Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac SRX V8 Northstar AWD w/ 18" wheels
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 SRX V8 AWD, ~90k miles. Car idles super smooth, drives pretty good up to ~40mph. At 40 and up it gets a minor vibration - nothing crazy, but annoying, can feel it in the steering wheel and the chassis as a whole. Easier to tell if you say "ahhhhh" and can feel/hear your voice slightly wobble, which doesn't sound right.

Had a trusted mechanic put it on a lift and give it a once over, he said everything feels tight and no play. Did need new tires (3 from '09 and 1 from '04), so *just* put 4 brand new tires of stock size (staggered size front to back per manual), tire pressures per manual.

It's got a noise during bumps/compression that I recognize from my other vehicle as a sway bar end link on the front passenger side, and he confirmed it's probably time to replace those, so I have those arriving tomorrow. Could that be transferring any extra vibrations to the wheel/chassis?

He did say there was a noise that sounded like a wheel bearing, but it was constant/didn't change when turning the wheel etc. And I don't think it's as loud if even present anymore now that the tires were replaced - might have just been tire noise?

Already replaced the driver's side motor mount which was badly broken as well. Free 4-wheel alignment check after tires were done shows everything within spec (except for driver's side front Caster -4.8, spec is 3.5-4.7 - that's close enough right?)

Doesn't seem to change much during braking, it's there just about the same at speed or braking. Just doesn't feel like I htink a Cadillac should, although it's the only one I've driven so I don't have much to compare it to.

It has been in a front end accident with the airbags deployed last year, but was put back together and still has a clear title. A few months before that (Dec 2011), the previous owner spent over $2k on suspension parts at the dealer. Paperwork says "Customer states right front makes a noise when going over bumps, when cold. Lower Control Arm Bushing on the right side torn and fluid had leaked out of the bushing. All other bushing dry rotten. Replaced both Lower Control Arm Assemblys". Also Axle Seals replaced ("Customer request to have axle seals replaced Axle Seals found to be leaking during inspection Replaced Axles Seals and topped off Rear Diff Fluid). Also Front Brakes ("Customer request to have Front Brakes replaced Front Brakes worn down, and Rotor have excessive run out Replaced Front Brake Pads and Resurfaced Rotors"). Also 4 Wheel Alignment (front and rear)."

Any thoughts? I've only had the car a few weeks but just trying to get it to Caddy perfection. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
How did the SRX drive when you bought it? Did it initially have that slight vibration @ 40mph. Does the vibration continue above 40mph or go and come back as speed increases?

Sounds to me you have covered several of the bases with the motor mount and suspension. I've had my sway bar insulators and lower control arm bushings issues on my SRX as well, plus a loose front brake caliper.

I am not a mechanic nor am I mechanically inclined. All I have to go on is experience with my own vehicles over the past 45 years and now the SRX.

That said, perhaps the new tires you installed (and/or the alignment) were a seminal event that started all of this.

PJ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's not the tires - it had the same characteristics only worse before the tires were replaced, the new tires have given it a much much bit better ride, but it still doesn't seem perfect.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Find an alignment shop that can do an on car wheel balance/run-out evaluation. It may take some searching since you have AWD.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant to add that my mechanic did notice the inside of the wheel had some chips out of it, like it had hit a curb on the inside, and had slid the wheel weight too. But after the tires were replaced they rebalanced them when they put them on.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Your vibes are speed sensitive so something in the rotating mass is out of kilter. Best way to check is on car analysis. You could try someone else's wheels/tires.

·
Registered
SRX V8 RWD 2004
153 Posts
I had a 1999 crown Victoria that would shutter around 35 mph. Replacing the trans fluid solved the problem. A guy I work with had a similar problem on newer Mitsubishi montero that also fixed problem. I haven't heard anyone with an SRX mention this though.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Your vibes are speed sensitive so something in the rotating mass is out of kilter. Best way to check is on car analysis. You could try someone else's wheels/tires.
I agree. Eliminating run-out (out of roundness) of the mounted tires would be my first look see with your mechanic if he has the needle gauge to do it.

One year ago I watched my trusted mechanic work on a late model Jag, vibration issue, tires bought and mounted by owner somewhere else and initially taken back to them......but they left the owner with no answer.

Took my mechanic 20 minutes of work (each) and a lot of monkeying with the weights on the fronts just to get the tire balance right using a Hunter Force balancer. Said the OEM Jag alloy wheels were the issue, not the tires.

That "just within spec" alignment setting would have my brain working......since the car was popped up front previously. Center spec would be better.

PJ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to mechanic today. He said they got it up on the lift and had a guy on each side checking it out - turns out the passenger side front strut is broken and leaking fluid..

So how do I found out if I have the MRC (Magnetic Ride Control), and how does the interact with getting the front strut replaced? Does it require a different part, or does it just add more labor into getting the new strut installed and set up, or does it not have anything to do with it?

He got a quote from a parts place that said the strut was ~$130 - does that sound right?

~ CoolATIGuy

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
At that price, not MRC, which you probably don't have on your car.

BTW, same mechanic that said on 1-31 that everything was OK?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, although he said since he doesn't have the equipment to replace the struts himself, to get a 2nd opinion anyways just to be sure. He didn't do the sway bar end links for the time being until we get this done.

Also had the dealer do a $100 multi-point inspection about a month ago not long after I bought it, and they found the broken engine mount and leaking thermostat, but not this either. They marked down the suspension as ok.

I guess I need to look up the codes on the spare tire cover. If F55 isn't listed, it's not MRC right? FE1 is just softer springs/shocks and FE3 is firmer springs/shocks?

The lower control arm assembly on the passenger side was damaged and leaking, so both of the lower control arm assembly's were replaced about a year gago. Also a wheel bearing and the axle seals quite awhile back. But I do not know if any other suspension parts have ever been replaced or not. It's been owned by several different dealers during it's life. ~90k miles now.

Interestingly, my mechanic only came up with one strut option, and Rockauto is the same way (only non-MRC struts). The only place I've found struts for MRC-equipped vehicles are dealer parts sites. I've ordered from partszoneonline.com before - they've got the non-MRC struts for ~$106/each + shipping, and MRC equipped struts for ~$465/each + shipping.

2006 V8 Northstar SRX AWD 18" tires ~90k miles

Should I replace both struts if I really do find out the one side is damaged and leaking? Should I do other suspension parts too, and/or anything in the rear?

Also, any suggestions on better/different parts, or should I just stick with the oem struts?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I guess I need to look up the codes on the spare tire cover.
Good idea.
The lower control arm assembly on the passenger side was damaged and leaking,
There is nothing on a control arm that can leak.
he doesn't have the equipment to replace the struts
What mechanic worth his salt can't replace a strut. I could do it in my garage or back yard.
It's been owned by several different dealers during it's life.
Sounds like it's bee kicked around because it didn't sell.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Customer states right front makes a noise when going over bumps, when cold. Lower Control Arm Bushing on the right side torn and fluid had leaked out of the bushing. All other bushing dry rotten. Replaced both Lower Control Arm Assemblys"

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
From the SM-
The innermost end of the control arm attached at 2 points to the vehicle frame, through semi-rigid bushings.
, read, rubber.

Sounds to me as this car has had some pretty rough use. Hope you don't have to spend too much to make it a decent ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You and me both. :) It was in a front end bump that set off the airbags. Clean title, frame is fine, but front fascia support was welded back on.

Yes, the control arm was leaking through the rubber bushing and the arms were replaced because it was making noise.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I was thinking more along the line of being driven over cobblestones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called another shop, they said the struts were a dealer only part, plus it's an air-ride vehicle and they don't work on air-ride suspensions. What's going on here?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I believe only the rear shocks (struts) are air. What is your suspension RPO?

Besides, a strut is nothing more than a shock with an attached spring and mounting hardware. There MUST be aftermarket strut/shocks. It's not pixie dust stuff. And if it is dealer only, there are lots of online dealers with fair prices, including Rippy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
132 - light gray
1sb - srx-v8 standard package
67u - light platinum
7nc - component frt rh comp sel susp
9ma - component rr rh comp sel susp
ah8 - 8-way power passenger seat (replaces std/opt adjuster)
am0 - third row power seat (replaces reconfigurable storage)
ay0 - inflatable restraint dri & pass
c4r - gvw rating 6, 008 lbs
ce4 - washer headlamp, high pressure
dd7 - auto dimming isrv mirror
dr2 - auto dimming osrv driver mirror
fe9 - 50-state emissions
il2 - trim interior design
jja - pt dress subassembly installed
kg4 - 150 amp generator
mv3 - all wheel drive
n30 - steering wheel deluxe
q16 - p235/60r18 frt & p255/55r18 rr all-season, blackwall tires
r6p - premium paint
r9n - leather seating trim
tb5 - liftgate, power, rear
u2k - xm satellite radio - service fee extra.1st 3 months incl.
U30 - cluster inst, tach, clock
ua6 - theft deterrent system
ug1 - universal home remote
v08 - heavy duty cooling system
v4v - srx v8 model conversion
v73 - vehicle statement
y40 - luxury package * reconfigurable storage * universal home remote * burled walnut wood trim * tire pressure monitor
y42 - driver's package * limited slip differential * tires p235/60r18 frt & p255/55r18 rr all-season, * 18" machine finished wheels * hid headlamps w/washers & twilight sentinel auto cntl.
Y45 - utility package * third row power seat (replaces reconfig storage) * trailering equipment * rear air conditioning * heavy duty cooling system * power steering fluid cooler
yd5 - spring frt base equip, proc opt
13i - interior trim light gray
1sz - preferred equipment savings
6nc - component frt lh comp sel susp
8ma - component rr lh comp sel susp
a45 - multi-driver memory settings
al2 - power adjustable lumbar
aq9 - luxury front bucket seats
b19 - burled walnut wood trim
c57 - rear air conditioning
cj2 - dual zone climate control
dl5 - decal - roadside service info
fe1 - 4-wheel independent suspension
gu5 - axle rear 3.23 ratio
je5 - power antilock brake system
ka1 - heated front seats
lh2 - 4.6l v8 vvt sfi engine
mx7 - all wheel drive
nt9 - emission - federal
qf8 - 18" machine finished wheels
r8k - *******************************
slm - stock orders
tt6 - hid headlamps w/washers & twilight sentinel auto cntl
u2s - am/fm/6 cd changer w/7 spkrs (replaces std/opt radio)
u57 - 8 speaker bose audio system
ue1 - onstar service: Includes 1 year directions & connections plan
uj6 - tire pressure monitor
v12 - pwr steering cooling sys fluid
v55 - chrome roof rails
v92 - trailering equipment
y41 - bose premium sound system * am/fm/6 cd changer * 8 speaker bose audio system (replaces std/opt radio)
y44 - premium seating package * heated front seats * power adjustable lumbar * power passenger seat * auto dimming driver mirror * multi-driver memory settings
yb6 - axle(base equip) processing opt
yd6 - spring rr, base equip, proc opt

----------

I think shop was wrong, another looked up the vin and said it's not air ride in the front... ugh :p

Goodyear wanted ~$1000 for just the 2 front struts (non-MRC) after labor and alignment. Dealer was like $845. Another shop was ~$750, and found one was $595 for parts, labor, and alignment (everything but tax) for both front struts.

How do those prices sound? Wish I could buy the genuine new OEM parts from partszoneonline.com and get them for ~$120/each shipped, just can't find anyone to put them in...

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
fe1 - 4-wheel independent suspension
That's the standard suspension, no air, no MRC.

Prices, hard to tell. Are they replacing the complete struts or just the shocks (apples/oranges). Have you tried a popular 4x4 repair place. They usually know what they're doing? Good idea to do both sides, if one has gone bad the other is soon to follow, sort of like Hansel & Gretel.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts