Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was in my head, but lately my car has been vibrating while cruising. You can definitely feel it in the wheel and seat of your pants while driving. It's a 2008 cts4 with the DI engine.

Should I be worried?

·
Registered
08 CTS blk/blk
383 Posts
Hey,

Ive owned my 08 CTS 4 DI for about 4 plus years and have been enduring vibrations for about 130,000 miles. I can only tell you that I have chased and chased till I finally gave up. One day on the way to work it vibrates the next day smooth as silk. I can only suggest to you that you do a road force balance on good quality tires ( I prefer Michelin). Some people have had the drive shaft (prop shaft) indexed. My personal feeling after driving for 50 years is that I believe its the prop shaft coupling flying out of orbit. These rubber doo das flex enough I believe to throw the shaft out of balance. The wheels on these cars can collect snow easily; so if you drive through snow clean the wheels. I personally have had this problem since I live in Mass. I love my CTS but its got a mind of its own; I now just live with it. If I had the money I would put vibration sensors all over this thing and locate this mystery once and for all. Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would stuck snow really make that much of a difference? I just drove back from the gym on the highway, it was shaking so hard I thought my teeth were going to fall out!

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
121 Posts
Yes, frozen snow in your wheel will throw off the wheel balance immensely. If you have a garage, pull it in over night and put a space heater out there to help it melt.
Just happened to me yesterday, I live in saratoga springs, NY (upstate) and we just got hammered with a snow storm. I drove to work early in the morning when plows were still trying to keep up. By the time I drove home, everything was still stuck in my wheels and I could barely go over 40. Parked it over night inside and today it was perfect.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
The frozen snow stuck in the wheels happened to me the other day and yes it caused quite a vibration.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
194 Posts
The frozen snow stuck in the wheels happened to me the other day and yes it caused quite a vibration.
Same here, I had to endure a 50 mile tooth jarring ride because I had snow and ice frozen onto my rims. I parked it out in the sun all day and was fine after that.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,115 Posts
Same here, I had to endure a 50 mile tooth jarring ride because I had snow and ice frozen onto my rims. I parked it out in the sun all day and was fine after that.
Did you get much snow out on the Cape? Usually doesn't snow much out there, so I thought. My daughter was in Mashpee for a few years and never got much.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
Most of the ideas I have are mentioned here. I always have roadforce balance because this car is very sensitive to out of balance tires. Yes, ice and snow will cause a lot of vibration issues! I have had that too, although not after moving to Atlanta! Finally, I have also had a bent rim cause that issue as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
194 Posts
Did you get much snow out on the Cape? Usually doesn't snow much out there, so I thought. My daughter was in Mashpee for a few years and never got much.
Yeah we got hammered, this was a bad storm as nor' easters go. Had wind gusts to 70 mph with blowing snow. We got around 2 feet total. Most of the time these storms produce lots of snow for New England but it usually rains on the Cape due to the ocean temperature and the track of the storms. Most years there is bare ground all winter and you can play golf almost all winter if you don't mind wearing a jacket which is why we like it however sometimes we do get walloped.

I washed my CTS and put it away in the garage before the storm, I don't think I'll be taking it out again until late March, too much salt on the roads right now.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,115 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had no idea. But seems like that was the problem. After I make sure to brush out the wheels and wheel wells and left it in the garage overnight, problem gone!

I have had this car for 5 years and it had never done that b4. Learn something new each day

1 - 11 of 11 Posts