Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My (GM) cross drilled rotors are being installed next week and I wanted to get you guys opinion on something. My car currently has factory rotors that were powder coated by "BrakesRUs" that turned out like crap. I have found another company that does powder coating but don't think I want to spend the money to have it done again ($300.00). My question is this. I'm pretty sure the cross drilled's have either a cadmium or zinc coating on them from the factory. If I were to paint the hats and the fins with some VHT high temp clear do you think they will keep from rusting???? My rotor hats are very noticable with my CCW's so I need to do something. Wht do you think???

Shane

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
35 views and not one response. With all the people that have complained about the hats rusting on there rotors I figured I would a least get one reply.:banghead:

Shane

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have no idea about the long-term results of painting the rotors but I know in my previous car I saw no rust after 2 years. This was actually black paint, not the clear you describe. I would think your method would yield equal, if not better, results b/c they're perfectly clean when new.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I hit my brakes with silver high temp VHT and I havent noticed any rust whatsoever after washing the car. You know that I have CCWs as well and mine were extremely noticeable also. I think the VHT would be the best bet.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Shane,
Mine we're butt :farting: ugly from day one. They always landed rusted side up. Painted mine black to match car, I think it makes the rotors float out from rim and look even bigger.I painted the rotor hats black because it looked like they didn't turn them over when they painted them silver so I had a rust shadow at the 6 o'clock position. It was always where you could see it when you stopped or wanted good pics.

I used VHT # SP-734 Gloss Black Rotor paint, I think I got it from Summit or Jeg’s. I took the rotors off used decal/paint remover (NAPA product) wire brushed them. Took them down to metal. I masked the wear surface because I didn’t want to contaminate the pads. I also painted down the cooling vents for a finished look. I cooked them under my Propane patio heater for about an hour, let them rest overnight before installing. I have almost 1K miles and look great.
http://www.stealthv.com/customers_vs.htm

Update since "my friend" has been to the track a couple times. "He" noticed during the last post track wheel off inspection that the black is "gone" in the outer diameter and fins.

I too was considering the same place to send next set but probably not now. Can you send some pics or further describe what went wrong?

The rust on mine looked like they didn't paint the bottom half at all. The hats have held up well but cooked the outer fins. Nothing like GTP's orange calipers...:duck:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dennisscars,

The company that I talked to about doing them is R&J Distributing. They do a lot of powder coating for the Viper guys on calipers and rotors. From talking to the guys over there they do excellent work. I can get you a phone number if you like. My problem with BrakesRUs was that the coating was to thick and has cracked in many places. I also think it is more of a ceramic coat than powder coat. The only negative about sending the rotors out is that it is expaensive. Shipping on all four can give you a heart attack.

Urby is right about the clear coat. It is a paint but a clear. Our factory rotors come with either a cadmium or zinc coating from GM. What I want to do is clear over that at the hat and the fins to keep the coating from coming off or rusting. I think this will work fine. I don't use any kind of wheel or brake cleaner so I think they should hold up okay. Hope that better explains things.

Shane

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
urbanski said:
i think shane knows all about color painting...he asked about clear coating
Ok, but since I know little or nothing about clear coating, other than I think it will turn yellow or burn off, I post whored (whore'd, whor'ed, who'red, just to be safe from the ' police :crowded:) my experience with black burning off. :D

Where's those kitty posts....:duck:

HEY how come whored doesn't underline and give us a link? I feel cheated...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Dennisscars