Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 Cadillac ESV platinum edition and we often use it to tow our 21 foot Ranger Commanche to Canada. The truck tows fine until we reach speeds above 60 miles an hour or so. Once that speed is reached, the vehicle begins to vibrate pretty severely. Especially the steering wheel. After getting out of the truck your hands are almost shaking!! Without the trailer at that speed there is no problem. We have also tried it with other boats with the same effect. We had the tires balanced and rotated which didn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. :) I would first get your tires road force balanced, many tire shops have these balancers, they are made by Hunter, you can not believe how good they work, and it will also show if any or your wheels are bent or damaged, that could be another cause or your problem.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
I tow a 29' camper with a 03 ESV and there is no vibration.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Like hcvone said, start with a Roadforce Balance, especially if you have oversize wheels and tires. Discount Tire or America's Tire stores have the equipment and are nationwide I think. http://www.discounttire.com Roadforce balance is the only method that will stop vibration for my escalade.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Is your trailer two or four wheel? Do you know the tongue weight you put on the trailer ball? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pete
Four wheel, I am not sure of the tongue weight probably between 500-700 lbs. I have a big load leveling hitch.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
I tow a 21' skiboat (about 4600lbs loaded, tandem axle) with zero vibration @ 70+mph.

When I first got my 20s, I noticed a slight (very very slight) steering wheel vibration under normal load (not towing) conditions, and the vibration increased substantially with a trailer attached (though not as bad as yours, just an annoyance). Last spring, I was driving down the street when a crazy curb jumped out into the road and took out the sidewall of a tire, so I got a new one (and asked to have all the tires rebalanced).

This took away all the vibration, load or no load.

TD

ps - watch out for psycho curbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts