Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If anyone has used it recently, keep in mind that he/she might not be able to answer your question for 5 to 10 years--or until engine failure. Then again, oil might be great, and engine might not fail.

Not sure what kind of answer you are looking for.

On the CTS, GM requires a certain certified oil (number). Check your owners' manual vs the numbers on the back of the valvoline container.

GM likes Mobile 1 and recommends it specifically. Why disregard their recommendation?

·
Registered
NONE - was 2006 CTS. Now 2012 4LT Centennial GS Corvette
388 Posts
Is it good? Check the certification on the label and see if it meets the GM specification for our cars. As long as it does, use it without a second thought.

Valvoline advertises it's better than Mobil 1. I believe Valvoline is good oil and yes, I've used the Valvoline synthetic and had no issues with it. The only way to really tell how good an oil is is to use it and get an oil analysis done on it periodically. As long as you are using full synthetic, change the oil by the oil life monitor's recommendations, or at one year, whichever is first, and you should be fine. I used to change my oil every 3000 miles until I started researching a little bit. I'm comfortable with the huge advances made in both manufacturing quality - engine tolerances are much tigher today - and oil quality.

So will the flame wars start like on so many other forums when these types of questions are asked and opinions are given?

·
Registered
2005 CTS Raven Black 3.6 Luxury/Sport Loaded
68 Posts
My Cadillac Dealer uses Valvoline Synthetic Oil. Said they were giving an OK on using it or Mobil 1

·
Registered
05 CTS SPORT/LUXURY PACKAGE
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How come valvoline syn. Oil is cheaper than mobil 1? IM TALKING REAL CHEAP LIKE 3 DOLLARS CHEAPER

1 - 6 of 6 Posts