Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
finally broke down and convinced my cheap ass to buy a V1 - installed it a few days ago and have yet to see a cop on the road...WTF.

Also, one of my buds at GM Racing had a new Z06 out....do you guys think this would look good in the V - I sure do.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Consider it cop insurance. If you don't see any cops after you installed the V1, it must be acting as a repellant. That's even better than early warnings!

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Send Crowan your address. He'll be glad to pay you a visit. Oh, nevermind. I just noticed you're in Detroit. The ONLY way to get a speeding ticket in downtown Detroit is to speed and _______________(fill in felony here). In other words speed and kill, speed and wave a loaded gun, etc. Ain't nobody getting pulled over in Detroit for "just" speeding. :histeric:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh contrar...i got pulled over doing 125/65 that the cop wrote down for 125/55 (i could see the sign like 10 feet behind me where it changed over from 65 to 55 - #$^%$#% (my thought of most traffic cops).

Anyway, i'm sure when detroiters head to the suburbs they get more grief than that.

That btw is the only ticket i have ever lost fighting in court - i am about 60-1.
B

ps
the ticket in Georgia doesn't count cuz i didn't pay nor have i been back since (130+/55) in Marietta - i didn't know it was the ticket capitol of the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Maybe I should invest in one of those Valentines. I just had the pleasure of learning the hard way that theres a school zone on my morning drive a couple of days ago. $150 for going 45 in a 30 (he said he was being "nice" by not marking that it was a school zone on the ticket, which would have made the limit 25)! Thats number 2 for me since I bought my CTS in June. Funny thing is, this is the second costliest ticket I've had, the only one that cost more was $250 for street racing (back when I drove a 96 Ford Explorer - I was passing 85 in a 35, thank god the cop didnt get a radar reading on me). It was me vs my friend in an 89 volvo (I was winning BTW), most pathetic street race EVER! The highest I've been ticketed for, 89 in a 65, only cost me about $80. Fortunately for me, I've been able to get a diversionary for every ticket I've had so far, but I dont think I qualify this time.:crying2:

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
barry007 said:
oh contrar...i got pulled over doing 125/65 that the cop wrote down for 125/55 (i could see the sign like 10 feet behind me where it changed over from 65 to 55 - #$^%$#% (my thought of most traffic cops).

Anyway, i'm sure when detroiters head to the suburbs they get more grief than that.

That btw is the only ticket i have ever lost fighting in court - i am about 60-1.
B

ps
the ticket in Georgia doesn't count cuz i didn't pay nor have i been back since (130+/55) in Marietta - i didn't know it was the ticket capitol of the US.
Barry,

It's been 8 years ago but I was blazing through downtown Detroit at 90+ and I had an unmarked car pull up next to me. He turned on his dome light so I could see him, motioned for me to slow down and then sped off at 100+. Now the State Police in Michigan are another story. Almost as bad as Ohio or Georgia.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don't tell me about the state police - Off. Fitzgerald used to pull me over every time he saw me...he must have personally given me 15 tix, it was like the running joke in my familiy...
B-"hi mom, got pulled up today"
Moms-"really son, Off. Fitzgerald again"
B-"yep"

thank god they closed the post in Northville...haven't seen him in a few years. hope that B***ard rots. I could be driving a SL65 by now.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,930 Posts
barry007 said:
...the ticket in Georgia doesn't count cuz i didn't pay...
Hey, Barry, does that mean I can't suggest Marietta for our next Detroit V get-together? :duck:

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
A few semi-random thoughts about this thread:

1) I've had a V-1 for about 4 months now. It has probabaly saved me about 3 times. Well worth the money.

2) I'd not sure how you could possibly speed in downtown detroit, what with the sink holes, that they lovingly refer to as potholes. Also the 26 wheel dump trucks lumbering along at their slower speeds, doesn't help.

3) I saw an SL65 on the ay into work on Tuesday. All I can say is WOW.

-Chris

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, those potholes are a killer... i lost two rims and two tires on i-94 in my 740 last fall. the hole was more like a swimming pool.
B

ps
still have yet to see a cop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
CVP33 said:
2005 CTS-V

Platinum of course. The fastest color on the planet. My story: Great car. Diff #1 blows. Good car. Diff #2 blows. OK car. Diff #3 blows. Bad car. Diff #4 blows. God help me. :histeric:
you blew 4 differentials?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sold my V1......'cause I put too much trust in it.......It worked just fine:thumbsup: ....no complaints from me. But, got "lasered" on I-94 near Ann Arbor doing 90 in a 70 by a state boy. He wrote it for 90:want: . Lucky for me, he didn't show in court and it got dismissed:shhh: . All the V1 did for me was telling me I'm getting pulled over. Just my $0.02 worth BTW.

·
Registered
70 Posts
lol, yeh one of my buds is a Pa Trooper, thats what he says about radar dectectors, it jsut lets you know your caught, and when he sees them hes more inclined to write the ticket, he said it shows him the person is a habitual speeder, of course you could get lucky and get some deflection from vehicles down the road, but thats only likely with wide band, which really isnt used much anymore.

·
Registered
51,864 Posts
Flyboy said:
Sold my V1......'cause I put too much trust in it.......It worked just fine:thumbsup: ....no complaints from me. But, got "lasered" on I-94 near Ann Arbor doing 90 in a 70 by a state boy. He wrote it for 90:want: . Lucky for me, he didn't show in court and it got dismissed:shhh: . All the V1 did for me was telling me I'm getting pulled over. Just my $0.02 worth BTW.
There is no early warning for laser unless you happen to be catching deflection or happen to be in line of sight from far away while another car in front of you gets tagged. If you can't handle the fact that there is no "early" laser detection warning and need to get rid of your detector for that reason, then you need to do that. But the V1 is superior in detecting radar and is invaluable in that aspect.

An officer may claim to write a ticket to the "habitual" speeder who was a detector, but they're rarely motivated enough to show in court.

I just had to go to the clerk magistrate here in Massachusetts on Thursday. It was for a ticket in which I was stopped by use of laser on Memorial Day Weekend. What I was able to determine, with the use of the V1, was that the officer claimed I was doing 79. I was doing that when the 2 cars in front of me slammed on their brakes and moved to the center lane. As I was slowing, I was targeted at about 68. The cop locked on at the initial reading on another car and tried to issue it to me. I didn't argue that point there. Anyway, I went to the clerk magistrate(the preliminary step before actual court) and the officer never sent in the ticket info.

Did the officer forget to send in the information on my ticket? Or did he need to fill a quota? Since Massachusetts feels it's important to increase these and have every officer on the road all Memorial Day Weekend long, maybe he just wrote it out, got credit, then just doesn't bother sending it in and going through the hassle?

·
Registered
51,864 Posts
mrnextel said:
lol, yeh one of my buds is a Pa Trooper, thats what he says about radar dectectors, it jsut lets you know your caught, and when he sees them hes more inclined to write the ticket, he said it shows him the person is a habitual speeder, of course you could get lucky and get some deflection from vehicles down the road, but thats only likely with wide band, which really isnt used much anymore.
On laser, maybe. Not so with radar.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The V 1 works. I was cruising down to MD about 3 weeks ago to a business conference in Anapolis and had the V1 start beeping. It started with one LED lighting then 2 -3 and so on, I started slowing down after the 2nd beep. I was doing about 80+.
I backed down to 65 as the beeping became more consistent. I had at least 3/4 mile advance warning before the V1 was beeping so much it was almost a steady BEEEEEEPPP. Then Bam, there was the Trooper in a ditch hidden behind some shrubs and brush.
At that moment I thanked the V1 and proceeded back up to a comfortbake cruising speed of 120+mph. ( than back to 80)..
The V1 does work, but, nothing is 100%!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have had one Valentine 1 “failure”. I am convinced that it did not, in fact, fail. As I was cruising slightly above the posted speed limit on a residential FOUR lane divided road, I crested a hill and immediately saw a Charlotte County Florida Sheriff. The V-1 did not emit a peep. I told my passenger (my best college friend of 20 years), that there is no way we were clocked. A 12-year-old Deputy pulled me over. He said “I clocked you at 51 in a 35”, to which I replied “nonsense”. This was not well received by the young gung-ho sub-sheriff. I stated: “This is a state-of-the-art, high-tech, expensive radar detection device, that quite frankly, you could not have fired on without some response from my V-1.” To this he replied: “ Oh yes I did! Your ‘expensive radar detector’ did not register my radar signal! Let me show you!” He then proceeded to take his radar gun and walk in front of my vehicle, shooting the signal at my hard-wired V-1. It immediately registered a full signal. Deputy jaw-drop. I said: “Thank you for proving my court testimony”. Since I could not forgo a days worth of business to contest this BS ticket, I acquiesced and took the reduced fine and point-reduction course.

Random taxation. They know you can’t fight moving violations because they are too trivial and time-consuming. The “law” is not your friend…

P.S. The bottom line is: there is no better radar detection than Valentine. My only failure was a “sham” operation by the Fascist Charlotte County Sheriff, Davenport.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live in laser central. Every copy is laser enabled and the ones in motion use moving X band as well. (best budget of any*cop shop in the area). So the V1 has been great on the moving xband and other out of area niceties, but in town is like tits on a bull. So On my*last car I put on a Blinder laser jammer. Technically (yup techincally) legal because it does not jam RF frequencies. (laser is covered by FDA, not FCC). Of course there may be an issue of interfering with police action... but that is another story again.

So the Blinder, works like a charm. Me 3, local constabulary 0. I highly recommend it. It used to be at blinder.de (german make). Have a glance if you're in laserville!

Cheers

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just got my first ticket in 18 years two Saturday's ago and my V1 didn't make a peep! Damn Kentucky Vehicle Enforcement cop that has the option of ticketing passenger cars while "placing special emphasis on commercial vehicles" to quote their mission statement. Jerk caught me passing another car on a four lane road that I drive regularly and know the limits (you can drive 64-65 mph in this 55 zone) and for just an instant passing this slower car I touched the gas and there he was, got me at 70mph for 10 seconds. My V1 has saved my ass many times but not this time :hmm:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Buy that new bra made in Germany, its about 3k, but it is suppose to be the shiznit of the new tech.. laser, radar, no matter what it is.. BUT it is not legal in states... it hooks to batterry somehow, and jams eltronics.. last i read about it, it also causes problems with cellphones.. thats another reason the fcc does not want it.. i think it is in popular mechanics 2 months back issue.. there was another write up on it about it setting off business alarms as you drove by certain alarms made which that eltronic bra could effect.. im going to dig thru my magazines too see which issue it was..
i laughed so hard when i read it.. i even teared in my tom collins..lol

later blitzer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
20 Participants
Peet