Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will using a resistor to bypass the VATS completely disable the factory alarm, or only allow the car to be started without a pellet key?

I ask because about a month ago I had an alarm installed; it has been working perfectly up until yesterday. I armed the system, and the factory alarm started honking. When i disable my aftermarket alarm, the factory alarm would stop.

the only way i could arm the system without the horn honking was to arm it, then use the key to unlock the doors from outside, disabling the factory system. Of course, now my alarm was armed, but the doors were unlocked.

By coincidence, when this started happening, i noticed that dinger in the car would sound with the key in the off position, even though the door was closed. that's the first time it's done that. I sprayed some brake cleaner in the ignition cylinder and worked it around a bit thinking maybe the contacts were bad.

This morning the ignition cylinder seems to be working fine. It only dings with the key in the off position if the door is open. I haven't fully tested the alarm today, so my alarm is armed with the doors unlocked all day. I didn't want to take the chance of my horn going off all day long while i'm at work.

That's why i want to find a way to completely bypass the Theft-Deterrent System. I want to find a way to completely bypass it so it never arms, removing the chance that the horn will start honking out of the blue.

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
There is a wire that is connected to your lock mechanism in the drivers door that deactivates the factory alarm when you turn the key to the unlock position. You will have to use/find a wire from the output of your alarm that throws a ground when you disarm the aftermarket alarm. There are usually left over circuits on the installed alarm that will throw a ground when disarmed. I am going to have to guess what year your car is but more than likely it has a 3 wire positive trigger door relay system that is usually above the throttle on the firewall. Or a five wire positive system, just depends. Your aftermarket alarm, will usually have a negative trigger (usually used for foreign cars) left disconnected. You can use this trigger to attach to the wire in the door. You can find the wire in the door jam or driver side kickpanel by trial and error by having someone simply turn the key back and forth until you locate it. Hook the negative trigger from the installed/aftermarket alarm and you will be set. this way, both of you alarms will be working the car. Worst case, you can't find a negative output (which you should) you can use the 12+ output to your siren wire (aftermarket alarm) and use a relay to change it over from 12v to ground,(just tap into it before it gets to the siren) so once you disable the installed alarm it will send the "chirp" to the siren and the ground to the door sensor wire.. damn.. my hands are tired now... im out.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: VATS disable

Thanks, but I found what the problem was. I realized this was only happening when it was raining hard out. Some water was getting past the door seal and trickling into the the door sensor, causing a ground even when the door was closed. That's why it kept dinging with the key in the ignition with the door closed (and ignition off), and also set off the factory alarm as soon as i locked the doors (via the aftermarket alarm). I gooped a generous amount of grease around the rubber boot on the door trigger, no more problems since.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Shane.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts