2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
The exhaust gas recirculation is a nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduction technique. Emission reduction engineering in the past used EGR valves to reduce the oxygen in the combustion chamber and as a result the temperature of the combustion chamber.How is exhaust gas recirculation implemented on the XT5? The engine has integrated the manifold in the cylinder head.
A detailed description of the engine design targeted at nitrogen oxide emissions reduction is hard to find, but the following features contribute to that end:
- Oil-spray piston cooling
- Improved Variable Valve Timing (VVT) with an ‘intermediate park’ feature
- Reshaped piston tops to promote a better mix of the air and fuel during the direct injection process
- New four-cam phasing system with intermediate park technology that enhances efficiency by enabling late inlet valve closing in certain conditions
- All-new, patented “targeted” cooling system that provides strategic cooling of the engine’s hottest areas while simultaneously fostering faster warm-up to enhance efficiency
- The new head design also has improved combustion chamber cooling enabled by the patented targeted cooling system, which reduces the chance for knock and enhance high-load efficiency.