Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All: Hope you're all having a great summer. I have been told by several people that I have a vacuum leak that could be causing my engine of my 97 Cat to fluctuate up and down at idle. Sometimes the engine is smooth as silk, so smooth I wonder if its running sometimes. The ups and downs seem to occur mostly after a romp on the freeway. I'll pull up to a light and the tach shows the rpms going down to about 375 and then bounce back up to about 450 where it usually idles.
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a vacuum chart showing all the possibilities I can look at?
Another topic while I'm here is AC. I recharged my AC because I wasn't getting cooled air at all. The kit said to charge to between 30 & 38lbs. Mine leveled off at 34 which I guess is acceptable, but still no cooler. Otherwise the HVAC operated fine. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.Regards, Brian:banghead:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's hard to believe I'm the only one who has ever had this situation, but no replies seems to say that. When I find the cause I'll post it. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
343 Posts
In case you are still having the issues I may suggest the following for the AC,
- I was getting very little cold air and all ac charging, etc., showed norma. My cabin filter was virtually totally clogged. It made incredible difference once I ran the car having removed it and then replaced it.

For the vacuum leak I drive the 2001 Catera Base model and the vacuum routing changed a bit between 1997 and 2001. I can post my vacuum routing if you still need it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for coming back with at least a hope of finding my problem. It's not that I'm concerned about routing, it's that I have no idea where to look.It would certainly be appreciated if you would post what you have. I think the Catera is a great car and really enloy learning new things about it. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usedcat, you reminded me that I never have looked at the cabin filter. I'll take a peek and see whats up. Thanks again for your help. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
343 Posts

Above vacuum routing for my 2001 Catera. I believe people suggest that in order to check for a vacuum leak do an non-inflammable aerosol spray near vacuum tubes and joints and see if the engine shows any signs of change of speed, etc. Thi should lead you to hone into the possible area if their is a leak. There is also a question of obstruction of vacuum tubes specially the multi-ram tubes at the intake plenum and then the final guilty part is the MAF if it is dirtier.

Hope above is of some help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey UsedCat it turns out there was no vacuum leak afterall. I went onto Google and found that my symptoms could be caused by the throttle position sensor. I ordered and rec'd one from Rockauto and tossed it in there. Much to my pleasure my tranny is getting along with the engine just fine. It shifts smooth as silk in limp and sport mode. Thanks again for the chart, I'm sure it will come in handy. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
In case you are still having the issues I may suggest the following for the AC,
- I was getting very little cold air and all ac charging, etc., showed norma. My cabin filter was virtually totally clogged. It made incredible difference once I ran the car having removed it and then replaced it.

For the vacuum leak I drive the 2001 Catera Base model and the vacuum routing changed a bit between 1997 and 2001. I can post my vacuum routing if you still need it.

Good luck.
USEDCAT, I sure could use that vacuum routing chart if its no problem, Thank You.

Moe Antonio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts