Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'97 DeVille Sold --- '08 DTS Gold Mist -> '09 DTS Blue Diamond
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried posting this "in" another thread without any input. There has to be a Locksmith or Mechanic on here??

I bought a 2006 DTS for parts to repair my 2008. I got it without the key. I have seen videos on YouTube about how to program the keys with a 30 min on off cycle. My question is; can I use ANY Cadillac key and RE-program it or does it have to be one that has NEVER been programmed? Thanks!

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,146 Posts
I'm trying to understand what you are asking. A used key would not fit the ignition on your DTS. You need a blank key with the proper chip in it then have it cut to fit your DTS. The dealer using the vin can cut the key and program it for you. I believe some locksmiths can also.

·
Registered
'97 DeVille Sold --- '08 DTS Gold Mist -> '09 DTS Blue Diamond
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Omac,

Thanks for replying, I bought this 2006 mainly for the body parts to repair my 2008. The previous owner gave me no keys but had it towed to my place. I know a Stealer could program a key at a premium price If I have it towed there, makes no sense though it being a Junker. I have watched videos on YouTube on how to “self program” a key. I have the ignition “popped” so I can turn it with any key. I have tried to use one of my keys and do a reprogram. With no success. There are replacement tumblers that can be bought, but I would still have to have the key programmed. Before I purchase one I want to exhaust any cheaper options.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,070 Posts
You'll likely get plenty of other replies on this issue. A good auto locksmith may be able to help. Keep in mind that the keys and fobs are not programmable; the car is. So you must teach the car to recognize your key, not the other way around.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,146 Posts
I know you can program the key yourself but thats with a already programed key in the ignition Then additional keys are easily programed. I know that some higher end scan tools can program a key. So basically any cadillac key that will work for the year DTS can be programed. Locksmiths are not cheap but are cheaper than the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts