Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It has gotten worse over time. Anyone else experiencing this? Can or should we do something? This doesn't sound healthy.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
79 Posts
Damn...That is pretty noisy. I have an 07 with 68k on it and no noise I can tell. What temp outside was this video taken?

·
Premium Member
2019 RAM Rebel & 1995 Jeep Wrangler (fully built)
12,114 Posts
From the looks of it the truck has been sitting outside in the rain. Was that the case?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
The only one of my 2007 and up Escalade's that sounded like that, and it blew up in my garage at under 1000 miles, that is bad for sure. :(

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,488 Posts
From the looks of it the truck has been sitting outside in the rain. Was that the case?

Yup, thats exactly why I dont leave mine out in the rain, that will do it every time....... Nah, im just joking, that sounds awful. Obviously it wasnt that cold, regardless, an engine should never sound like that. Hopefully your dealer will do his job.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
275 Posts
I hear alot of late model GM engine sounding like that when cold. It is piston to cylinder rattle or "piston slap". But I dont think it is a big problem. One of my work trucks has done it for over 200K miles...stops as soon as the piston heats up. Better to have to much clearence than not enough.

·
Premium Member
12,114 Posts
Yup, thats exactly why I dont leave mine out in the rain, that will do it every time....... Nah, im just joking, that sounds awful. Obviously it wasnt that cold, regardless, an engine should never sound like that. Hopefully your dealer will do his job.
Not exactly what I was getting at...:)

·
Premium Member
12,114 Posts
Not exactly what I was getting at...ah nevermind.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,488 Posts
I hear alot of late model GM engine sounding like that when cold. It is piston to cylinder rattle or "piston slap". But I dont think it is a big problem. One of my work trucks has done it for over 200K miles...stops as soon as the piston heats up. Better to have to much clearence than not enough.
You could be correct in thinking its not a big problem but I would furious if I started my Cadillac one morning and thats what I heard. These things cost a lot of money. Denali, Tahoe or Escalade, we shouldnt hear sounds like this from under the hood. That being said, I knew piston slap would be an eventual possibility before I purchased mine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
86 Posts
mine has it and it sounds even worse when u drive it..takes 3-5km to go away...but at higher rpm right before shifitng i still here it...to me it sounds like my bottom end it going :S..i took it to the dealer twice..haha first time they said they couldnt hear it..(are u serious..!!) second time i took it in they said it was normal and not to worry..but ive built a couple race cars (drag) when i was a lil younger and that sound means bad news...i almost just want it to blow up so i can rub it in there face...thinkin of going back again but to a different dealer next week...and this time taking the mechanic with me for a ride

·
Super Moderator
6,488 Posts
mine has it and it sounds even worse when u drive it..takes 3-5km to go away...but at higher rpm right before shifitng i still here it...to me it sounds like my bottom end it going :S..i took it to the dealer twice..haha first time they said they couldnt hear it..(are u serious..!!) second time i took it in they said it was normal and not to worry..but ive built a couple race cars (drag) when i was a lil younger and that sound means bad news...i almost just want it to blow up so i can rub it in there face...thinkin of going back again but to a different dealer next week...and this time taking the mechanic with me for a ride
Its funny to me the different noises that different ears can hear, especially when there is no warranty involved. If you were a cash customer there is a very good chance the tech would hear it then.........

·
Registered
Cadillac
86 Posts
Its funny to me the different noises that different ears can hear, especially when there is no warranty involved. If you were a cash customer there is a very good chance the tech would hear it then.........
haha i know!!...and when there not making money they always put u on the back burner...the tech will work on ur truck when they get a chance...im sure if i had cash in hand and asked" hey..should i replace my motor bacause of this knocking sound?..they would respond("yes right away sir..if ya dont, that motor will blow up, thats def not a normal sound!")..sooooo frustrating

·
Registered
07 Escalade EXT, 08 Escalade ESV
14 Posts
I have almost 200k on mine and has been doing the piston slap for over 50k now... was told the same thing from dealer... not to worry that all large displacement engines will do it.... so far so good but annoys the hell out of me till truck warms up... sounds like a dam diesel for first 10 min

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
That's piston slap my friends. Get that fixed by your dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896
The fix for that would be stringent quality control, but more importantly a normal DOHC engine, but gm will not offer them. It costs them too much money. My truck has been making that noise for some time now, never knew about piston slap till I got this car. If it's one thing I've learned about this truck and gm. It is to do my homework before buying. I made a mistake that is costing me almost $800.00 a month.

·
Registered
2007 EXT
504 Posts
I had mine fixed with all new pistons rods bearings etc. Never had a problem since.

The fix for that would be stringent quality control, but more importantly a normal DOHC engine, but gm will not offer them. It costs them too much money. My truck has been making that noise for some time now, never knew about piston slap till I got this car. If it's one thing I've learned about this truck and gm. It is to do my homework before buying. I made a mistake that is costing me almost $800.00 a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896

·
Super Moderator
6,488 Posts

If one dealer shows no love, go somewhere else. Eventually someone will step up and fix it for you. Id hate to be unhappy and feel like I made a mistake every month when that payment came due.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts