Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX 3.6 V6
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slow oil leak that's been diagnosed as valve cover gaskets which need replaced. I bought the gaskets, assuming it wouldn't be the most difficult repair in the world, but I'm not a mechanic. I'm having a difficult time finding instructions on how to replace the valve cover gaskets.

The only decent instructional video I can find shows that you have to remove the entire engine. However, my local mechanic said it's about a 4-5 hour job, which I don't think would be enough time to remove the engine.

So, how do I replace these valve cover gaskets? Does the engine really need removed? To be quite honest, I don't even know where the valve cover gaskets are on this car.

Any help / instructions are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Not too difficult after you remove the intake manifold. For PDFs of the procedure from the SM, PM me your email.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
931 Posts
glake89 has not been on this forum since Feb 2018. He acquired another, non-srx vehicle. You may try sending him a private message. I think if you hover over his name and click start a conversation should start the process.
I replaced the pass. side valve cover gasket a few years ago since I had the intake manifold off to replace spark plugs If your plugs are nearing 100000 mi. it might be a good time to change them also if you have the manifold off.
Not the worse job but many things have to be unplugged
You may try just retorquing the valve cover hold down fasteners. Perhaps your mechanic could advise if this would be likely to stop or slow the leak. I'm recalling from memory that all are accessible without removing too much.
It's not a good idea to post email addresses on forums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts