Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05 STS
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my baby 05 STS V8 is finally leaking oil..it appears to be from the drivers side valve cover has anyone replaced their valve covers? if so any words of wisdom before I attempt it myself :confused:

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
215 Posts
The valve covers are called 'camshaft covers' in the service manual. Looks pretty straight forward according to the directions.

·
Registered
07 STS 1SG / 10 STS 1SG / 17 XTS
336 Posts
Neutrocuted made a really good write up of the job here... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/556889-rough-running-2006-northstar-valve-cover.html

I did them on my '07 over the holidays. Neutrocuted outlined the tools and parts you will need in his thread but I didn't see the need for the hood, wiper arm or the cabin air filter removal but that wire bundle on the passenger side is a bear to deal with. You also 'have' to cut and splice about 12 wires on the drivers side, there is no way around this as they didn't leave enough slack to maneuver the cover out.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
Ah, I have to call foul here. I had my 2005 STS done at Sewell here in Dallas. No cutting of wires. Something is wrong with your process. I have not done it, but had it done. They cut nothing.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
They suck to replace but you do NOT have to cut wires to replace the cam cover gasket. Wow.

·
Registered
07 STS 1SG / 10 STS 1SG / 17 XTS
336 Posts
They suck to replace but you do NOT have to cut wires to replace the cam cover gasket. Wow.
Since you claim to be experienced at doing these please tell us how you move the wires or where you unplug them from? I seriously would like to know cause I couldn't find any information on it when I researched.
Here is another post on the subject from Neutrocuted where he says he had to cut and splice also (last post)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/592857-2006-sts-northstar-v8-oil-leak.html

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
I am wondering if it makes a difference that the target example which required cutting of wires was AWD? Mine was a 2WD N* done at the dealer no cutting.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Since you claim to be experienced at doing these please tell us how you move the wires or where you unplug them from? I seriously would like to know cause I couldn't find any information on it when I researched.
Here is another post on the subject from Neutrocuted where he says he had to cut and splice also (last post)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/592857-2006-sts-northstar-v8-oil-leak.html
Believe me, I'd seriously like to know too. Mine is an AWD and maybe there is a difference. I've never seen under the hood of a RWD STS so I wouldn't know. All I know is that I took what I believed was the path of least resistance. I attempted to remove the cover at almost every step of the disassembly process. Unbolting the cover happened early on in the project. Attempts to remove it without having sufficient clearence resulted in having to remove other things that were in the way.

Also remember that I did not have access to specialized tools or a "whole car" lift, or step-by-step instructions. I had my car in my garage using a floor jack and jack stands to get underneath and alldatadiy as a guide. Maybe it can be done easily by dropping the engine subframe cradle from the bottom then have an unobstructed go at it all, I don't know. I do know when you have the right tools and the right equipment to do any job the job is easy, especially when you already have had instruction and experience.

So, please, fill me in 91RS. But know that I'm just curious because you could bet on the fact that I will not do this project again... I'll drive it into Lake Michigan first! But I'm sure there are younger guys out there that need this fix and would appreciate your knowledge.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*
125 Posts
When I did my valve cover gaskets over 2 years ago, I remember it being a huge mess.
Although, I did not need to cut and splice any wires. I think I took a really long route of breaking the wire harness (cable tray) and also removing the bracket that held them by going up under the car. Getting about an eighth of a turn on the bracket bolt took about 10 minutes to take the whole thing off.
To be clear, it is doable though without cutting wires. However, it is a lot of work and you need to break the cable tray

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maybe I thought 91RS was implying that there was an easier way to remove the cam covers without cutting the wires, and maybe there is. I do realize that the harness plugged in somewhere, but there just seemed to be too many other things in the way.

Before I cut the wires I was so tired that the thought of pulling off the harness turned my stomach and cutting and re-splicing the wires was what I figured to be the fastest way. After removing the plastic loom I cut the wires individually which took less than 60 seconds and the cover came right off. Splicing, sodering and silicone sealing the wires back together probably took about 30 minutes, but I was well rested by that stage of the project.

I know the future for these connections is not good but I will have something else by then.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
The A/C compressor and oil pressure sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts