Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey eveyone, im currently in the market for a new car. Ive always loved the escalade and especially the ext model so here i am a day or 2 away from bringing it home. There is a few things that are really stopping me from pulling the trigger including the obvious - fuel economy or lack there of. The other is the maintenance. I realize this is a 6.2L engine and im gonna be paying for it at the pumps, but as for maint. can anyone give me some ideas on what im looking at replacing in the year or 2 to come. Ive heard a few things about a known suspension issue, ive heard about the brakes being absolutely insane to replace. Ofcourse everyone has alot to say about vehicles they dont own, so im coming right to the source and looking for some answers from you guys. To be quite honest me and my wifre make average money together, we feel we can afford the payments and fuel, we just wanna try to figure out how many "suprises we'll have to look into paying for in the near future. This is a truck with 80,000km (note that im canadian). IVe been also looking to have an escalade shipped up from the U.S if i can find a better deal. The price the dealer is asking in my area is $36,200 ca. which is approx. $37,000 usf. I had him pull the price down from$39,990 so far. Any info you guys may have will be greatly appreciated. Im also gonna do as much research as possible on this site. Thanks in advance. And i hope in a day or so i'll be able to join the cadillac club! Cheers,

Brent

·
Registered
993 Posts
First thing I'd do if I was buying an '07 is a cold start. Listen to piston slap, lifter tick, etc. My truck has the piston slap, and it's getting worse. I have 120,000KM on my '07, and it's been the most reliable truck I've owned. I do 90% highway driving, and the DIC is reading 17.9L/100KM (14MPG US). Gas mileage sucks, but I do drive it hard and have 24's on the truck. Also the winter blend fuel kills your mileage, too. Haven't had an issue with the suspension. Couple of months ago I got all 4 brakes changed (rotors/pad). Ran me about $500, which isn't that bad. You can order drilled or slotted rotors with pads on eBay for $400 which is a killer deal.

Here are some things I'd get checked out:
- Piston slap
- Lifter tick (early Escalades had bad lifters)
- Heated steering/seats
- Exterior/interior door handles (dealer replaced all of mine for free because the chrome was peeling off)
- Auto-ride suspension

If you do purchase the truck, I'm 100% sure you will love it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Punmax
Re: Very Close to buying 2007 ext - help?

First thing I'd do if I was buying an '07 is a cold start. Listen to piston slap, lifter tick, etc. My truck has the piston slap, and it's getting worse. I have 120,000KM on my '07, and it's been the most reliable truck I've owned. I do 90% highway driving, and the DIC is reading 17.9L/100KM (14MPG US). Gas mileage sucks, but I do drive it hard and have 24's on the truck. Also the winter blend fuel kills your mileage, too. Haven't had an issue with the suspension. Couple of months ago I got all 4 brakes changed (rotors/pad). Ran me about $500, which isn't that bad. You can order drilled or slotted rotors with pads on eBay for $400 which is a killer deal.

- Piston slap
- Heated steering/seats
- Exterior/interior door handles (dealer replaced all of mine for free because the chrome was peeling off)
- Auto-ride suspension

Thanks alot for the reply, just wondering what you meant with a few points? is piston slap the knock sound at the cold start? or just how unhealthy it sounds? and the lifter tick ive never heard of that term, could you help explain that? i'll go back to the dealer tommorow to verify whether or not these are issues with this particular truck, and lastly the auto ride suspension... how do i know if this is working properly? I really only know the basics about mechanics so i apologize if these come across as dumb questions. During the test drive today i was driving down a 80km/h road and was averaging 15 and change L/100km. which i thought was really good considering. The one thing that i noticed with the L/100km computer is that the average Liter # was jumping alot before it settled at its average number. My cherokee now has that same computer reading and the average reading is solid and rarely moves. DOes this escalade computer sound like its not working properly? I just thought that because its average, the consumption will move rarely, whereas the instant consumption will bounce around frequently depending on rpm etc. Im positive the dealer will replace anything that needs it before its in my possession. Things i noticed right away were under the hood, the heat guard on the bottom of engine was falling off, and rusty harware on the belt wheels (dont know the name lol) I wasnt impressed that the dealer didnt clean it up under the hood before they put it out on the lot, This lot is a large GM dealership so im confident they will do what they can to make me happy before sale.

again thanks for all the help

·
Registered
2007 ext
2 Posts
Hey, l live in alberta canada and its cold-50 cold. l just bought an 07 ext with 60000 miles. The truck is mint inside and out , absolute 10 . l have had no problems so far , the truck runs tighter then my 2010 duramax which l traded in for the ext. Best trade l ever made. Only thing the truck is missing is a block heater, but even after -40 night l went out and it started like it was plus 20 out. So needless to say after that l have nothing but positive things to say, l'm even averaging 550-600 kms per tank. l'm putting in the gmx550 lockpick to get all that free stuff, volant or injen cold air intake and throttle body spacer for now. So l hope this helps you make a decision, oh ya did l say how sick it drives, not like a truck thats for sure. good luck and cheers.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Punmax
Re: Very Close to buying 2007 ext - help?

- Piston slap
- Heated steering/seats
- Auto-ride suspension

Thanks alot for the reply, just wondering what you meant with a few points? is piston slap the knock sound at the cold start? or just how unhealthy it sounds? and the lifter tick ive never heard of that term, could you help explain that? i'll go back to the dealer tommorow to verify whether or not these are issues with this particular truck, and lastly the auto ride suspension... how do i know if this is working properly? I really only know the basics about mechanics so i apologize if these come across as dumb questions. During the test drive today i was driving down a 80km/h road and was averaging 15 and change L/100km. which i thought was really good considering. The one thing that i noticed with the L/100km computer is that the average Liter # was jumping alot before it settled at its average number. My cherokee now has that same computer reading and the average reading is solid and rarely moves. DOes this escalade computer sound like its not working properly? I just thought that because its average, the consumption will move rarely, whereas the instant consumption will bounce around frequently depending on rpm etc. Im positive the dealer will replace anything that needs it before its in my possession. Things i noticed right away were under the hood, the heat guard on the bottom of engine was falling off, and rusty harware on the belt wheels (dont know the name lol) I wasnt impressed that the dealer didnt clean it up under the hood before they put it out on the lot, This lot is a large GM dealership so im confident they will do what they can to make me happy before sale.

again thanks for all the help
If it has piston slap, you will hear a knocking noise. Start it up, let it idle for 30 seconds or so, and take it for a drive. You should be able to hear a metallic noise/tick if it has piston slap. Mine is very noticeable. Some people claim to have over 300K with piston slap being present in most of those miles. I'm not too worried about it.

I'm not sure if the EXTs come with auto ride or not. If it does have it, turn the key to ON, step outside and listen to the shocks leveling the truck out. It's pretty loud, so you should hear it.

The Tahoe, Yukon, Silverado, etc all have instant fuel economy readout, but the Escalade does not. If you reset it, it should bounce around and then start settling down over time. It's normal!

Edit: Does the EXT have the optional 22 inch wheels? If it does have them, inspect all four wheels. They are known to rust, and some eventually start losing air. And also, some of the early builds had wind noise coming from the driver or passenger door. I know it affected the base and ESV models, but not too sure on the EXT. Might want to check that out as well. GM is aware of both of these problems.

Videos:

I took this two videos of my Escalade which does have the slap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o88urey-UDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4HcGcGzh7U

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hey, l live in alberta canada and its cold-50 cold. l just bought an 07 ext with 60000 miles. The truck is mint inside and out , absolute 10 . l have had no problems so far , the truck runs tighter then my 2010 duramax which l traded in for the ext. Best trade l ever made. Only thing the truck is missing is a block heater, but even after -40 night l went out and it started like it was plus 20 out. So needless to say after that l have nothing but positive things to say, l'm even averaging 550-600 kms per tank. l'm putting in the gmx550 lockpick to get all that free stuff, volant or injen cold air intake and throttle body spacer for now. So l hope this helps you make a decision, oh ya did l say how sick it drives, not like a truck thats for sure. good luck and cheers.
That throttle body spacer won't do anything to your power or fuel economy. It will MAYBE help power out if you installed it on a 1990 Civic. Don't waste your money on it. These engines are now highly advanced. If you did have any gains from the spacer, I'm sure GM would have installed them from the factory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im from ottawa area of ontario, it gets real cold up here at times (-40C). I'll see how much knock this truck has tommorow, its looking like im going to buy, how do you guys feel about the price. $39,000 approx tax included. (canadian funds) I think its rediculous that a truck of this quality doesnt have a block heater, I use my block heater nightly in the winter months on my grand cherokee now.

For the person who asked about the 22" wheel option, this model does have the 22's. Ill make sure i inspect them to see if they are peeling or not, i know i have a real problem with my exsisting trucks chrome peeling like crazy, its a huge annoyance.

As for the sucking noise, what speed should i be travelling to hear that? is there actual wind coming through to vehicle into the cab or is it just kind of a whistling, either way, that doesnt sound right. Can I ask this gm dealer to fix that before sale or will they brush me off and tell me its nothing lol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That throttle body spacer won't do anything to your power or fuel economy. It will MAYBE help power out if you installed it on a 1990 Civic. Don't waste your money on it. These engines are now highly advanced. If you did have any gains from the spacer, I'm sure GM would have installed them from the factory.
what exactly is this throttle body spacer you guys are talking about? whats it do?

·
Registered
Escalade
98 Posts
I'm in Sudbury, all the 22's peel. my 07 has 45 000km and they are peeling on the bead between the tire and rim and the lose air all the time and need to bring them in to get cleaned up all the time. everybody thinks because it's a caddy that the quality it top of the line, well "suprise" it's still a tahoe, avalanche with a couple more options...

·
Registered
993 Posts
im from ottawa area of ontario, it gets real cold up here at times (-40C). I'll see how much knock this truck has tommorow, its looking like im going to buy, how do you guys feel about the price. $39,000 approx tax included. (canadian funds) I think its rediculous that a truck of this quality doesnt have a block heater, I use my block heater nightly in the winter months on my grand cherokee now.

For the person who asked about the 22" wheel option, this model does have the 22's. Ill make sure i inspect them to see if they are peeling or not, i know i have a real problem with my exsisting trucks chrome peeling like crazy, its a huge annoyance.

As for the sucking noise, what speed should i be travelling to hear that? is there actual wind coming through to vehicle into the cab or is it just kind of a whistling, either way, that doesnt sound right. Can I ask this gm dealer to fix that before sale or will they brush me off and tell me its nothing lol.
Block heater was an option I believe. Very weird considering the temperatures you guys get there, and it was ordered without the block heater.

As for the wind noise, you should start hearing it around 80KMH+. There is no wind coming into the cab.

As for the price, I think you can do better. A friend picked up his '07 two years ago with 50,000KM for $39K (private).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Block heater was an option I believe. Very weird considering the temperatures you guys get there, and it was ordered without the block heater.

As for the wind noise, you should start hearing it around 80KMH+. There is no wind coming into the cab.

As for the price, I think you can do better. A friend picked up his '07 two years ago with 50,000KM for $39K (private).
It is really weird about the block heater, but with this truck, ill definately park it in the garage so im not too worried about it...for the first couple winters atleast. I thought it was a bit high myself, im still trying to work him down, like i said, he started at 39,990 and hes down to 36,200. The only thing is there isnt alot of these around north of the border. They seem to sell like crazy down south but im not sure i trust getting a company to pick it up, who knows what they have been through and accidents etc. The good thing about this is it was bought at the same dealer im shopping at and traded in for the 2011 esv. The previous owner was a women. (i have more faith that women dont beat up vehicles) and ive looked at all the service records and all the records were ofcourse done at the gm dealer and not bobs backyard garage. New breaks, tires, the wind problem was fixed (or atleast the records say it was serviced for that problem) Oil changes all done there etc. Im also told that the cadillac mechanic at this particular dealership is a god in his field...but who knows if thats bullshit or not. Taxes in + admin fees im looking at 41k total, I offered 38K taxes in and he wouldnt go for it, now it seems were entering the nickel and diming stage. I dont know how much the taxes are south of the border, but were at 13% of total purchase price so although 36,200 sounds decent, it starts to get ugly after taxes are put on it and dont mention the extended warranty, which im not sure i want or not. It has power train warranty until end of 2012. Im not worried about the power train tho, id love to have another year of bumper to bumper lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts