Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, while doing the first oil change on since I bought my 92 Seville with the 4.9 engine, something fell off with the oil filter. It looks like a kind of non-return valve, which is badly bent. Where does this come from?

Regards, Joel

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,891 Posts
That looks like either the anti-drainback or media bypass valve from inside the oil filter and is one reason some of us do not like Fram oil filters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! So this goes to the waste too. A new Denso will take the place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the oil change is DONE! The drain bolt was kinda stripped maybe because the last dude who did the job did not have a 15mm socket but I managed to remove it and put it back in place.

Well I will try WIX for the next order, as I already put two Denso in my last Rockauto order.
This site's international shipping really saves my life, making an exotic vehicle's maintenance a breeze. Just keep an eye on consolidating shipping from one warehouse, plan ahead on what to order and Voilà! My (For now in vacation) father who was a professional car mechanic and me have already replaced the rear struts, rear brakes, front ball joints, rebalanced the wheels, changed the MAP sensor, solved loose ground issue on it. Now this 500$ car is almost perfect. Still need to get the AC charged with R12 though.
(I don't know, I feel the "fill gas" - "get leaks" - "have to replace gaskets/compressor" - "fill gas" - etc pattern coming... )

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,891 Posts
You're way ahead of other Euro/Asia Cadillac owners in that you have family repair experience. Good to know that RockAuto is a good overseas shipping source - many CF members use them for parts.

The 4.9 is a robust engine. Take care of it and it will take care of you. BUT - any 29 year old vehicle will need care and feeding.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,242 Posts
The drain bolt was kinda stripped maybe because the last dude who did the job did not have a 15mm socket but I managed to remove it and put it back in place.
I assume (hope) you meant rounded the head rather than stripped the threads.
I'd replace that drain plug. It's only gonna get worst and cause you bigger headaches down the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, sorry, rounded!
I already put one on my buy list. The thread is all right, was pleased to see that it has a magnet on it. Nice design touch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts