Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
understandable and yes i am familar with this ive always been interested in vette based motors in "lower" models. if ya havent checked my cars i have an 83 Trans AM pacecar with the dreaded CROSSFIRE motor. I yanked the orginal 305 X-Fire and droped in a Vette X-Fire. I did the same with my old 94 Camaro, yanked the old LT1 and droped in a Vette LT1 and had a custom exhaust installed. I love F-Bodys and it was nice to have a corvette powertrain in a car with an insurance price that i could actually pay.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
CadillacETC1997 said:
At what point in time did i display ignorance the LT1
Easy, Tiger. No need to get your panties in a bunch over this. If I pointed out your ignorance, would you be able to recognize it? Not to get philosophical, or anything...

CadillacETC1997 said:
it is still A CORVETTE BASED LT1. Its is the same block with different internals. Major reason it was detourqued and dehorsed was so as not to have Lt1 camaros and trans ams (which also had a more restrictive exhaust) keeping up with Chevys Fleet car.
Yes, it is true that the Corvette needs to be the ultimate performer for GM. But to say the B or D body was "detourqed and dehorsed" is going a bit far maybe.
The torque on the B/D body (being that it is a much heavier car than the Vette) car is made at a different RPM to get the barge off the line. 330 lb.-ft. @ 2400 for the B/D body and 335 lb.-ft. torque at 4000 rpm for the Corvette.
Same goes for the Camaro/Firebird since they need HP/TQ levels at different RPMS since weight is also different.

Also to note that the B/D body is not meant to be the performance oriented vehicle that the Corvette is. The Corvette is a sports car, through and through. For it's price tag owners are expecting this car to flat out perform. That's why there is no back seat!
The Camaro??? It's technically a Pony car. Yes, most owners expect to make the car perform and really abuse it and modify the beejeesus out of it (excluding most V6 owners). But then there is also a vast F-body population who own the car strictly for transportation since it costs not much more than a typical passenger car (including the V6 owners). GM perhaps wisely choked the vehicle up a bit so "all" owners wouldn't kill themselves. They knew that gearheads would modify the hell out of these F-bods as soon as they could - the potential was obviously there already.

The B and D body cars (Roadmaster, Caprice, Impala, wagons, Fleetwood) are unique. Most owners are Blue-haired folks (at least new owners in 1994-6). The Impala SS got a few more performance minded folks buying them. But honestly it is nothing but a LT1 Caprice with a facelift. Suspension is almost identical (same crappy lower control arms, ball joints, missing body bushings) save for lower springs and shocks. The B4U optioned Caprice has stiffer springs and a "sport" suspension from the factory.

The 9C1 Caprice is arguably better than the Impala SS for minor reasons I won't even bore anyone with. This is an eternal debate among B-body owners.

Where does the Fleetwood fit into this? Well at a 40K price tag in 1994 I seriously doubt many performance gearheads would choose the same priced Fleetwood over a Corvette. The Fleetwood is an excellent base for performance like the F-body since it was marketed for a different crowd but was graced with an excellent drivetrain. The Blue-haired crowd bought these cars new, and young punks like us are snapping them up second hand to have some fun. A little tweaking and the car can and will scream!

Relax, have a Merry Christmas and keep the cars on the road!
Peace!:cool2:

21 - 22 of 22 Posts