Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was cruising down the highway at 120 km/h, a car was speeding behind me so I wanted to get out of his way and i tried accelerating to 140 km/h to switch lanes comfortably, so to my surprise the rev stopped at a certain point and a message popped up saying "Vehicle limited to 137 km/h" So i thought it was just the cruise control acting up or something, so I turned it off... but the limit was still there, no check engine lights whatsoever. At a traffic light I decided to switch off the engine then turn it on again, I tried hitting 140, its still limited to 137 :eek: ... Help!! I dunno whats going on.. If there was an option that limits our speed like mercedes cars do, it isn't in the manual under cruise options. Whats happening?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...
381 Posts
i was cruising down the highway at 120 km/h, a car was speeding behind me so I wanted to get out of his way and i tried accelerating to 140 km/h to switch lanes comfortably, so to my surprise the rev stopped at a certain point and a message popped up saying "Vehicle limited to 137 km/h" So i thought it was just the cruise control acting up or something, so I turned it off... but the limit was still there, no check engine lights whatsoever. At a traffic light I decided to switch off the engine then turn it on again, I tried hitting 140, its still limited to 137 :eek: ... Help!! I dunno whats going on.. If there was an option that limits our speed like mercedes cars do, it isn't in the manual under cruise options. Whats happening?
That's only 85mph! There is something wrong....

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you were dreaming, my V in Wyoming was well over that for miles and miles.....

sure you were not in a VW ??

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, I've hit 300 km/h with this very car. I ALWAYS go up to 140-180km/h on a daily basis. when I was going back home from a friend's place today it just said it in the middle screen. At first I thought it said "Cruise control limit set to 137 km/h" so I ignored it but then I realized the RPMs limited me from accelerating anymore, It would just switch gears when I step on it but would stay at 137.. Trust me its an 09 CTS-V and I was screaming "WTF" when it refused to twist that speedometer crazy-fast like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
239 Posts
You weren't by chance in an Automatic, with the shifter in Manual mode, and the car stuck in 3rd gear?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You weren't by chance in an Automatic, with the shifter in Manual mode, and the car stuck in 3rd gear?
I'm sure I wasn't, I was intentionally shifting gears to make sure it wasn't the gear being stuck on 3rd or something. Only thing out of the ordinary was that pesky note on the screen.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, Just took it for a quick spin and everything seems to be working just fine. But I'm still curious as to what could have started this? Is it like how mercs have both cruise control where you can choose a constant speed and a max speed where you set what your maximum speed should reach on the road? Nothing about it in the cruise control section of the manual.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
All temps (oil, trans, diff) and oil pressure look okay when it happened? Was the car already warmed up?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All temps (oil, trans, diff) and oil pressure look okay when it happened? Was the car already warmed up?
Everything was the way it should be, Had the car running with remote start for 5-7 minutes before I hopped in. All the variables involved were normal and no warning lights or notifications whatsoever which makes me believe its not an actual problem but a feature I stumbled upon and wasn't aware of :bonkers: Maybe wait4me has an answer since he already knows the car inside out.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Weird. Seems too high for a limp-home mode, but could that be what it is? Others have reported a diff temp warning, but not sure if vehicle speed was enforced or not. Plus, they were given the reason for the warning...

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
i was cruising down the highway at 120 km/h, a car was speeding behind me so I wanted to get out of his way and i tried accelerating to 140 km/h to switch lanes comfortably, Whats happening?
Your car was giving you a message. You probably got one of those "special ones" off the line. Being the fastest production sedan ever, it probably wanted to lead the way. It was trying to nip that "get out of his way attitude" in the bud! You'd better listen or else. What song was the radio playing???

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Yes i can remove ANYTHING.

However, from the factory, the ecm isnt in charge of the speed limit. The abs and BCM is. However, that is an easy fix to put the ecm in charge. I do that with all the tunes.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...
381 Posts
Maybe you got the first 2010 model?? :histeric:

At the first sign of fun, fuel management kicked in....:nono:

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Yes i can remove ANYTHING.

However, from the factory, the ecm isnt in charge of the speed limit. The abs and BCM is. However, that is an easy fix to put the ecm in charge. I do that with all the tunes.
What does it mean, "abs" and "BCM?"

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Abs Brake control. Anti lock braking system.
BCM body control module.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Maybe you got the first 2010 model?? :histeric:

At the first sign of fun, fuel management kicked in....:nono:
Not to poke fun at the expense of the OP.....but that was funny. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts