Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 deville
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IN my 92 deville, I went on a 250 mile road trip,:yup::D mostly highway driving. I achieved an average of 25.4 MPG I had the cruise set on a constant 60 mph. I think this is pretty decent considering that the car is a full sized and has a 4.9 ltr V-8 engine.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
IN my 92 deville, I went on a 250 mile road trip,:yup::D mostly highway driving. I achieved an average of 25.4 MPG I had the cruise set on a constant 60 mph. I think this is pretty decent considering that the car is a full sized and has a 4.9 ltr V-8 engine.
Not bad at all. Best I've gotten in my 1991 Brougham was 22.5mpg on a road trip, just me in the car. I'm sure it would've done better if I didn't drive 85-90mph the whole way.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I see 4 cylinder econo-boxes advertised on tv getting 32 mpg like it's some accomplishment or something. If I have to give up comfort for economy I would expect at least 40 mpg. I'm surprised how many motorcycles only get in the 20's for mpg. These big comfortable cars are pretty darn efficient.

·
Registered
1995 DeVille 4.9
44 Posts
I almost made a mistake the other day and let a used car salesman (one of those special fleet sales events) talk me into buying a 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser. They are nice vehicles, but he got very unhappy with me when I said no and he kept saying that I was giving up 33-35mpg for a gas guzzler. I looked it up, the PT doesn't do all that well, really.
25mpg AND comfort.....what more do you need.....:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,030 Posts
Drive a PT Cruiser for a while: An accident waiting for a place to happen. Talk about an unstable, poorly-handling vehicle !

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Drive a PT Cruiser for a while: An accident waiting for a place to happen. Talk about an unstable, poorly-handling vehicle !
Yep. Had a black 2006 PT. Looked nice, but turn a corner at the bottom of a hill, and it was right on the edge of control. Needed a full set of front end bushings at 59k. Gas mileage sucks too (for the size).

·
Registered
1993 DeVille
46 Posts
I have a 93 SDV. How accurate is the MPG gauge? I just took a 400 mile round trip and the display said 27.4 avg MPG there and 25.6 back. I haven't calculated the MPG the proper way of miles divided by gallons so that may not be really accurate.

Like posted above, who would have thought these big cars could be so fuel efficient. even if the mileage isn't 27 MPG.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,030 Posts
Long-term average is extremely accurate -

The actual figure will creep up on long, steady highway runs and will creep down during slower or stop & go driving.

For grins and kicks, the next time you are headed on a highway trip, fill up and reset the long-term figure at the gas station. Hit the highway and watch the mileage begin to step up from 0 mpg to some relatively steady figure - over, say, 5 gallons of gas at highway speeds. THAT will be your absolute maximum attainable road mileage. At the end of that trip leg, in town, fill up and reset again, and watch the mileage during town driving :eek:. Now head back home - fill up but don't reset the mileage average - get on the highway and drive. The mileage will step up, but it will never reach the first highway figure because it's diminished by the town driving gas consumption. At the end of this final leg you'll have a decent idea of all-condition long-term fuel mileage.

Remember that highway mileage is affected by load, speed, tire pressures, ambient air temps and wind speeds.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I have a 2006 DTS with 85,000 miles.
I keep a close watch on the mileage, and on trips I usually get between 21.5 and 23.5
I drive a lot in the western half of the country, so a large part of the time..the speed is between 80 and 90.

Thats pretty darn good mileage for those speeds. :)

Texas Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts