Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hit the gas hard in first gear and early in second, I hear what I used to know as a tappet knock. Its not a cylinder knock, but valve or tappets or whatever is in there these days.... (i grew up with a 1966 GTO so that is where my technology curve ends).

Does anyone else have this noise when they hit it? Hit it hard? I have sometimes that I can hit it and the only noise is the sucking sound of the air intake, but about half the time its almost like there is a shortage of oil in the top of the heads during that time.

An SC 430 wanted to show his stuff when he heard by B&B exhaust and found that by the time I was going north of 4,000 in second that he was finished..... but I heard that noise when I did it.

Thoughts? Ideas? ...car is full of oil, its clean, just changed it.... so its not lack of oil due to quantity or cleanliness.

Interested in hearing anyone's thoughts.

thank you

livingthedream
turn the key and smile

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,986 Posts
How many miles you got?

Ever over rev the motor?

(btw, I had a '64 GTO, tri-power, 4-spd ... quick, but not V quick :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mileage is just about 24K. I have over revved once since the car was new and she cut off, until I was back below the red line and she came back on. No issues since, and that was at about 10K.

I dont get to stretch her out much on long hauls. Just took her to Vegas (for the great Aunts 100'th birthday) and she did very well in the 107 temperatures.... got a check engine light... on star reset for me and said it was a fuel problem.

On the way home no issues other than tires were getting too high in the PSI so I had to let em out some, GSD3's and had one bump up to 42 and set off an alarm.

But most of my driving is short trips, 15 miles or less and sometimes the car sits for two weeks as I travel out of town. ....if she had wings I would only fly the VLine instead of an airline, but I have not see a mod for wings on this forum yet....

livingthedream
turn the key and smile.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,042 Posts
In my experience, hearing the noise you describe under a load is usually detonation.

You'd hear an exhaust leak at idle as well as a bad lifter or normal injector noise.

I'd get it checked just to be safe.

·
Registered
09' V
404 Posts
I have to comment on this since i had some noise 2 weeks ago. I hit the rev limiter racing a m5 and blew a header gasket. No noise at idle but when i reved it it ticked and chirped. I have kooks and used perceys gaskets. (they suck, both sides were melted and shot.) I put the stock gaskets on and noo problems now. So to the comment about the exhaust leak at idle, i have to disagree. I though mine was a lifter, bent pushrod, rocker,......tore down the one side and found nothing wrong. Then took the header off and BINGO!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts