Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

It's been a while since I've posted. Work has been crazy, and haven't had much time for hobbies, but I've found some extra time lately, and I also found an ACC Radar for a nice price, which brings up this question...

I know that it's not advised to play with the high speed network, as it's crucial to the car running and working correctly. I'm aware that the EBCM, TCM, and ECM are one this network, and I know that screwing something up with it could cause serious issues. With that being said, i'm willing to take the risk, as the wiring isn't anything I haven't dealt with in my career.

My question comes in the form of programming. If i get the HUD, and ACC module, I know i'll have to at the very least get the IPM reprogrammed to allow me to control cruise settings, and to allow the HUD to display the correct information. I'm also aware the EBCM, TCM, and ECM MAY have to be reprogrammed, as the EBCM will have to handle braking requests from the ACC module, and the ECM will be getting throttle requests from it as well, and the TCM receives downshift requests from the ACC module.

This is where my understanding stops being so crystal clear... I'm aware that to reprogram this change, my local dealer (that is willing to try, for a hefty fee) will have to get a VCI number from GM. From what I understand, GM will not issue a VCI for an invalid configuration (Such as the 5 speed transmission attached to the Northstar.) From what I can find, if the equipment combination is authorized by GM (such as a dealer added item, like larger wheels or a different differential) it can be added through a VCI, which GM will provide.

If i add the ACC module and HUD to the car, will my dealer be able to reprogram the car? If so, will I need the VIN of a different car, or a VCI that has been issued to a different car with the exact options as mine? Are there any other software issues i may run into here, or is this something that is completely impossible?

I'm asking this on a few different forums for a few different cars, so if i hear back and have success, i'll post back here. Or if it won't work, i'll still post back just to confirm. But i figure here is a good place to start, since we have some guys that have tried stuff like this before.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
YIKES! You are a brave man sir. I do know the Nav unit stores the VIN in Eeprom on first start up. Additionally if the car did not come with XM radio, the programming in NOT present in the nav unit. I can only imagine what problems you are likely to have. These modules are starting to all store the VIN to prevent theft and chopping up of stolen vehicles. So to speculate on your question, I would assume the ACC and HUD would both have the vin stored from the donor car (it learns it from the IP over the can bus) which needs to be cleared so it can relearn the new vin. Most dealers won't do a vin relearn on a Nav unit much less anything else. My suggestion is buy a Tech2 and get ready to use it if you proceed.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess a good way to know if the ACC Module stores the VIN would be to find out if people have had success replacing broken ones with used ones.

I know the HUD doesn't store the VIN, as Camaro guys add them aftermarket all the time, and we even have one or two guys around here that have done it. (I actually bought my projector from one of them) they might on newer vehicles, but not an 06 STS :)

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
All navigation units are XM capable and do not require additional programming. If the XM module is not present on the data bus, the radio will simply not display the XM options on the screen. There 'may' be a option to enable in the IPM to toggle on but I don't recall. As for the HUD and ACC modules, these are not programmed with a VIN. There is information to suggest that the side blind zone alert module may be a different story though.

Regardless, there aren't a lot of projects like this that I won't tackle, but this is one of them. There is a significant lack of information (and therefore understanding of everything involved) to move ahead in my opinion. If I had contacts within GM willing to share information with me then perhaps. Otherwise I wouldn't touch this upgrade.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you happen to know how difficult the process of obtaining a VCI may be? From what the manuals and information I've found so far suggests, it could be as simple as just flipping the ACC and HUD switches in the IPM.

In order to enable the HUD options (set cruise display, etc) does the option just need to be enabled in the IPM, or does the IPM need to be reprogrammed with different software to simply make the option available? I'm feeling like there is a chance the software on everything could already support it, and it just needs the module in order to function. Or every module in the car may need to be reflashed. If that's the case, though, would it just be as simple as telling GM my car has the required options (HUD, ACC, engine and drivetrain, and the HID option) and getting the VCI number? Or do they just refuse to hand out VCIs for projects after the car is sold?

The guys at my dealer were worried about VIN numbers possibly being an issue, but they seemed confident that if I install everything correctly, they can enable it as long as nothing is VIN locked. I'm not sure if they've done things like this before (my Cadillac dealer is a popular location for modified Chevy and GMC trucks to get programmed), or if they don't really understand what I'm talking about.

What kind of STS came without XM?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
My understanding is that validating a VCI number is a high five figures operation if not higher. If an appropriate VCI number has already ready been validated for the combination of equipment you want it can be provided but if you're plowing new ground you better have a very large bank account.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
I've toggled off ACC and HUD in the IPM.
All this did for me was disable cruise entirely and modify the DIC controls to the non HUD layout and added the digital speed indicator in the list of DIC options.
Maybe it would have behaved differently if I unplugged the radar module but it wasn't something I felt like doing.
I agree with ddalder that this is not something you should attempt as we don't have enough information about the system.

Also even with HUD disabled in IPM the HUD still worked normally.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
GM isn't going to play ball with you. I helped someone add paddle shifters to an ATS. As I had suspected, this was quite possible. In the early stages of him trying to do this he thought that new software would need to be flashed into one of the modules. Despite working for a dealership, the people at the GM Technical Assistance Center (support group for dealer technicians) told him they do not offer any form of assistance in adding options to a vehicle that were not factory installed. This does make sense because there would be virtually no way of them tracking all these one-off mods if there was ever a recall due to faulty hardware or software.

As for XM, there was an option to not have it installed. I don't know what the criteria was (fleet vehicle, specific commercial use, etc.) but I have seen the very occasional STS build sheet with the RPO U2J - S-Band Not Installed.

·
Registered
2005 STS
283 Posts
My 2005 STS doesn't have XM, I'm thinking it's because it's a Canadian STS and XM wasn't available in Canada at that time.
I think koz doesn't have it either because of a delete.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
According to the VIN reporting services my STS is unique and there is none other in the world with its particular combination of features and accessories. The big separating item is U2J, XM delete, of which there are 114 in the world for the '06 model year.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
My 2005 STS doesn't have XM, I'm thinking it's because it's a Canadian STS and XM wasn't available in Canada at that time.
Yes, the CRTC didn't allow XM or Sirius in Canada until the 2006 model year vehicles.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So assuming the option is not in the IPM on cars that weren't equipped with it, if I took the car to the dealer and had them flash it with the ACC cruise software, even before I put the module in, would it succeed, assuming we can get a VCI? I know I'd likely get a DTC for the module missing, and that my cruise would be inoperable, but I'd like to start there since that's the part I'm worried about.

A tech at my dealer thinks he may know a guy that can get us a VCI, but I'd rather only waste a few hundred on programming instead of a few hundred on parts, a bunch of time, and then programming.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update on this:

The guys over on the Camaro forums have said that the Techline will allow things like this, and they charge a $50 fee in addition to what the dealer charges to add options after the car leaves the dealer. I'm not sure if this is just a Chevy thing, or if it's that simple with Cadillac as well. I'm going to take my car in in the next month or so go ahead and have them take a shot at it.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Just an update on this:

The guys over on the Camaro forums have said that the Techline will allow things like this, and they charge a $50 fee in addition to what the dealer charges to add options after the car leaves the dealer. I'm not sure if this is just a Chevy thing, or if it's that simple with Cadillac as well. I'm going to take my car in in the next month or so go ahead and have them take a shot at it.
If the dealer has ANY clue what you're talking about I'll be both shocked AND surprised! For some projects I've gone into dealers with specific directions on where to find what they need right in their Service Information system and in some cases, document reference numbers only to get the standard deer in the headlights look.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer gets a lot of Camaros and Chevy/GMC trucks that have had engine, transmission, differential, and other swaps. They're familiar with the process of reprogramming a vehicle, and the only thing they seemed worried about when I asked was whether or not the ACC module was VIN locked, as they haven't dealt with that specific module. I'm not sure if they warranty any of the programming they do, but I know when I went in to get the TCM reprogrammed with the updated software, the tech didn't even have to look up the documentation for it. I do intend to bring the documentation for reprogramming the EBCM, just to be safe.

It's not a giant dealer, so I'm thinking they make a good bit of money handling things like this for people like me, considering they charge almost $300 for the programming.

I'm curious to see if it'll need to be reprogrammed, or if just changing the option in the IPM is all that's required. I wouldn't be surprised if the EBCM already has the programming for ACC, but just doesn't use it until it's turned on in the IPM.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
same here, as dd, I wanted to have the NAV firmware updated even had the TSB in hand, and I got
the deer in the headlight look.NO ONE ever called me back, and forgot who I was !
Not sarcastic: If a Camero person told me he knew about our cars because of his knowledge
of Cameros, i would walk out, and go home. I have the greatest respect,
for Camero owners,but not with their knowledge of Cadillacs !
Happy Motoring ! :stirpot::):yup:

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Subsailor613 said:
same here, as dd, I wanted to have the NAV firmware updated even had the TSB in hand, and I got the deer in the headlight look.NO ONE ever called me back, and forgot who I was ! Not sarcastic: If a Camero person told me he knew about our cars because of his knowledge of Cameros, i would walk out, and go home. I have the greatest respect, for Camero owners,but not with their knowledge of Cadillacs ! Happy Motoring ! :stirpot::):yup:
As an owner please it's Camaro. Always has been. No e.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 RWD
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
same here, as dd, I wanted to have the NAV firmware updated even had the TSB in hand, and I got
the deer in the headlight look.NO ONE ever called me back, and forgot who I was !
Not sarcastic: If a Camero person told me he knew about our cars because of his knowledge
of Cameros, i would walk out, and go home. I have the greatest respect,
for Camero owners,but not with their knowledge of Cadillacs !
Happy Motoring ! :stirpot::):yup:
I agree, but one would think the general process would be similar. I don't expect a Camaro owner to be any help with diagnosing issues with my car, but I feel like the programming/changing process should be roughly the same. The V6 Camaro from 06 actually uses the same ECU as my car, likely programmed very similar. I figure if GM will let Camaro guys change stuff afterwards, why wouldn't they let us (who pay a lot more) change things as well? It may just be a deal of finding a dealer willing (and informed enough) to do it, which due to my area and the amount of aftermarket modding that happens with GM vehicles, seems to be possible for me.

I don't think the radar module is VIN locked.
I can't imagine it being VIN locked. I think if it were, the people that have attempted to fix their cars with used ACC modules wouldn't have gotten nearly as far as they have. (I think "Clean Radar" wouldn't show up if the radar was VIN locked)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts