Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Excellent info-a must read thread for Deville owner. Hey Logandiagnostic, any simmilar scenarios for a 99 Escalade? The only service that comes close to eliminating the vibration is a roadforce balance but it just returns within 2K miles and progressivly gets worse. Even with the factory rims with new spec goodyears which are very expensive. Any info would be appreciated!:banghead:

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
Hey 'spripget'....let me get this right....I thought they put the 16s Deville wheels on as a test in place of the 17s. They sent you home with the 16s? I wish I could make that trade. The 17s are a much more expensive wheel. Plus on the DTS it wont look right with the 16s...

I personally have had the best luck with tires and Cadillacs.....using Michelins.

As mentioned....its almost always the tires. They are paying these kids what....$5...6...7 $s an hour? They dont care. It is so easy to damage a tire during the install. You will never see 'bad' tire. They will look new. They can damage tires all day long....and your stuck with them. The dont even know they are damaging them.

Mine happened to be a engine mount and suspect bad front tire. Changed the mount...and moved 1 tire to the rear of the car. Cant wait to go on a 500 mile drive now....its now driving that nice. CHECK THE FRONT LOWER ENGINE MOUNT.

The Hunter equipment can help some. But if the sidewall is damaged. It will still vibrate. Vibration during a lane change indicates sidewall damage.

Tire pressure. I am currently running 30-31 psi on my Fake DTS. I have had tires mounted and came home and check the pressure, and have seen 38-44 psi from some tire shops.

Again for 'spripget'....the bulletin mentioned does apply to your car.

For 'skides1' .....the '99 Escalade is really a dressed up Chevy truck. Try starting another post about that truck and I will look up bulletins.Its a completly different vehicle. It would just be confusing to add any info here about the Escalade.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
728 Posts
It has been mentioned, but I just wanted to point out, that the Hunter Roadforce balance is not just another balancing. It applies up to 1000 lbs of force to the wheel/tire while it rolls and can thus detect much more imbalances (as the tire is deformed while it rolls). Also, talk to the guys at the place doing it. There is some spec at which they won't try to improve the balance (i.e. it's within spec) but often times removing the tires and remounting them will result in an even better balance reading. For our cars, I think this helps a lot. You want the absolute best reading they can get.

The other was just my opinion of the later bulletin about replacing the lower control arms. I had the impression that they put dampers on it to reduce the vibration. IMO, that's not a great fix. It's a large weight that is attached to the control arm and it basically gets vibrating out of phase with the other vibration. It should help, but more weight in the suspension pieces is not something I would want...

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 2000 Deville also has the same vibration between 60-72. Just the speed I normally drive at on the highway. I have had new tires and had them rebalanced several times. Never had this problem with my Towncar or Continental. Guess I'll live with it until I can unload it and find another Lincoln. Shame too, I really like verything else about the Caddy, but this vibation is just way too annoying to live with. My last Caddy was a '73 Coupe DeVille, granted it was only 6 months old when I purchased it. Now that was one very nice road car. I guess I was expecting the 2000 to be better. :( On the other hand, maybe a XJ8 would work. They really ride nice and none I have driven so far have had any vibrations.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Be aware...the only real way to check the front lower mount....remove the lower mount cradle bolt and jack the engine up. A bad mount will have a wiggly lower stud.

Mine was in the early stages of failure. Just a slight tear...no goo leaking from the joint. But....boy, did it make a difference in the ride/vibration department.

$77 @ Cadillac.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Logandiagnostic said:
Be aware...the only real way to check the front lower mount....remove the lower mount cradle bolt and jack the engine up. A bad mount will have a wiggly lower stud.

Mine was in the early stages of failure. Just a slight tear...no goo leaking from the joint. But....boy, did it make a difference in the ride/vibration department.

$77 @ Cadillac.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com
Hi, Logan,

I think I also got the engine mount problem.

$71 @ Cadillac? That is unbelievable. Every time I went to dealer, I would have to pay hundreds of dollars.

According to alldata.com, the mount cost $118 and the replacement will take 2 hours. That is a $300 job. How did you get it fixed with only $71? Please share the secret.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think you have a '98 Deville....different engine mount system then the 2000 newer Deville.

We are on pretty good terms with the local Cadillac dealer. The mount cost us $72.23 with Tennessee tax. The sales tax in TN is high (8.75%) because we do not have a state income tax. So heres some info-

Part # is 25759455

GM List price= $88.16
GM Net = $66.12

www.gmpartsdirect.com has it....for $50.25.....but they have the highest shipping costs so it equals out about same.

On the 2000 and newer...checking the mount is about a 15 minute job. Changing the mount is yes...about 2-3 job.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you, Logan.

I think my 98 Deville got engine mount problem. The car hesitates and jerks during acceleration. I can also feel the occasional jerks when waiting for the traffic lights. When on drive, apply brakes and give some gas the same time, I can feel similar jerking movement. The front of the engine raises a little bit (about half an inch). But, at highway, at 70mph without acceleration, the car runs smooth. This is different from highway vibration you described. What could it be?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Loganmand, yep that's right sent me home with the 16's, yea cheaper rubber but 17's looked better, now it looks like a Deville without the hood emblem. The tires I have are brand new michelin symmetry, I run them at 31 0r 32. Today 4/1/04 had a "force balance", and another alignment, guess what? It's actually worse, and to top it off I have those ugly wheel weights on both sides of the wheel. At 70 mph it shakes like my 78 Blazer work truck, yuk............not a Caddy ride at all...........next step the dealer says is to install that vibration sensor system as noted in that TSB...........if all else fails this GM guy might become a ???????????? Hot rod Lincoln.............ouch!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
spr-I can't believe the "roadforce" didn't help-it the only procedure that gives me smooth bliss. logand is wise-listen and learn!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I had that lower mount changed, and yes it was pulling out of the center, however the vibration is still there, somewhat less, but still there. To make matters / better ???? worse ???? as I'm driving home from the dealer the check suspension system warning comes on..............maybe the computer has discovered the problem. the techs at the dealer sure haven't..............

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well ....at least the mount issue is out of the way. My car is much improved with the new mount.

I would really try getting those DTS wheels back from the dealer. You were robbed. I can understand swapping the wheels as a vibration test....but to send the customer home with a lower grade set....as a trade.... just doesnt hold water....

Being the mount issue is now gone. I would really focus on it being a tire issue. Some ideas...

Dont rotate...but move one tire/wheel one at a time between front and back axles. Then retest...this can often give a clue as to a certain wheel assembly being messed up.

The hunter balancer can really help balance issues. But it is NOT a cure all. If you have a shitty install and the sidewalls get overstretched.....the tire is ruined. But it will look perfect.

Logan
www.logandiagnostic.com
www.airbagcrash.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks again logand..............already told them I want my wheels back.......working on it now...............hope legal action isn't necessary but I'm really frustrated with this dealer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

I own a 2001 Cadillac DHS with 68350 miles and had the same problems
as described by many others. And I had been close to giving up as well.

However, my problems got solved at an independent tire store in Houston
last weekend
. And in an unexpected way.

To sum up all activities that have been done are:

- Before last weekend:
- Installation of lower control arms
- Exchange of tie - rod ends
- breaking down the tires using a Hunter
- Cheching out the engine mount (possible reason decribed in other chat
board)
- Installation of Micheline Symmetrie

Symptons remained.

- Last weekend:
- Throwing away Symmetrie and replacing with - now the surprise -
Goodyear Regatta 2 (I know not recommended and not a H or V tire,
but who drives high speed in the US that requires such a tire anyway).
- Turning the brake disks
- Realignment
- Now the next surprise - higher tire pressure (tested 34 as well as 36 PSI)

Result: Symptoms are gone.

The only thing you now feel is the road. But nothing different to other cars with front wheel drive.

Drove my car back to Dallas and was really enjoying highway speed again.

By the way, the name of the shop is "Phillips Tires". I can provide adddress etc. if somebody is interested.

Side note: I still believe that the easiest way to solve ongoing problems is a procedure nowedays very uncommen in the US (but still standard procedure in Europe). On the car high speed balancing. This procedure will not only take into account any road force, but also balances the free weights of brake pads and disks. But the only stores that I could find were in San Antonio and Atlanta, quite a way off. Anyway, my problems are solved, but in case that somebody still has problems, try to find a store that offers such a prodedure.

:coolgleam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shake Shimmy Shake Shimmy Shake Shimmy Shake Shimmy Shake Shimmy

My 2001 STS has been back to dealer nine times, Cadillac zone rep said it is OK. I am about to give up. What a mess, Cadillac has a problem and will not step forward and find a cure. Should have bought a Lexus, Frank in Dallas Texas

·
Registered
209 Posts
Given the tires are balanced, etc., try new rotors. I have zero vibration now after dealing with same vibration for many miles that many seam to have.

99K miles, no more vibrations! Even w/half worn out Goodyear Aquatread III's.

Chris

21 - 39 of 39 Posts