Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replace almost everything on front end and purchased 4 Mich Symmetry, had car aligned and now steering wheel is turned to the left and car pulls slowly to the left. When I TAKE OFF FAST from dead stop I have noticable vibration/shaking in steering wheel. If I take off slow the car seems fine. Then when I reach 25 to 40 the car has slight vibration in the steering wheel which to me feels like out of round tire or not balanced. There are no codes and I replaced the following parts: Front struts (non-OEM Passive), Strut Mounts, Stabilizer Links, Front and Rear brakes, Front and Rear Rotors, Passenger side CV Halfshaft. Any ideas? Already had tires rebalanced once but not road forced!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Take it back and have them rebalanced. Preferably a RFB.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took back and had rebalanced and alignment checked. Big suprise - out of alignment and out of balance. They redid both and sent me on my way. Drove off as they were closing shop. Car still had vibration between 25 and 40 and steering wheel cocked slightly to the right. Higher speeds seem okay. Take fast - still feel shake/vibration. take off slow - not so much. Could bad motor mount be possible cause or just bad balance and alignment. Planning road trip tomorrow and will test on highway. Probably back to the shop on Saturday to have checked AGAIN! Any suggestions or things to check? Thanks. BTW - this shop (Tire Kingdom/NTB) does not have road force balance or hunter alignment machine.

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
First mistake was tire kingdom.They suck big time.Had my car in for an alignment and I overheard the tech say their machine needed calibration but did an alignment anyway.they then proceeded to balance my 16" tires on the 14" settings.Had to cause a scene to get them to give me a refund cops were nearly called. I took it to Goodyear down the street who had a hunter machine and they will have all my future tire business. Static balancing is no good for your car you need road force balancing with a 4 wheel laser alignment. My car had the same type problems after the Hunter RFB and Alignment she drove like new.If search for hunter road force they have a link to shops that have the hunter equipment.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
At 25 - 40 mph you do not have a balance problem. You replaced a RH axle and maybe it is too short creating some excessive runout on accel. Many cheap aftermarket axles are a hodge-podge of used axle parts cleaned up and put back together, and not necessarily fit for your exact car.A Road Force Balance, although a great tool, is not likely to be necessary on Symmetry tires. Suspect an axle problem, bent wheel, or bent hub if the tires have even been spun on any balancer.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Suspect an axle problem, bent wheel, or bent hub if the tires have even been spun on any balancer."

Please explain. how do I check axle and what do you mean by "if tires have even been spun on any balancer"?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
What I was saying is that if the tires are even close to being in balance, your problem is more like what you mentioned at one point in your first post (out-of-round tire), or it could be an axle issue, bent wheel or bent hub.
Rotate the tires to the rear first and see how it does. If that doesn't change things, lift and support the front of the car and then run the front wheels in drive. Look at the front axles for excessive runout. Your RH axle was replaced, did your problem start then? Think seriously about when this started. I've seen a couple of bent axle shafts and axles that were too short for the application. Both of these conditions, along with severely worn CV joints, would cause a shake on accel. at 25 -40mph. And so would an out-of-round tire. So make sure you rotate first.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. Prior to replacing anything car had a wobble/vibration which turned out to be rear tire with steel belt speration. Front tires were worn and struts were knocking and weak. Since I had to replace at least 3 tires I decided to replace all four. Got $100 instant credit and 20% credit from last tire purchase for this car if I purchased 4 tires. Noticed outer CV boot split while replacing struts and brakes were ready to be replaced. Decided to replace Rotors rather than have turned. Replaced all 4 and new brakes all around. Back to Tire Kingdom(different Store) on Saturday, explained last 3 visit to other location. They stated their equiptment was newer but mechanic was off Saturday and would return Monday. They kept car for the day and rebalanced and re-aligned (yes out of alignment for 4th time in one week). I picked car up close to closing and still had vibration. Alignment was better - steering wheel was straight but car drifts to the left. I am told car should have slowwwwww drift to right. Called TK back and spoke to manager. He said bring it back during the week to have his mechainc look at and check alignment and balance. If they can not correct they MAY send to another tire dealer who offers On-Car balancing as well as road force balancing and hunter alignment machine and have other place bill them directly. Of course they want to try and fix first . I mentioned suggestion from Cadillac Tech (thanks again) regarding out of round or possible bent axle. They will check and let me know. Hoping for the best but time will tell. Back to TK tomorrow or next day. Need to make arrangemet sfor ride to work!

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Bad new parts can cause a serious waste of time on everyone's part. You may have a new tire causing the pull, and your new axle may be causing the wobble/vibration. I've gone through 6 new tires of the same type and brand before trying to correct a pull - you can switch these to all different positions and make no difference. An inexperienced alignment guy will jack with the alignment over and over before he believes he has a tire pull. DO NOT let anyone change your alignment to offset a tire pull. There are optimum alignment readings that will guarantee your car to run straight, the rest is in the tires or roadcrown. Make them give you a final print-out of your alignment, we can talk numbers then if we need to.
Tell them not to worry about on-car or Road Force balancing, that stuff is irrelevent to the problem you are having. IF.. those tools were able to fix your problem, it would be the equivelant of adjusting alignment to fix a tire pull. We need to fix the problem, not try to cover one up.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest update: Dropped off at Tire Kingdom yesterday around closing so they would have all day today to check alignment, check tires and balance. Mechanic will be working in the morning and he will check car. Last 4 times service tech did alignment and balance. Manager called this morning stated he personally did balance and went for test drive after mechanic checked alignment. Car rides fine when coasting but vibrates upon acceleration. He rode in passenger seat and stated he could feel it upon acceleration. He had mechanic look under hood while he pressed the gas and he noticed shifting of the engine. Believes it is bad motor mount. He also stated the passenger tire had very small amount of play but that was normal wear for a 10 year old car. (everything is brand new - struts, strut mounts, CV half shaft, rotors, brakes, stabilizer links) What else needs to be replaced or repaired to tighten it up? Could bad motor mount be the problem and how hard is it to replace?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Engine mount failures are common, but they don't cause your symptom. They can in theory. Your forward and two upper engine mounts would be so far gone that you couldn't stand the thump on accel., and it probably still wouldn't cause a vibration on accel..

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up car. Drives almost straight - wheel has slight tilt to the left. When coasting seems to stay straight - press on gas and car vibrates and goes left. Popped hood, put car in drive, held brake and pressed gas. Engine lifts on passenger side about 2-3 inches maybe more. In reverse engine does not seem to shift up or down. Not sure how to read print out from alignment and I could not insert. Picture shows 3 sets of tires.
left tire right tire
1st row: range 3.5 to 1.5 set at 3.0 range 1.5 to 3.5 set at 3.1 reading in middle 0.1 (side view of tire)
2nd row: range 0.5 to -0.5 set at -0.2 range -0.5 to 0.5 set at 0.0 reading in middle 0.2 (head on view of tire)
3rd row: range 0.00 to 0.20 set at 0.15 range 0.20 to 0.00 set at 0.10 reading in middle .25 (top view of two front tires)

Still vibrate slightly when coasting and alot when accelerating. Thinking it may be defective CV Half shaft that I just replaced on passanger side and motor mount. Not sure how to verify bad motor mount. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Front mount seperated. Guess this explains the remaining front end noise. Changed mount with Autozone part ($75.00). Took about 3 hours - rained off and on. Had to jack up car, put supports under body, then support engine. Had to raise and lower engine several times while removing nuts. Removed passenger side fan after looseing drivers side fan. Car still has vibration upon acceleration and slight vibration when coasting. Brought back to Tire Kingdom to re-check alignment and balance since wheel has tilt to left and slow drift to left. Brought FSM with specs for alignment as discussion with TK manager. He wanted to see but then told me he could not adjust his machine to accept FSM specs for alignment. Will pick up car tomorrow. IF not corrected, TK managr suggested getting second opinion - maybe from dealer. He did not offer to pay for dealer time and I should have but did not ask. Instead I told him I was not dealer friendly. What is left to fix??

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ESC
1,362 Posts
Did you have this vibration before you replaced all these parts ?
If not I would suspect the new halfshaft as the cause.

You could also have a "collapsed" engine mount. I've seen a
collapsed transmission mount cause a major vibration on certain
Mercedes models.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
managr suggested getting second opinion - maybe from dealer. He did not offer to pay for dealer time and I should have but did not ask. Instead I told him I was not dealer friendly. What is left to fix??
I am the dealer - your second opinion - here it is again.

The RH drive axle they put in is bad in one way or another. I know I'm not hands on with this so I can't be 100%. Based on the info here, it seems to be the only option. Have they even considered replacing it again?

The alignment #'s you posted are fine, they won't cause a left drift. But, what about the rear? Did they ever check the rear? Let's leave that alone until the vibration is fixed, one thing at a time right now.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CT: Did not mean to offend. The dealer I was okay with closed-out of business- (Sewell of New Orleans). Remaining dealer (Cadillac of Metairie) not impressed with service during last visit. Rear was adjusted but they did not save the print out. I believe my next step is the CV Halfshaft. Should alignment be done again one I replace halfshaft or only if vibration is gone. Car still has slight drift to left when coasting and pull to left upon acceleration.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CT you are the KING! I change the half shaft and ride seems much better. Took forever - old halfshaft would not come off - few busted knuckles and four letter words 3 hours later finally finished. Took short ride around neighborhood and vibration seems 95% better. Will know more after driving on interstate. Still seemed to drift to left. May let Tire Kingdom look at alignment again since I changed the half shaft.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts