Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Rocky315 
#1 ·
Hi again!

Yes, it's that time of year!

I know there have been a few tire threads here, but they often go in all sorts of directions. Therefore, I'd like to just keep this one simple!

I have a CTS with the 16" wheels.
What winter tire sizes do you think are the best?

At this point, I'm not really concerned with the makes of the tires -- just the sizes.

From what I've read on other threads here, these seem to be the best choices:

215/60 R16
225/55 R16
225/50 R16

Is everyone in agreement?

Any one size stand out? Any one that you do not recommend?

Normally, I like to slap on the cheapest Winter tire I can find. I don't drive too much (I work from home), so I don't need $250 super duper winter tires!

I usually head out to Wal Mart and Costco and buy the cheapest one.

I plan on using the shiny 16" wheels in the winter, and buying 17" ones for summer.

So, that's the scoop.

Those three sizes cool?

Any alternatives?
Any you don't recommend?

Thanx again!

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought 225/55R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 tires. I looked at revolutions/mile and this tire almost exactly matches the stock 17" tires that came on my CTS. If you go to Tire Rack on the web, you can get specs that give you the revolutions/mile. It the revs/mile are close, you won't have speedometer error problems. This tire was also rated highly and that's more important to me than straight cost. I haven't run them in the snow yet this year, so I don't have first hand knowledge of how well this tire works yet.

- Mark

#5 ·
All good suggestions. But...

If you do any driving in snow, I'd suggest thinner tires. A 215/50 would be a good size, maybe even a 205/50 if they're made.

Remember, the wider the tire, the more you will float over the snow, then go thru it. They tend to push the snow, instead of drive through the snow. If I were you, I'd get the grippiest thinnest tires you can.

Depends what you drive in? A couple mm's of snow? A couple inches? Lots of ice? Mostly rain?

Be more specific.

#6 ·
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
All good suggestions. But...

If you do any driving in snow, I'd suggest thinner tires. A 215/50 would be a good size, maybe even a 205/50 if they're made.

Remember, the wider the tire, the more you will float over the snow, then go thru it. They tend to push the snow, instead of drive through the snow. If I were you, I'd get the grippiest thinnest tires you can.

Depends what you drive in? A couple mm's of snow? A couple inches? Lots of ice? Mostly rain?
Be more specific.
Yeah Mike has very little in his profile. I live in Ohio and we have a fair amount of snow. I agree with what you said Regal but another consideration is how long the snow is on the roads. I get a bit stupid when it comes to looks over function. I would be embarrassed to have 205s on my CTS. I'd rather get stuck in the snow. I guess you could mount four donut spares on the car. They're narrow and would cut through the snow.:histeric:

If you're the type that worrys then listen to Regal. I did well with mine combined with the snow mode, TC and SST plus snow tires on all four corners...and I still looked cool.:D

#7 ·
I'm with Regal, get the skinniest tires you can. I would also go tall, and even go taller than stock provided there aren't any clearance issues. A car with a long wheelbase like ours needs all the height it can get in the snow. Sure it'll throw your speedo off, but not by that much.

#8 ·
Hey guys,

Very good suggestions...

I do know that thinner is better. A lot of people don't realize it, because intuitively, you would think larger surface area = better.

But then once you explain about the weight distribution, it makes sense. ie. "Imagine a tire as big a steam roller... how would that handle?"!

So I guess I'll opt for the 215's first.

I'm up in Montreal, so there could be lots of snow and ice.

Usually, I'll throw some sandbags in the trunk for weight, but I guess it may not be necessary in the CTS.

I'll start pricing them soon.

And this week, I'll go get my new 17" wheels! :)

Too bad I have to wait 6 months to use them! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.