Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 CTS - Owned since new, but this is this first year that the car has not been garage kept. Because of that, I encontered the dreaded PCV problem with freezing and leaking in the valve cover gaskets.

I ordered and replaced the new design for the PCV system. The oil leakage has improved 90%, but...I want to try to completely eliminate the leakage without trying to replace the valve cover gaskets first. My CTS is in my sister's garage about 75 miles away, and I have not driven it no more than 100 miles since the repair. a couple of months ago.

I read a reply on here that a few have gotten by with just re-tightening the covers. My question is two-fold - How hard are the valve cover bolts to get to, and aren't they 8-point?

If I can get the answers to these questions, it would save me a lot of time and hassle being so far away. I saw pics in a thread here concerning replacing the spark plugs, and it looked as though the valve cover bolts were either of a star design or 8-point. If so, what size?

I know that I am being somewhat lazy, but being so far away from the car right now I would like to have everything when I get there to work on it. I searched and could not find exactly the size and types of the heads of the bolts, and if they were fairly easy to get to.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

HCII

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
You have a little work to get at the valve cover bolts, and there is that black soft cover that you have to remove. I can't remember the size of the Torx that you need. When I got this car I purchased a set of Torx sockets and Torx bits(pretty cheap at Harbor tools) and I always seem to have what I need using those sets.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
buy a wrench too, a couple of the bolts aren't easily accessable with a socket without removing the intake, but a wrench will get there. i can't remember the size either but i believe it's the same size as 8mm (whatever that is in torx) if it's not 8mm then it's 10mm. a metric set will work to get them tight enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts