Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day. :eek: I am still thrown back by how well this car did with the stock suspension and tires. I didn't expect for me to lap so many in my intermediate(yellow) group. For being my first time in this car at the track, I really think I did well. Mostly because of the feedback I was getting from the others on the track. They were impressed seeing this car maneuver so well. The only drivers with better talent that passed me were an STI, C6 Z06, C5 Z06, and some Porsche Turbo. Other than that, all the M5's, M3's, other Porsche's, STI's, and whatever else was on the track stayed behind or got lapped.
I need to share a little something about the C6 Z06, IT'S A MONSTER! That thing handled on rails. Coming around the last turn before a long straight, turn 15 to be exact, he came around from behind. He most likely had more speed coming out of the turn but, once we got on the straight, we went full throttle from the beginning of the straight. He caught up to me and slowly went by me. It was like baby steps instead of walking me. At 3/4 down the straight, I let go and he had a car length on me. Remember guys, I have a surpercharger. So knowing I have possibly 1500 more pounds of weight on the car, and he most likely carried a few more mph around the last turn, it was a good run. Side to side on the freeway, It'd be a good match up.
I already know what my next mods are, swaybars and R compound tires.
Here are some pics of Velose chasing the game....

Here is the link to the album. Enjoy.... http://public.fotki.com/Spidee/thunderhill_raceway-1/page2.html

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
Excellent job! Wish I was there. Scheduling prevented that happening.

Hotchkis or Eibach on the sways? Are you going to get the FG2 shocks, too? I got mine. Haven't had a chance to drive them in anger yet, but I can tell they make a difference by the feel in regular driving.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
calicadi said:
Excellent job! Wish I was there. Scheduling prevented that happening.

Hotchkis or Eibach on the sways? Are you going to get the FG2 shocks, too? I got mine. Haven't had a chance to drive them in anger yet, but I can tell they make a difference by the feel in regular driving.
I'm leaning towards Hotchkis. If I do any suspension upgrade, I'll fork out the cash for the Mallet/Penske Coils. Unless some other reputable company produces a set. Therefore, I won't go with FG2's right now. If they weren't nivomat's in back, maybe I'd pick them up and pair them to the eibach springs.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right guys. I had a crazy unstoppable grin at the track. When you guys get the chance to go out, have all these guys wondering what the hell that whine was on the track, you'll enjoy their expressions when you tell them the V has Brembo calipers, LS6 motor, supercharged, and G guage that says you are pulling 1.23 left and 1.28 right. :D

I can't wait to get out there again with a few more mods.

One other thing, what's even more impressive, is that I drove 2 hours to the track, ran the car hard for 80 minutes, and drove it back home for 2 more hours. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats.Thunderhill raceway is a great track.I've been there to do photography work with motorcycles there.I also ride dirtbikes about 1 hour into the mountains near Clear Lake.

Great pics!

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm feeling guilty here........:eek: I wish I can take the credit for the pics. There was a company, www.gotbluemilk.com, out there taking pics of us. It's kind of distracting sometimes. I can be coming to a turn and see them taking pictures. Obviously my first instinct is trying to pose with the car but then I realize I need to focus or I'll run his arse over.

Flyboy, I don't know if you've been on a track day but if you haven't, you'll find some unknown respect for our V's. Post up some pics when you go next year. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
what group were you running with? I may do a private track day in my V in Dec at THill. I have been doing track driving for almost 10 years now but this would be my first outing in the V. It has 2K miles on the clock so far. I took my Z06 up there before I even got the plates from the DMV :) Glad to hear the car was a pleasure to drive on that track - I'd rather run at LSIR, which is also much closer to home. But THill is a fun track, and the brembos would be much appreciated there.

One question - did you flush the brake fluid with Motul or ATE or something, or leave it stock?

My V is 100% bone stock, but with any luck would have the UUC from the group purchase in before the event.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
c4racer said:
what group were you running with? I may do a private track day in my V in Dec at THill. I have been doing track driving for almost 10 years now but this would be my first outing in the V. It has 2K miles on the clock so far. I took my Z06 up there before I even got the plates from the DMV :) Glad to hear the car was a pleasure to drive on that track - I'd rather run at LSIR, which is also much closer to home. But THill is a fun track, and the brembos would be much appreciated there.

One question - did you flush the brake fluid with Motul or ATE or something, or leave it stock?

My V is 100% bone stock, but with any luck would have the UUC from the group purchase in before the event.
The group I went with is www.unlimitedlaps.com.

I didn't flush the brake fluid. I will soon though. I will go with Motul. I wanted to go out there as stock as possible. Now that I've had the chance to do so stock, I know what changes need to be made. The question now is, do I want to make the changes and make this car my pleasure vehicle/track toy twice a year or, do I want it to be a designated street car and get a C5 Z06 for track only work? Hmm.....

Whatever I decide, this car definitely has it's merits on the track. Cadillac obviously designed the suspension to work for daily driving use and the occasional track day. So leaving it alone is not a bad choice either.

Anyhow, you'll have a great time pushing around 4000lbs. Stabilitrak is your FRIEND. ;)

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Velose,
Right on, glad you had a great time! Great pics.

I'll tell you about Buttonwillow after I get the trailer unloaded. I'm beat.. ran 4 times yesterday and 4 today.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice Dennis. :thumbsup:

Like promised......a video......and it's short. Also, I wish you could hear the car more but something is better than nothing. Thanks to my buddy Tim for taking care of it. Also, you might need to register on this site to view it. By the way, the Porsche GT3 did get passed. :D

http://www.my5minutes.com/displaymedia.php?pos=-28431

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I sold the Z06 to get the V. I only tracked the Z twice. It was an amazing track animal that made my C4 dedicated race car seem slow... But what I am wondering is, would the V actually satisfy my track desires say 4-5 times / year? If so, perhaps it is not worth keeping the C4 track car + full sized SUV to tow it. I had thoughts of competing with the C4, but the lack of classes to run it and the sheer expense of trying to compete at the SCCA-ITE level is beyond me at the moment. So trying to do some soul searching and determine if I really do need to scratch the itch to go W2W racing in a competitive series like NASA CMC, or can I be happy with DE's. And if the later, do I really need a dedicated track car? I like the safety and the security of the roll cage and the race seat and harnesses for sure, and there is less worry of messing up my nice street car, so even w/o racing there is something to be said for owning a dedicated track car.... But I need to decide for myself if all the expense and work is worth it for half a dozen days / year at most.... :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts