Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys... this is on a 99 Eldorado ETC that was purchased at an LA dealer auction. It has approximately 105k mi on it. Originally, it had a possible loose gas cap warning on the instrument cluster. Then I noticed the jerking from a stop sign, and the traction + ABS lights came on together (as I recall), then went away after I restarted the car. Next, I drove it, thinking it had gas, only to discover that it didn't, which led to the fuel pump burning out. I coasted the vehicle down a hill on the freeway until I got near my house, that probably wasn't a good idea. Before finally deciding the fuel pump was toast, I sprayed the throttle body with carb cleaner, and pulled the MAF sensor for a cleaning. I discovered a hairline crack on the airlflow meter, slightly to the left of where the connector plugs into it. I had an Autozone manager who works on cars on the side replace the old fuel pump with an Ebay part from China (like everything else), including a sending unit (all in one). After I got the car back from Autozone dude, I noticed that it jerked and missed. It has been driven enough to go through all system monitors and it isn't throwing any codes. The vehicle will jerk at low speeds between 1st and second gear, also, if I give the vehicle a tiny bit of gas while it's coasting at 45-55 or so, it'll buck pretty violently. If I give it gas at 60-65 or over, it accelerates like a normal Northstar. With the AC on, going up inclines, the blower motor weakens by at least 35%. The check fuel cap warning has gone away, I now keep at least a half tank of super unleaded in the vehicle. So what would you guys say the problem(s) might be? Oh, lastly, I noticed the transmission fluid level was low. To me, it feels like a vacuum leak. I already replaced the fuel filter, but not the air filter, haven't looked at the plugs, the wires look worn out. Also, the exhaust smells rich... So where would you guys look for a leak with these symptoms? Thanks for any and all feedback. :)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Given the description it sounds like a general thorough engine cleaning and tuneup is in order, including new plugs (AC Delco #41-950), new wires (Rock Auto, the expensive AC Delco set), coil removal and ICM/coil cleaning (including ICM ground wire cleaning), FPR check, air filter check (any Fram, delco, WIX, Purolator, PartsMaster unit), TB cleaning.

Transmission fluid - check hot only, engine idling in P on level ground. There will be NO fluid on the dipstick with the engine off - normal. It's a dry sump transmission - with the engine running most of the fluid is pumped up into the upper side tank and THAT's when you measure proper level. Yes, you will see some bubbles. Normal.

Use this to make double damn sure the plugs, coils and wires are connected correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ecs, it doesn't have a CEL.. I'll check the vehicle's internal diagnostics. Sub, thank you for the detailed post. I checked the trans fluid at operating temp on a leveled surface. So vacuum leak is out of the question? Again, it wasn't doing this before the fuel pump was replaced, except for the traction control light and abs light coming on that one time. I will definitely check everything you mentioned, thanks again.

·
Administrator
68,504 Posts
Fuel pump module, 1999 Eldorado. Tank drop necessary ??? If so, there's a possibility that the EVAP fuel tank vent line and/or solenoid have been left disconnected.

A fault in the EVAP can cause a nasty manifold vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sub, i bet you the mechanic screwed up, of course he won't admit it or have the decency to fix it for free.. i'll drop the tank again lol .. he claims he had to drop the tank. does anyone have instructions on how to drop the tank and check the fuel pump ? thanks

·
Administrator
68,504 Posts
If you can get the car up on a 4-point hoist (use the 4" extenders on the lift pads so you don't squish the rocker/fender panels) you might be able to get touchy-feely lucky. On your car I think the EVAP canister and some of the purge/vacuum/vent lines are sort of under the rear seat driver's side passenger's butt.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i looked at the straps one time, they're not even aligned correctly..this guy is a wanna-be mechanic clown, he begged for the work .. so i can actually slide some of these hoses on by feel? I have a floor jack and jack stands.. and a couple of those little ramps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts