Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its strange, only sometimes and its like a breathing vibration.. Where it vibrates then stops half a second, then vibrates. Its not always but most of the time or half the time. Could it be the throtle body being dirty? Injectors? I replaced a motor mount and it stayed the same, shop said other mounta looked good and the vibration was not too bad to just leave it like that. Also i noticed if i press the gas a bit vibration stops, could i modify de rpm when idling to get rid of this? Thanks any advice or comment helps
 

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
Joined
·
285 Posts
...maybe do a throttle relearn, no harm in trying...

After a power loss, such as disconnecting the battery or
removing the maxi fuses in the power distribution fuse
block, the following steps must be performed to calibrate
the electronic throttle control. If this is not done, the
engine will not run properly.

1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN. Do not start the
engine.
2. Leave the ignition in ON/RUN for at least
three minutes so that the electronic throttle
control will cycle and re-learn its home position.
3. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
4. Start and run the engine for at least 30 seconds.
 

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
microfuture said:
...maybe do a throttle relearn, no harm in trying... After a power loss, such as disconnecting the battery or removing the maxi fuses in the power distribution fuse block, the following steps must be performed to calibrate the electronic throttle control. If this is not done, the engine will not run properly. 1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN. Do not start the engine. 2. Leave the ignition in ON/RUN for at least three minutes so that the electronic throttle control will cycle and re-learn its home position. 3. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF. 4. Start and run the engine for at least 30 seconds.
I will try this as soon as i get home, Thanks A LOTT!
 

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehehe good video!,

That did not work, any other suggestions? Would lower springs and broken struts have anything to do with it? My car was lowered and i think i need to replace struts, aniways what else should i check?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
SAME EXACT THING ON MY 2011 COUPE

I head a thread about this about 2 months ago, anyway is was the electrical connecter on the passenger side of the motor banging against the strut tower, I have cpo and service fixed it, but 1st claimed is was the 2nd fuel pump on DI engines making noise on back of pager side cylinder head,, anyway I knew this want the case and found the vibration battle myself, they simply turned the wire harness in the wire harness clip so the connector no longer bangs (vibrates against) into the passenger side strut tower
 

·
Registered
CTS Coupe Performance Stick
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
My serious suggestion is to go to a dealer or mechanic you trust & have them look. Too many variables in play to do on the net.
 

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
How many rpm do you have while you feel vibrations? Are rpm stable at idle?
 

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JkdVegas said:
SAME EXACT THING ON MY 2011 COUPE I head a thread about this about 2 months ago, anyway is was the electrical connecter on the passenger side of the motor banging against the strut tower, I have cpo and service fixed it, but 1st claimed is was the 2nd fuel pump on DI engines making noise on back of pager side cylinder head,, anyway I knew this want the case and found the vibration battle myself, they simply turned the wire harness in the wire harness clip so the connector no longer bangs (vibrates against) into the passenger side strut tower
Thanks a lott! I will be taking it for service this weekend and tell them to check that!

I took it to a mechanic said motor mount paid around 200 dollars and its the same!, then he said stop wasting money trying to figure out that vibration you will most likely spend a lott and you will never completely get rid of it :(.

Thing is sometimes it idles perfectlyy! At whatever rpm!, sometimes its pretty vibration but like a breathing vibration, i could press the gas drive around 3 blocks and then stop and it doesnt vibrate at all! The car even feels better, its probably a similar problem since its on and off it could be a wire loose?? I dont think its motor mounts because its not always

Any other suggestions?

I love this forum :)
 

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
Are you sure engine mounts are replaced? Did you check it? Have they empty AC refrigerant and fill it again? (it is necessary to disconnect hoses from AC compressor)
I had very similar symptoms, only 37k miles. I replaced engine mounts and vibrations gone.

----------

I also thought this is wire problem, because vibrations was mostly on cold/wet days. On hot sunny no vibrations at all.
 

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kkuz said:
Are you sure engine mounts are replaced? Did you check it? Have they empty AC refrigerant and fill it again? (it is necessary to disconnect hoses from AC compressor) I had very similar symptoms, only 37k miles. I replaced engine mounts and vibrations gone. ---------- I also thought this is wire problem, because vibrations was mostly on cold/wet days. On hot sunny no vibrations at all.


I will take it to the dealership, i have never gone to a dealership, i feel like im gonna pay thousands of dollars :s

how much do they charge for estimates?

Im scared to pay around 1k for the mounts and labor and the car staying the same, but im sure regular mechanics from private shops dont know as much on cadillacs, they usually work on older cars.

----------

I hate it, all day today, weather was nice btw!, i had no vibrations on idle, but im sure it comes back -.-... I should start by cheapest to most expensive methods, this issue makes me want to sell my car at times :/. I wish it could idle like my old 08 cts
 

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
I had to pay $110 for parts (RWD version) and $100 labor in small repair shop. I never use dealership if not must. It would cost there $750.
Another symptom I remember was shaking of headlight beam which I could see in traffic at evening.
If you have an access to lifter you can try to check if mounts are bad. You have to remove bottom engine plastic shield, start engine and touch the bolt in the bracket/arm of each engine mount. I was feeling vibrations on one of them. You can also do a test witch you will find on youtube - in Drive mode push firmly on brake and push gas pedal (be careful!). Another person should stay next to open hood (not in front of the car!) and look if engine not moving to much or in strange way. This test will work if mounts are very bad.
 

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kkuz said:
I had to pay $110 for parts (RWD version) and $100 labor in small repair shop. I never use dealership if not must. It would cost there $750. Another symptom I remember was shaking of headlight beam which I could see in traffic at evening. If you have an access to lifter you can try to check if mounts are bad. You have to remove bottom engine plastic shield, start engine and touch the bolt in the bracket/arm of each engine mount. I was feeling vibrations on one of them. You can also do a test witch you will find on youtube - in Drive mode push firmly on brake and push gas pedal (be careful!). Another person should stay next to open hood (not in front of the car!) and look if engine not moving to much or in strange way. This test will work if mounts are very bad.
Thanks for advice!

I JUST NOTICED THE AC OFF MAKES THE VIBRATION EITHER INVISIBLE OR A LOT LESS! when i turn the AC ON, it vibrates a lot more! Also when weather is nice it doesnt vibrate much, any ideas anyone?, they told me its 125 for a full diagnostic is it worth it?? Theyre probably gonna say it needs a million things idk -.-.. Always trying to make money lol
 

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i just spent around $550 ordering struts shocks and oem springs since previous owner lowered it, and im gonna spend another 180 install and 80 alignment.. Im gonna take it to dealership for a complete inspection after replacing those things, i dont want them to blame lowering springs and stuff like that since its aftermarket..

What i have noticed is that when car doesnt vibrate when idling it drives better more smooth. Idk it could be me, but it feels like when it vibrates a lot when idling the car drives not as smooth. Any ideas? Motor mounts affect also on driving a bit?.. Also temperature, when its a nice weather usually the car wont idle vibrate, or after warming up in a good weather it wont vibrate idle.. I love this forum and thanks for checking up :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top