewhere there is someone which is able to do it but, like everything related to classic cars here, it might be very very expensive so I think I will just go for doing the best job I can with the one I got.
In the meantime I realize that finding this forum was the best thing could happen to me since I got my car! :highfive:
Thanks!
Luca

·
Registered
94 Seville 2006 STS
149 Posts
Hi,

I painted mine about 2 years ago and it still looks good. I have posted on this. Just can't remember when. Hope this helps.

Ralph

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,072 Posts
The vinyl top was invented as a way to sell the cars on the production line that had warps and waves in the top during assembly that would otherwise have to be reworked to be acceptable. They became so popular that sometimes even good ones were covered up. Don't be surprised to find all kinds of atrocities when the vinyl is removed.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
If the car was ordered special with a top, I doubt that they waited for one with a wavy roof to throw it on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts